What's new

THE WIRE season 4 (see post #1 re: SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The person that snitched on Bodie was Marlo, himself. He saw Bodie talking to McNulty after Bodie got out of jail. I am not sure who michael shot.

When can we start talking about the episode without spoilers. Since the show aired on Sunday, I assumed we didn't need spoilers, but I hid my response in case the admins want us to keep them hidden.

James St

Supporting Actor
The season is over. I don't see the need for spoilers anymore.

Its been a week since I saw the finale but I remember someone telling Marlo about Bodie getting into a squad car. Marlo then made the decision. I don't think that was him that saw Bodie.

I'm not sure if it was the snitch that got shot by Michael. Why kill a lookout who brings you information? Perhaps it was just some low level rival who wasn't in the coop. Michael had to prove himself to Marlo before he was going to get Bodie's corner. I was surprised to see Duquan working it with him though.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Marlo didn't see Bodie. They had a scene where the guy who saw Bodie told Marlo about it.

I like how the head of homicide (don't know his name, big fat guy) is so far from the typical tv show. Sure he gets frustrated, especially at Freamon, but it's a controlled annoyance and I get the feeling from him that he knows what Freamon is doing is right. A normal show would have him screaming and yelling about all the new red names.

Anybody else miss Stringer this season? I can't believe I didn't. I went from having 2 favorite characters (McNulty and Stringer) to not being able to decide. Cutty, Colvin, Wee-Bay, Omar, Bunk, and even Chris, Snoop, and Marlo have my complete attention any time they are on screen.

It's sad that Daniels could get a good education in that area of Baltimore back then and look at it now...

What's to blame? Is it drugs alone that has destroyed the urban areas? Is it the entitlements? That scene got me thinking about it...

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I like how they demonstrate the compartmentalization of the job. The job of a homicide cop is to clear homicides that come their way. It's not to find homicides to solve. And their careers are made or broken by their clearance rate.
So there's a flaw in the system where being 'police' as Kima, McNulty, and Freamon aspire to, can end up making you, your unit, and the force look bad. You keep your head down and do your job exactly as it's defined [get a murder from a beat cop, put it on the board, work it, solve it] and you have a chance of surviving. You go and make more work for yourself, even if it directed at making the whole system more effective, and you end up with a bum clearance rate and place yourself at peril.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i thought Marlo did see Bodie get into the car with McNulty, when he went down to booking with the lawyer to get Chris and Snoop out. the guy he was talking to afterward was just a sounding board about whether it was something he should be concerned about or not, and he decided that he couldn't take the chance, and told Chris to have his new shooter do it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to watch the episode again, but I thought Marlo saw Bodie get in McNulty's car when he was bailing out Chris. I could be wrong.

RobertW just beat me to the posting. The way he described it is the way I remembered it, too.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Marlo is the meanest of the targets, like Bodie said, he kills these guys because he can. Avon would never of thought about stealing the candy and having the security gaurd killed.

Marlo didn't see Bodie with McNutty, it was the guy who was going to post bail for Chris and Snoop.

I think the guy Michael killed was just a corner dealer, nobody of any importance. Not to surprised that Dookie was working for Michael not much he can do anyway, not enough people to help him in life. A little surprised that the kid Michael beat up was working for him, but I guess it's just business.

Still pissed at Herc for screwing Randy over, fuked Randy's whole life up cause he is a dumb sht when he gave Little Kevin info in the interogation. Used to laugh at his stupidity with Carver but Herc has stayed a douche bag.

I agree, the Rawls of the department only want nice clearance rates, not to go out and find new murders. Always found that wierd, but understandable.

Didn't Chris throw the nail gun away a few episodes back? Or am I thinking of some other scene/movie/show?

Thought it was funny that Prop Joe added 10% back on that shippment, Omar sells it back to him for .20 on the dollar and Joe sells it back to the Co-Op .30 on the dollar. Always working that angle. Glad to see the Greeks back, maybe more of them next season?

Chris was my favorite character of S4, Carcetti still makes me laugh at times, when he has to eat those sht sandwhiches. He will probably fall into the selfish/corupt catagory soon, just can't walking that tightrope.

This was a great, great season, still amazed that each year the quality is still very high. 4 truly great seasons of any show is a bonus in life. One of the couple shows that I think people are missing out by not watching.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Given that The Wire is one of my favorite shows, and given all the positive reviews I was seeing for season 4, I decided to record the entire season on my DVR and not watch it until it was over. As it turns out, some things came up throughout December and I just got around to watching it - took less than two weeks to watch the entire season (the only way to watch serial TV as far as I'm concerned). I completely avoided this thread (and any other temptations) and fortunately was able to watch without having seen or heard a single spoiler.

Some random thoughts:

- McNulty was actually in it more than I was expecting, but he is definitely knocked down a peg being off the sauce. At least Bunk seemed to step in for him. Maybe the pressures of being back with major crimes will push him back off the wagon in season 5? Is Dominic West's contract dispute all worked out now?

- I too took about 5 episodes before realizing Snoop was actually female.

- It also took me several episodes to figure out who the broad McNulty is with now is. She is the uniform officer from the docks in season 2. I don't remember them even shacking up back then...did they?

- I know a lot people complain about what a bad actor Lance Reddick (Daniels) is, but I think the guy who plays "Cutty" far trumps him in lack of acting ability. And even worse than him is Ed Norris (who plays homicide detective Ed Norris), but he has a much smaller role. (The folks from the Baltimore area should know all about Ed Norris). Also, did anyone from the Baltimore area notice the (now former) Governer of Maryland Robert Erlich played the security guard of the fictional governer in the show? It was a very brief appearance in the second-to-last episode where he told Carcetti the governer could now see him. Pretty funny.

- I questioned whether Marlo would be a good "villain" when they introduced him in season 3, but he more than fit the bill. He's very subtle, but he's an evil motherf*cker. Good thing Omar was always a step ahead of him.

- I agree with whoever said McNulty was merely playing Bodie to eventually work some info out of him. I don't think there was any respect there, but perhaps some compassion for his situation.

- I'd have to say, as much as I tried not to buy into the hype of this season, I can't think of a season of ANY television show better than this season of The Wire. Ever. There were so many different story and character arcs going on, and I found every single one of them compelling. (Although my least favorite was probably the Cutty arc.)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I was also in the fog regarding Snoop, however in episode one's opening scene where Snoop was buying a new nail gun I recall thinking the actor could easily play a woman.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't believe it was a contract dispute so much as a lack of availability due to other commitments. And the producers did their best to work around it. With HBO's early decision to greenlight season 5, we can only hope the scheduling works out better.

M.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That actually makes sense. While I still think Reddick is not a great actor in The Wire, he does have a style that I think would work better in a theater. As for Chad Coleman...I'd have to see it to believe it. In The Wire he sounds like he's reading his lines out of a book.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'll have to pay more attention to Cutty's scenes, assuming there are any in season 5. On stage he was relaxed and "natural" ("naturalness" being an illusion that actors create on stage, just as they do on film :) ).

The play with Chad Coleman also included Frankie Faison, who plays Burrell. Now there's an actor with some serious chops.

Remember Brother Mouzone? The actor who plays him, Michael Potts, is currently in a show on B'way called Grey Gardens in which he has two roles in two time periods. If he hadn't listed The Wire in his credits, I don't think I would have recognized him.

M.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The Law and Order episode which just ended on TNT ("Gunplay", 7-8PM, EST) featured no less than 3 The Wire alumni: Hassan Johnson (Wee-Bey), Wendell Pierce (Bunk) and Isiah Whitlock Jr (Davis).

But there is more: The episode started with a murder of undercover cops heard... on a wire, the bad guys look straight out of the show and heck even one of the thugs looks so much like Gbenga Akinnagbe (Chris) I thought it was him.

Weird eh? Homage? Reaching?

--
H

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
The Law and Order universe also exists in the Homicide universe which is of course tied to the Wire as part of the Baltimore trilogy so its not entirely impossible for it to be somewhat of a homag or nod to the show.

BTW, Hassan will always be Wee-Bay just like Wood Harris will always be Avon and Idris Elba will always be Stringer Bell.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Amy "Beadie" Ryan is unrecognizable as a mother who is as damaged as she is... hot in the excellent detective drama Gone Baby Gone (dir. Ben Affleck). Quite the revelation! :eek:.

Michael "Omar" Williams also plays a bit part as a cop.

--
H

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
HBO has started running some promos for the fifth, and final season, but it is mostly the actors talking about this season, but no actual footage of scenes from the upcoming season.

I can't wait for its return. Does anyone know the exact date episodes will start airing?

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I just re-watched the 4th season on in demand, even better the second time around. I can't wait for the new season (starts a week from Sunday I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks