What's new

The Wind and the Lion (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I remember seeing both THE WIND AND THE LION and THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING theatrically a few months apart in 1975. What an impact those two pictures made on an impressionable 13-year-old!

C'mon, Warners, get to it and put THE WIND AND THE LION out there and re-issue MAN WHO WOULD BE KING properly this time, will ya'?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Peter, that was quite an experience to see two such wonderful films released within months of each other.

Interesting how Sean Connery, when he was seeking deperately to shake being typecast as James Bond, chose the most wildly "non-urban-sophisticate" roles he could find: Zed in Zardoz, Carnahan in King (or was that Cane's role?), Reisuli in Lion--and he was magnificent in all of them.

Then there's Robin and Marian coming up in about a month!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Now we get to hit Briggs with the red diaper - Connery played the role of Danny Dravot in The Man Who Would Be King. The current DVD isn't THAT bad. I recall being quite impressed with it until I got my Marquee 8501LC theater. Let them do W&L first.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dravot! That's correct. Three lashes with the diaper! :)
And I misspelled Michael Cain's name, as well--one lash for that offense.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
"And am I the only one who keeps a bottle of "Glenlivet - 12 years old" on hand when watching The Man Who Would Be King?"

You're not alone! Of course The Man Who Would be King isn't the only occasion when I imbibe in The Glen Livet 12 Years old!

"I do need to track down one of those Martini-Henry rifles though."

You and me both! This rifle would cover Zulu and Zulu Dawn in addition to The Man Who Would Be King! Decent originals, however, are pretty pricey.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Well, I didn't think Milius' BIG WEDNESDAY, would ever make it to DVD, but it's coming out this month with a Milius commentary (from Warners, no less) so maybe there's hope.

I'm not a big fan of reediting films, but there's a great scene in the trailer of TWATL that begs to be reinstated in a DVD release. In it Roosevelt (what a great performance by Brian Keith!) says "If I had it my way, we'd fight it out man to man..".

While on the subject of Milius, I'd also like to see a DVD release of FAREWELL TO THE KING. MGM currently controls the rights (it was an Orion release). It's one of Milius' best and features an incredible performance by Nick Nolte. Milius is known as an action director, but (like Peckinpah)he's pretty good with actors, too.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
"Pedicaris alive or Risuli dead!"

Interesting historical note. It was MR Pedicaris who was kidnapped by Risuli (played by Connery) and not Mrs. BUT, Candice Bergan was nicer to look at.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One month bump....
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Never seen the whole movie before, but it looked pretty fine judging from the few scenes I caught. Would definitely like to see this on DVD. What, Sean Connery isn't a bankable name? :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen The Wind And The Lion. It's all down to it not being available to me in OAR.
Who owns the video rights?
If Big Wednesday (which I quite like) is on DVD, then so should The Wind And The Lion. It sounds like a great film. I love The Man Who Would Be King.
PS: The region 2 edition of Zulu is brilliant. Hope region 1 gets the same edition soon. What a transfer! :emoji_thumbsup:
Gordy

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
PS: The region 2 edition of Zulu is brilliant. Hope region 1 gets the same edition soon. What a transfer!
I will probably be getting it on Friday. Is the transfer as good as Doctor Zhivago's? So far the best I've seen from this period - better even than Lawrence of Arabia's.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Fred. :)
Warner's/Lowry's, Dr Zhivago DVD is immaculate and transfers that clean, sharp and (I don't want to say "colour-accurate"! ;) ) smooth are rare. But I would say that Paramount's Zulu transfer is pretty damn close to that quality.
I have came up with a Film-Video line a la Donnie Darko's "FEAR|-----|LOVE" line and I would rate Zulu...
VIDEO |------------------------------------------------X--------------------------| FILM
:D
Enjoy the disc!
Gordy

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
TWATL can have the same effect on a viewer as the great David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia.
Well, let's not get carried away! :D
Seriously though, count me in as a big fan of this movie. I am quite surprised we don't have this on DVD yet. My dad still considers this one of his favorite titles that he has on Laserdisc.
Come on Warner (or MGM?)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks