What's new

Attention 3D Enthusiasts: Please help get MONEY FROM HOME on 3D Blu-ray from Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I couldn't script anything better than what HTF member Mike Ballew has written below. Please read this post, followed by a statement from our own Bob Furmanek. Please be certain to contact Olive Films. That information has been included below....

From Mike Ballew:

Speaking frankly, we would not accept THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, GONE WITH THE WIND, or BLACK NARCISSUS in black and white. We would not accept THIS IS CINERAMA, BEN-HUR, or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in pan-and-scan. We who are serious about film and who respect the original intent of filmmakers really cannot accept MONEY FROM HOME in 2-D, and we should respectfully speak up.

MONEY FROM HOME is an historically significant 3-D title. By my reckoning, it's one of four prestige 3-D titles released during the holiday season of 1953-'54. It was hoped in some circles that the combined impact of KISS ME KATE, HONDO, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, and MONEY FROM HOME would turn the tide of public opinion decisively in favor of well-handled 3-D.

MONEY FROM HOME
is a fun, colorful film with gorgeous 3-D, very well done from a technical perspective. This is especially remarkable given that it is one of two films shot using Technicolor's own proprietary 3-D rig, which involved dual 3-strip color cameras. That's six bands of film going through the rig at once!

If Olive Films does intend releasing MONEY FROM HOME in 2-D, they have surely come to this decision without weighing how much enthusiastic support they will receive from the collecting community if they release the Blu-Ray in 3-D. I think it behooves us to get in contact with Olive Films, to very respectfully impress upon them that a 2-D-only release is unacceptable but a 3-D release would receive our wholehearted support.

Here is their contact information, obtained from their website:

Olive Films
1528 W Adams St
Suite 1
Chicago, IL 60607 USA

[email protected]

From 3-D Film Archive Bob Furmanek:

We pulled many favors and were prepared to create a flawless 3-D master. We had many important individuals on board to make it happen, including Paramount studios; members of the Packard Humanities Institute; the UCLA Film and Television Archive; FotoKem labs in Burbank - and Jerry Lewis.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[email protected]

Dear Olive Films,

I am disheartened to learn that you are not planning to release MONEY FROM HOME in 3D, as it was originally released in 1953.

This, despite the fact that there is strong support for the release from 3-D Film Archive, Paramount Pictures and even Jerry Lewis.

Please do not deprive 3D enthusiasts the opportunity to own this film in the desired format.

Thank you for your consideration.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Ditto. Mine also added as follows:

To: Olive Films

Hello, from Down Under.

As an avid film collector who boasts many Olive Blu Rays in his collection, I wish to add my voice to those requesting Money From Home to be released in 3D.

It's evident from its Signature Editions that Olive Films listens to its patrons; these have rightly elevated esteem for Olive and its products. In that same spirit, I'd urge Olive to take on board the wishes of classic film-lovers to seize the fleeting opportunities available to restore and release its 3D films in line with the filmmakers' original intent.

You may count on an additional sale of Money From Home in 3D.

Sincerely,

Ramin...

Western Australia

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Sent...

Dear Olive Films

Can I firstly thank you for the good choice of Blu-Ray films you offer your customers and in particular Dragonfly Squadron in 3D which has delighted my family and also other 3D film collector friends of our here in the United Kingdom who have purchased it.

Restoring and saving these 1950's 3D films I believe is of paramount importance as a vital piece of cinema history and your own and others contribution is extremely welcome.

I've been a media professional now for 40 years and would like to bring to your attention another very important 3D film MONEY FROM HOME 1953 which I believe whole heartedly deserves restoration to 3D Blu-Ray giving future generations the opportunity to see some of the greatest stars in 3D and in glorious Technicolor.

I do along with many others have fond memories of Jerry Lewis filming over here in the mid 1990's and I am sure you will probably be aware what a huge following Jerry has here in the UK even today. His knowledge of the film making process is also extremely well respected here.

Can I the please encourage Olive Films to release MONEY FROM HOME on Blu-Ray in 3D so that the thousands of fans can enjoy this film in its original intended format. I really believe we owe it to Jerry Lewis and others in this film to see this on the screen again in 3D.

Kindest regards.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
My 2 cents just submitted:

TO: The Good People at Olive Films

I am a heretofore happy customer who has purchased dozens of your releases.

Word has it that you are contemplating a release of the 1953 classic "Money from Home" in a 2D (flat) version, rather than in the 3D format in which the movie was first screened.

For a relatively modest additional investment -- emphasis on investment -- you would be able to release this movie to an appreciative fan base in 3D. By doing so, you would be able to charge -- and get -- a premium. You also likely would receive praise in press outlets and blogs which might present a halo effect of sorts for Olive, your other offerings and your efforts overall.

If you release the movie in 2D, you will get no sale from me.

Respectfully and appreciatively,

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Did Bob ever say what derailed the effort from December 2014? Was it something that a write-in campaign has a chance to change?

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Olive Films turned down the previous offer. A write-in campaign will make it clear to them that there is strong interest in seeing this film in 3-D. It may do nothing. It may work. We don't know if we don't try.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I joined the email crowd by sending Olive a note expressing that my only purchase for "Money from Home" would be if released in proper polarized/active vision 3D Blu-ray.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Letter sent. Hope it helps and they reconsider doing this 2D only. I'd love to see this one done right. I've enjoyed a lot of Olive's releases especially their Signature titles. They've released a ton of MGM catalog titles that I've scooped up. hope they don't start to disappoint. I really hope everyone on here sends then an e-mail or letter.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alas, an official reply from Olive Films...

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for getting in touch. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. Throughout its release history, Money From Home has been presented to audiences in both its 3-D version and standard release version. At this present time, Olive Films is releasing Money From Home in the standard version format. This presentation has been lovingly restored to highlight the striking Technicolor photography and timeless comedy of Martin and Lewis. It is our goal to make this film available in HD as soon as possible, and our current 2017 release of the Blu-ray will feature the standard release version of the film.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Best regards,
Olive Films

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My response from Olive:

Hi Allen,

Thanks for getting in touch. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us, and we're glad you enjoyed our release of Dragonfly Squadron. Throughout its release history, Money From Home has been presented to audiences in both its 3-D version and standard release version. At this present time, Olive Films is releasing Money From Home in the standard version format. This presentation has been lovingly restored to highlight the striking Technicolor photography and timeless comedy of Martin and Lewis. It is our goal to make this film available in HD as soon as possible, and our current 2017 release of the Blu-ray will feature the standard release version of the film. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Best regards,
Olive Films

This release will be no buy for me. I will make due with Legend DVD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks