What's new

Those Redheads From Seattle: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Universal, Warner Bros. and Columbia also used the toe-to-toe method of cutting in dupe negative footage opticals for the length of an entire shot rather than the few frames needed for the fade or dissolve. At the time, it was felt a drop in quality for those selected frames was worse than an entire shot being degraded. Not sure I would agree with that line of thinking but it is what it is.

Fox took the other position on their CinemaScope films and only cut in the frames needed for the effect.

I remember when the DIAL M FOR MURDER and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D Blu-ray's were released and many people were complaining about the dupe footage cut into the OCN. It was the first time the camera original had been used for a scan and the difference in quality was quite noticeable.

You can't change the editing decisions that were made sixty-plus years ago.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Universal, Warner Bros. and Columbia also used the toe-to-toe method of cutting in dupe negative footage opticals for the length of an entire shot rather than the few frames needed for the fade or dissolve. At the time, it was felt a drop in quality for those selected frames was worse than an entire shot being degraded. Not sure I would agree with that line of thinking but it is what it is.

Fox took the other position on their CinemaScope films and only cut in the frames needed for the effect.

I remember when the DIAL M FOR MURDER and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D Blu-ray's were released and many people were complaining about the dupe footage cut into the OCN. It was the first time the camera original had been used for a scan and the difference in quality was quite noticeable.

You can't change the editing decisions that were made sixty-plus years ago.
Yes, I agree that the "toe-to-toe" method is horrible. In fact, it is a delight to see A/B roll opticals on selected films later in the decade. Too bad that wasn't the preferred style all along. I can see where it would be more work in the editing and printing department, but the seemless look it has is awesome, Plus, we wouldn't be stuck with the lousy opticals we have now.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Of course I overlooked Amazon's cut.... but, as big a monster as Amazon is, 50% sounds awfully steep. As for the burning costs, I was going off multiple estimates of $1 per disc and $1 per disc burn for a total of $2 ea. for mass-burned blu rays (vs. your $3-4 estimate). But maybe that was for reduced quality.

Anyway, I'll stick to my argument that 3D rights holders and distributors can realize a larger profit by releasing titles like these in 3D. They still get the 2D sales from the standard 2D option (from the buyers who don't have 3D equipment yet still would buy these titles) plus the 3D sales to folks like me who otherwise would never buy '50s musicals barring the 3D effect.
You are obviously not familiar with the publishing industry. I know that for books, the industry standard is that the publisher distributes books to retailers at a 55% discount. This means that if the retail price of a book is $10, the retailer only pays the publisher $4.50 for it. This is why Amazon can sell books at 50% off and still make a 5% profit. I imagine the numbers are similar for DVDs and Blu-rays.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You are obviously not familiar with the publishing industry. I know that for books, the industry standard is that the publisher distributes books to retailers at a 55% discount. This means that if the retail price of a book is $10, the retailer only pays the publisher $4.50 for it. This is why Amazon can sell books at 50% off and still make a 5% profit. I imagine the numbers are similar for DVDs and Blu-rays.
It's going back many years now but I used to work at a video store and would see invoices that basically had the same discount off the retail price.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
This weekend dvdplanet has "Those Redheads from Seattle" 3D Blu-ray at the lowest price that I have seen and you can get it for 10% off that through Sunday night with code GALAXY

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This weekend dvdplanet has "Those Redheads from Seattle" 3D Blu-ray at the lowest price that I have seen and you can get it for 10% off that through Sunday night with code GALAXY
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up ordering 13 titles so Amazon has lost some business from me this weekend.:)

G

GeorgeSlv

Hello, I'm not a technical Home Theater person but am into this video stuff, could say a lot. Do you want it all at once or one at a time.
Teresa Brewer did not make it to that Sullivan show to preview the movie songs. Only Guy Mitchell sang. See tv.com etc.
I have the published music for Once More. If you want a link to access it say so. Teresa's name is on it so I assumed she had sung it. That's really useful information. It would be fine if someone could record a demonstration vocal.
(I'm mixing in some info from 3dfilmarchive).
Writing from Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As actors move across the viewing area, the sound moves with them. As someone sitting dead center in the listening area, it's an astonishing experience -- certainly a cut above standard stereo separation.​

Directional dialog! I love it!:dance:

In 3D, widescreen, audio commentary, restoration demo, 3-channel sound reconstruction, interview with Rhonda Fleming and trailer!

I don't know what the cost was, but I would love to have the 3-channel sound reconstruction done on more 3D titles that are released. Many of the 1950's 3D titles had 3-channel sound.

One strange thing. I received an email from Best Buy on 5/8 that it will not ship till 6/8. Today I receive an email from them that it was shipped today!

Last edited:

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
One strange thing. I received an email from Best Buy on 5/8 that it will not ship till 6/8. Today I receive an email from them that it was shipped today!

Amazon sent me an e-mail last week saying I could expect my discs right on the 23rd, implying that this meant receiving them sooner than anticipated.

Even if I were to get my discs a tad late, I am most looking forward to hearing the reactions from others on this board. The DCP we saw was so gorgeous, and the reconstructed stereo sound is remarkable. Roland, I think you and a lot of other folks are in for a treat. I know that my appreciation for Redheads went up considerably when I saw this restoration.

I'll say it again: Thank you, Bob, Greg, Thad, Jack and Eckhard.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
DVDplanet sent me a shipped notice today (May 10)
(which actually means logged with the USPS and usually does not reach them until the next day or two)
but this seems to mean that I'm getting this days before the new May 23 release date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DVDplanet sent me a shipped notice today (May 10)
(which actually means logged with the USPS and usually does not reach them until the next day or two)
but this seems to mean that I'm getting this days before the new May 23 release date.
Same here, I expect to have my copy early next week at the latest.

G

GeorgeSlv

Amazon Canada just shipped my BD. This must mean they produced a first run of discs and then decided to improve them. We are getting the copies with more dirt.
It looks like Amazon US made the arrangement to hold back for the next printing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThadK

Second Unit
Amazon Canada just shipped my BD. This must mean they produced a first run of discs and then decided to improve them. We are getting the copies with more dirt.
It looks like Amazon US made the arrangement to hold back for the next printing.

Why would you assume this? There was no "first run." There was only one copy of the master provided to Kino.

G

GeorgeSlv

Why would you assume this? There was no "first run." There was only one copy of the master provided to Kino.
I'm not assuming, I'm guessing, and it doesn't make sense. The explanation of the date change would need expansion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks