What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

3D This 3-D forum seems to be dying... is this an indication that the format is dying also? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I own two projectors -- one supports 3D -- and a handful of 3D Blu-rays:

* Frozen (purchased via Amazon.UK)
* Tangled (purchased while Disney was still supporting domestic 3D)
* ... And a couple of IMAX 3D documentaries.

That's about it! We also own three 3D glasses.
Ya' know what? Except for "Frozen", I have a hard time getting anybody in our household to don the 3D glasses. It's still worth it to me, though, just for "Avatar". I really don't feel like that movie can be properly viewed in 2D.

Here's the bottom line: 3D in the home actually began its death march when ESPN stopped broadcasting football games in 3D. The only source for 3D now is 3D Blu-ray and some expensive bandwidth constricted streaming services. 3D is not supported in the UHD Blu-Ray format. 3D is not supported in any of the new 4K UHD flatscreens. The format -- at this time -- is moribund in the home. That needs to be accepted.

Perhaps the only hope for the future of the format in the home really is "Avatar 2".

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
3D is not supported in any of the new 4K UHD flatscreens.

You are misinformed on this point.

Also, while 3-D has not been included in the UHD Blu-ray spec, to date all UHD Blu-ray players have supported the 3D Blu-ray format. With only one or two exceptions, the vast majority of digital 3-D movies have been mastered at 2k, so there isn't any pressing urgency for a 4k 3-D format.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it was premature to have stated that none of the new-for-2016 UHD flatscreens support 3D. However, according to this article, only 20% of new TVs built for 2016 will support 3D:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/no-more-3d-tvs-the-future-is-flat-for-samsung-and-lg

Look: We’re enthusiasts here so naturally we’re going to support 3D as it’s the only way to recreate the theater experience at home for certain movies. But we need to accept the fact that -- right now at least -- home 3D doesn’t have the full support of the studios and the majority of TV manufacturers. The format is a niche within a niche and its industry support is dwindling.

And just for the record, I do intend to continue to purchase 3D Blu-rays going forward. For example, I intend to purchase the new Star Wars movie in 3D when its released in December. And I'll also purchase "Jungle Book" in 3D if I can find it. But it's going to take a movie that demands to be viewed in 3D to really turn the trends around "for the masses" at this point.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I love my home 3D setup, but mass acceptance is never going to happen. (I own a projector, not a 3D TV.) I'll keep buying the 3D titles that offer something other than a 2.5D experience to keep the flame flickering.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Perhaps it was premature to have stated that none of the new-for-2016 UHD flatscreens support 3D. However, according to this article, only 20% of new TVs built for 2016 will support 3D:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/no-more-3d-tvs-the-future-is-flat-for-samsung-and-lg

Look: We’re enthusiasts here so naturally we’re going to support 3D as it’s the only way to recreate the theater experience at home for certain movies. But we need to accept the fact that -- right now at least -- home 3D doesn’t have the full support of the studios and the majority of TV manufacturers. The format is a niche within a niche and its industry support is dwindling.

And just for the record, I do intend to continue to purchase 3D Blu-rays going forward. For example, I intend to purchase the new Star Wars movie in 3D when its released in December. And I'll also purchase "Jungle Book" in 3D if I can find it. But it's going to take a movie that demands to be viewed in 3D to really turn the trends around "for the masses" at this point.

no one is in denial about 3D blu-ray's niche status. I just don't see why a niche can't endure, potentially indefinitely, or at least until the next big revival of interest.

The thing is, reports of the 'death' or 'terminal decline' of 3-D have always been premature. I don't think it's constructive language to use. Throwing those terms around we're more likely to talk 3-D into an early grave than save it. It discourages investment in 3-D at every level.

I think it's been a mistake among some enthusiasts to say 3-D would ever take over everything, to the point where all content would be 3-D, because the flipside is that when that doesn't happen, people seem to assume 3-D will go extinct.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I think 3D is breathing, especially now that Bob is working on several classic 3D titles and Disney is releasing Zootopia in 3D Blu-ray. In fact I just purchased a new Sony front 3D projector for my home. I'm doing all I can to support the niche format.

Last edited:

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Glad to hear it Bob . Shame about those rights to Mark of the Wolfman . Would be great to finally see that in 3d.

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Their are quite a few Chinese 3d films out on blu ray which are really good

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
I pre-ordered my customary two copies! I encourage everyone with an interest in vintage 3-D (and the wherewithal to do so) to consider doing likewise, to show support for these vintage releases.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Would love it if someone would release Castle's "Fort Ti" (columbia) in 3-D. It was the first 3-D film I ever saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jw_Malibu
Recent bookmarks