What's new

The Wind and the Lion (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Any word on this coming out on DVD? All that is available is the crappy P&S VHS version.

This is probably my favorite Sean Connery movie, and as I have NEVER seen it in its OAR, would love to own a nice digital transfer of it.

I don't even care about extras (though some would be nice). Just having a copy with clean picture (the WHOLE picture) and crisp sound would be fantastic.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yes. Please. My money is ready.
Who even owns the rights to W&L? The P&S VHS is MGM IIRC, but there has been debate around here where the rights ended up. Normally it would be Warners but IIRC this was an exception.
"Has he no respect for human life?"
"Has he no respect for human life?"

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
"You are a great deal of trouble."

The LD was widescreen and looked pretty good. This is a great film that deserves to be released along with a reissue of Man Who Would Be King.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"A Winchester? What is this Winchester?"

I've seen this film numerous times in the commercial cinemas back in the mid-'70s. It's an adventure film of the highest order, an adventure in the truest sense of the word.

I would buy a correctly framed DVD in a heartbeat. It's a mystery as to why this title isn't available yet.

"Pedicaris alive or Reissuli dead!"

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Candice Bergen really looks good holding a rifle. Not only that but she serves Chateau Margaux for lunch.... (too bad the bottle broke :frowning: )

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I requested this in "Feedback" around a year or so ago. The thread died a quick, painless death, and I assumed there were not many fans of this John Milius film here. I swear, this is a rousingly good adventure film--and it was released only a few months before another great adventure film, the aforementioned The Man Who Would Be King--speaking of which, that disc could use a major overhaul (new transfer, new sound, the works).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree with Jack. Big surprise. :)
TWATL would round out my Connery collection from that period, and I do support a decent reissue of TMWWBK.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I would love to see a release of this excellent film. A commentary by Milius and Goldsmith would be most welcome as well. Sadly, considering Milius is not exactly a politically correct director and this film isn't very popular among the general public, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Milius has the ability to describe the nobility of BOTH sides of a conflict. That's why his films are so great.
The Wind and The Lion - director
Apocalypse Now - screenplay writer
Red Dawn - screenplay and director
Link Removed
Two of these films are IMHO masterpieces of film. The other is much better that what people remember.
What Milius brings to W&L (please don't call it "twatl") is both glorifying and making fun of machismo.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Good idea. Anybody got a good address for Milius? IMDB lists his agent as:
Jeffrey Shumway
ICM
8942 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
But a direct address would be better. Maybe if I enclose a photo of my rifle collection and a copy of my C&R FFL he will pay attention to me.
:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"Military intervention!"

True, John Milius is somewhat of a "gun-rights" advocate (witness many scenes from Red Dawn) and not "acceptably" liberal, he sure knows how to make a fun, good movie. And The Wind and the Lion did quite good business at the box office in 1975; it was considered a hit. The film did fade from view rather rapidly, though.

"The French and the Germans aren't going to like this."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
somewhat of a "gun-rights" advocate
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Jack is using his "British" accent again with mild understatement.....are you Steve C. today?
milius.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Here's an address for Milius from an NRA site. But be advised it's not personal since Chuck Heston lists the same address:
John F. Milius
11250 Waples Mills Road
Fairfax VA 22030-9400
Edit: Yeah this is just the NRA site for members of the board of directors.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"He has the look about him."

I suggest a snail-mail campaign to his agent's Beverly Hills P.O. address. All it would take is four or five letters coming to Mr. Milius's attention.

"My uncle is a wonderful man!"

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
"He taught me to shoot a rifle when I was five years old!"
A paper letter from me will be immediately read and not tossed. My envelopes have a return address starting with "Law Offices of..." stamped on them. One of the sad advantages of being an attorney I suppose. I suppose I shouldn't mention Fluffy Pumpkin or my ACLU card.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks