What's new

Pre-Order National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
5a8a58c1-e693-1c57-d28b-0d45905753e1.png

Hello!

National Lampoon’s Vacation, directed by Harold Ramis and starring Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo as Clark and Ellen Griswold, will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray and Digital on June 27. As Warner Bros celebrates its 100th anniversary, this film is highlighted as a studio gem on its 40th anniversary.
52df5f6b-0043-077c-15cd-82ac8f8afb5f.jpeg
NATIONAL LAMPOON’S VACATION
NEW TO 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM AND DIGITAL

HAROLD RAMIS’ ROAD TRIP COMEDY FILM STARRING CHEVY CHASE AND BEVERLY D’ANGELO WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

Own it on 4K Ultra HD and Digital on June 27
Burbank, Calif., May 10, 2023National Lampoon’s Vacation, directed by Harold Ramis and starring Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo as Clark and Ellen Griswold, will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray and Digital on June 27. As Warner Bros celebrates its 100th anniversary, this film is highlighted as a studio gem on its 40th anniversary.

The 1983 classic comedy film from Warner Bros. Pictures was written by John Hughes and was based on his short story “Vacation ’58 which appeared in the publication “National Lampoon.” The film was produced by Matty Simmons and also stars Imogene Coca, Randy Quaid, John Candy, Anthony Michael Hall, Dana Barron, and Christie Brinkley in her acting debut. National Lampoon’s Vacation also features special appearances by Eddie Bracken, Brian-Doyle Murray, James Keach, and Eugene Levy.

Ultra HD* showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

National Lampoon’s Vacation will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray for $33.99 SRP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital download of the film. Fans can also own National Lampoon’s Vacation in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on June 27.

About the Film:
Everything is planned, packed – and about to go hilariously wrong. The Griswolds are going on vacation. In the driver’s seat is Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), an Everyman eager to share the open road and the wonders of family togetherness. Myriad mishaps, crude kin (Randy Quaid), encounters with a temptress (Christie Brinkley), financial woes, Aunt Edna (Imogene Coca) on the roof, one security guard (John Candy) and 2,460 miles later, it’s a wonder the Griswolds are together. There’s never been a family vacation like it. Except maybe yours. And that helps explain why National Lampoon’s Vacationremains so popular… and so very funny.

Ultra HD Blu-ray Elements
National Lampoon’s Vacation Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:
• Commentary with Chevy Chase, Randy Quaid, Matty Simmons, Harold Ramis, Anthony Michael Hall, and Dana Barron (98 Minutes)

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS
On June 27, National Lampoon’s Vacation 4K UHD will be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

BASICS
PRODUCT ERP
Ultra HD Blu-ray $33.99*
Standard Street Date: 06/27/23
EST Street Date: 06/27/23
Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish, French
Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Parisian French
Run Time: 98 minutes
Rating: R

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

BestBuy Steelbook

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have to wonder if there's some sort of corporate mandate where Warner has to use a modified National Lampoon logo instead of the one from the era?

THEN:

Screenshot_20230509_082501_Samsung Internet.jpg

NOW:

Screenshot_20230509_082823_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just an observation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Would never have caught that, but an interesting observation nonetheless.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's some confusion as to what the North American release(s) entail. There's a fancy boxed set edition that is being released in the UK, which seems exclusive to them. I think the US is getting a Steelbook in addition to the standard retail edition but it is unclear if we're also getting that fancy box. The images that are popping up online aren't helping.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m in. Always have liked this one. Hopefully this release will have cleaned up the video issues that have plagued the previous BluRay/DVD.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I wonder if they were able to get the music rights back to include The Pointer Sisters song, "I'm So Excited," during one of the scenes with Christie Brinkley driving in her sports car. It's been replaced for years by the same group's "Little Boy Sweet."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wonder if they were able to get the music rights back to include The Pointer Sisters song, "I'm So Excited," during one of the scenes with Christie Brinkley driving in her sports car. It's been replaced for years by the same group's "Little Boy Sweet."
Are you sure it was really included in that film? Wikipedia info about "I'm So Excited" makes no mention of it ever being used in Vacation, though it's been in many other films so the rights holders seem willing to allow its use in films. Also the remixed pop version everyone knows today wasn't released until 1984 when it was a Top 10 hit, a year after the film was released.

Also, "Little Boy Sweet" is actually a June Pointer solo track. Her page in Wikipedia says it was recorded for Vacation:

June also performed the song "Little Boy Sweet" for the 1983 film National Lampoon's Vacation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are you sure it was really included in that film? Wikipedia info about "I'm So Excited" makes no mention of it ever being used in Vacation, though it's been in many other films so the rights holders seem willing to allow its use in films.

Also, "Little Boy Sweet" is actually a June Pointer solo track. Her page in Wikipedia says it was recorded for Vacation:

I have seen this movie since it premiered on cable -- and unless the song was changed at that point -- it has always been LITTLE BOY SWEET.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are these notes at IMDb, so it sounds like it was there at one point but it sounds like an early choice to remove it (for some reason):

In the original theatrical release, and very early edited for television prints, the song "I'm so Excited" was present when Clark, while driving, sees Christie Brinkley in the red Ferrari. When Clark was not driving, the song "Little Boy Sweet" played. All prints presently only play "Little Boy Sweet" in the above instances.

On every home media release of the film, "I'm So Excited" by The Pointer Sisters has been taken out from the scenes where The Girl In The Ferrari is driving alongside Clark. Instead, "Little Boy Sweet" (which was originally in one scene of the film) replaces "I'm So Excited". On the 2010 Blu-ray release, "I'm So Excited" by The Pointer Sisters can still be heard on the French, German and Spanish language alternate audio tracks.

I wonder if it had to do with the impending remix/re-release of the track as a single? In the film, it would have been the older version from 1982 that didn't chart very well. Maybe the Pointer Sisters didn't want the older version referenced in a hit movie if they were trying to make a hit of the remixed version in 1984?

Jeff F.

Second Unit
To make sure I wasn't misremembering that "I'm So Excited" was originally in the film, I played the end credits on my iTunes digital copy, and even though the song isn't currently in the movie, it's still, for some strange reason, listed.

Vacation.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
even though the song isn't currently in the movie, it's still, for some strange reason, listed.

It's harder to edit that text out of the credits than it is to replace a song on the soundtrack.

The opening credits of the so-call Director's Cut of Exorcist III still list Jason Miller and Nicol Williamson in the cast, even though both were entirely cut out of that version of the movie.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Received my review copy yesterday, and this is a 4K Blu-ray and digital release, no Blu-ray is included. All special features from previous editions have been dropped, other than the feature-length commentary track.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Received my review copy yesterday, and this is a 4K Blu-ray and digital release, no Blu-ray is included. All special features from previous editions have been dropped, other than the feature-length commentary track.
How does the video look?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Review forthcoming. Just wanted to give those a heads up about the lack of a Blu-ray and special features who may want to cancel their pre-order.

Though one assumes that people who already own the 30th BD wouldn't care so much that the 4K lacks that disc.

It's indeed a weird choice, though. WB usually includes BDs with 4Ks anyway, so it's perplexing they dropped the BD when it's necessary to offer all the available bonus features.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Review forthcoming. Just wanted to give those a heads up about the lack of a Blu-ray and special features who may want to cancel their pre-order.

Though one assumes that people who already own the 30th BD wouldn't care so much that the 4K lacks that disc.

It's indeed a weird choice, though. WB usually includes BDs with 4Ks anyway, so it's perplexing they dropped the BD when it's necessary to offer all the available bonus features.

WB loves to trick us with these re-releases with brand new cover art.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks