What's new

Those Redheads From Seattle: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Excellent 3D with lots of pop-outs. Besides the opening titles in the first ten minutes that I watched:

1:30 newspaper
2:00 horses and wagon
2:20 people and firetruck
5:00 Gene Barry
6:20 person thrown at us
6:35 head and body bending toward us
6:50 hands
7:30 Gene Barry walking into screen
7:45 letter and hand
7:55 letter and hands
8:30 head
9:20 parasol pointed at us

G

GeorgeSlv

I can watch BD on my computer, but this disc doesn't work. I can't access the 2D.
(I notice that the cover does not state that 2D is included. Wouldn't that sabotage sales?)
DVD coming in Canada after May 23.
The person who wrote the notes on the back didn't watch the movie. There are no singing Edmonds Sisters who all work at the saloon. Better prepare a new printing of the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GeorgeSlv

Found some fancy software and can view it. It's great to see all that detail.
What is the size of the original film frames, and the aspect ratio? 1.37? Half-frame 35mm?

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Found some fancy software and can view it. It's great to see all that detail.
What is the size of the original film frames, and the aspect ratio? 1.37? Half-frame 35mm?

It was shot full frame but composed and matted for 1:66.... I don't believe half frame 35mm (I'm assuming you mean Techniscope style) shooting was used until 7 or 8 years later

G

GeorgeSlv

It was shot full frame but composed and matted for 1:66.... I don't believe half frame 35mm (I'm assuming you mean Techniscope style) shooting was used until 7 or 8 years later
Does that mean the frame AR was 1.50, and the 1.66 was cropped within that? 35mm 36x24mm? Did the film travel horizontally?
I'm looking at the difference in frames with 4:3.
By half-frame I mean film travelling vertically using the 24x18mm frame or whatever.
(I'm not on a professional level. My half-frame terminology is from still photography, sorry.)
I also notice that the height of the image in the BD disc is encoded at 1088p. Looks like that is then reduced to 1080 in playback.

G

GeorgeSlv

35mm 1.33 cropped to 1.66.
Actually 1.37, standard filming practice, width of image across the width of the 35mm film. Not along the length like VistaVision.
Look at the comparison between 4:3 and 1.66 cropping at IMDB
and see if you have further comments.
It looks like the 4:3 TV edition was cropped from the 1.66 picture roughly, not from the original 1.37 frame.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Actually 1.37, standard filming practice, width of image across the width of the 35mm film. Not along the length like VistaVision.
Look at the comparison between 4:3 and 1.66 cropping at IMDB
and see if you have further comments.
It looks like the 4:3 TV edition was cropped from the 1.66 picture roughly, not from the original 1.37 frame.

4:3 original is sometimes cropped to 4:3. Check out Kiss Me Kate at dvdbeaver

G

GeorgeSlv

I notice the Preview displays as 1.66 within 1.77. But the image is too wide. It looks right at AR 1.50. Something is not right.
(you don't want fat hips)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
George, with respect, you've been claiming that there's something wrong with this disc since before you even received it. In that time, you've had the three people most directly responsible for the disc's content participating on this thread and patiently answering your questions and allegations, and you've either ignored or argued with their responses. It's starting to feel like you're just trolling this thread.

G

GeorgeSlv

I have the disc.
Now you have completely spoiled this. If you can't talk tech objectively I'm outta here.

Somebody, cancel my registration now. I don't see how to do that.

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Surely issues like the aspect ratio of this film have been well settled at this stage anyway, the restoration being the best that can be done at present and as close to the original as possible.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
"Those Redheads from Seattle" 3D Blu-ray seems to be one of those perfectly authored discs, and I can't fathom a reason for any complaints by those who understand different motion picture formats.

Most people are extremely confused about film aspect ratios, and, even after having worked as the camera operator on several feature films, I can understand the public's confusion. Despite all the online articles about aspect ratios, it can boggle the mind and make one scratch their heads in bewilderment.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just watched my copy. Wow. It looks fantastic. Every time I watch one of these golden age 3D films, I am always astounded by how deep the 3D is, it's a true View-Master experience. Why oh why is modern 3D so shallow? The other thing that blows me away is the rechannelled sound. I had no idea technology had advanced to the point that true stereo separation could be achieved from a mono source. Eckhard Büttner has actually isolated musical instruments into the separate channels. If this is going to be the new normal, I will no longer be able to differentiate whether soundtracks were recorded in true stereo or rechannelled!

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
I just knew those dancing girls in 3D were going to be worth the wait!

Watched our disc and we really enjoyed the film with some excellent work done to bring another 3D gem back to the screen. I've mentioned it before I know bit it is truly wonderful to see the studio stars virtually stood in front of you in 3D along with familiar faces in the supporting cast like Dub Taylor.

Extras were nice including a shot from 2006 of people cuing up to see the film which perhaps could have been made more of but perhaps the opportunity was not possible but nice anyway. The resto demo was good and showed what you had to work with, also the sound track proved pretty amazing.

Well done again 3-D Film Archive and Kino Lorber for making it happen on Blu-Ray.

You'll gather I have now splashed out on a more versatile player to run A discs and pleased I did at reasonable cost.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got my disc and watched it on Tuesday night and am extremely satisfied with it! Looks and sounds great, with some of the most comfortable 3D viewing I've ever had. Not only is the depth and dimensionality great, but I also didn't see a hint of crosstalk nor did I have any eyestrain - the alignment is flawless.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Yes, again a very well done presentation. Thanks to all those involved....I look forward to each release. Certainly must be a maze of obstacles along the way......can you guess what I movie am hoping to see in the future?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, again a very well done presentation. Thanks to all those involved....I look forward to each release. Certainly must be a maze of obstacles along the way......can you guess what I movie am hoping to see in the future?

Hopefully in 3-channel stereo sound!

maxresdefault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks