What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (6 Viewers)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This Wednesday, 14th Sept, don't miss our next signing promotion - at www.twilighttimemovies.com - 100 copies of CAT BALLOU signed by Elliot Silverstein - offered FREE with the qualifying purchase of a minimum $119.80 - promotion goes "live" at 4 pm EST. Just add at least $119.80 to your cart and the FREE signed Cat Ballou will automatically be added when "live". Please note that just having it in your cart doesn't guarantee you will get one. Only the first 100 customers who complete the checkout process will receive a copy - good luck!

Got this special. Worked like a charm. Thanks for this great promo! Last I heard there were a few copies left?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This Wednesday, 14th Sept, don't miss our next signing promotion - at www.twilighttimemovies.com - 100 copies of CAT BALLOU signed by Elliot Silverstein - offered FREE with the qualifying purchase of a minimum $119.80 - promotion goes "live" at 4 pm EST. Just add at least $119.80 to your cart and the FREE signed Cat Ballou will automatically be added when "live". Please note that just having it in your cart doesn't guarantee you will get one. Only the first 100 customers who complete the checkout process will receive a copy - good luck!

I got one. Ordered 4 Woody's and they put Cat in my cart and it was still there when I checked out.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
It took me a few minutes to get the free promo in my cart but I took one title out and put a different one in and boom there it was. It was all pretty smooth I thought

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This is a crazy idea, I know, but what about a couple of TT boxed sets of early movies from Fox starring Tyrone Power? Power was in a number of "A" pictures for 20th Century Fox in the late 30s, but I think only one of them has been released on blu-ray—Jesse James (1939) from Fox itself. But what about some double features for these lesser-known movies from Hollywood's golden age:

Tyrone Powers vol. 1
Lloyd's of London, 1936 (Power's debut)/Café Metropole, 1937
In Old Chicago, 1937/Alexander's Ragtime Band, 1938

Tyrone Powers vol. 2
Marie Antoinette, 1938/Suez, 1938
Rose of Washington Square 1939/The Rains Came, 1939

I realize this is highly unlikely, and that it isn't TT's normal model.

MPW-105174

Poster%20-%20Cafe%20Metropole_02.jpg

Poster%20-%20In%20Old%20Chicago_02.jpg

Poster_-_Alexander's_Ragtime_Band_01.jpg

Poster%20-%20Suez_01.jpg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Marie Antoinette was an MGM movie, and I doubt Warners would be eager to pair it with a Fox production.

Would LOVE to see some of the other suggestions, however.

Yes, I forgot that Fox reluctantly loaned out their biggest star to MGM for that one.

But Tyrone Power was in so many movies for Fox in the late 30s, that there are still other titles to choose from, including Rose of Washington Square (1939), Second Fiddle (1939), etc. Haven't seen these, or even most of the others, but I do somehow like Tyrone Power in almost everything I've seen him in.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
This is a crazy idea, I know, but what about a couple of TT boxed sets of early movies from Fox starring Tyrone Power? Power was in a number of "A" pictures for 20th Century Fox in the late 30s, but I think only one of them has been released on blu-ray—Jesse James (1939) from Fox itself. But what about some double features for these lesser-known movies from Hollywood's golden age:

Tyrone Powers vol. 1

Tyrone Powers vol. 2

MPW-105174

Poster%20-%20Suez_01.jpg

Fully support your proposal here, Ben.

My twenty-something daughter and I would be in line to pick up this boxset.

Know anything about the status of King of the Khyber Rifles?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell

Tyrone Powers vol. 1

Tyrone Powers vol. 2

MPW-105174

Poster%20-%20Suez_01.jpg
I also would be up for something like this (particularly just for Alexander's Ragtime Band)! Wouldn't mind seeing them try something of this sort for Alice Faye as well.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Fully support your proposal here, Ben.

My twenty-something daughter and I would be in line to pick up this boxset.

Know anything about the status of King of the Khyber Rifles?

It's quite remarkable that your 20-year old daughter likes movies and stars from the golden age!++

King of the Khyber Rifles is a Fox film, and so probably possible for TT

As Keith Colby says, I don't think any of these titles on their own probably have a great shot of selling 3000 copies. That's why I was imagining putting two movies on one blu-ray to make some Tyrone Power double features, but then selling them at the single disc price. Or, maybe even coming up with a small but ambitious boxed set of 2-4 discs at a "value price"? But who knows if that would work. I do know that some of these older movies are well worth watching and even owning.

The Rains Came has been a favorite of mine for decades. I've seen it maybe 4 times—once as a child in the 70s, then as a 20-something in the 80s, once in the 90s, and then just a few years ago—and somehow it still hasn't lost its power—oops! I honestly didn't mean to do that!

Most of the early Power movies were personally supervised by Darryl F. Zanuck, which is prominently noted on a few of the posters. This was something he only did for movies that he thought had not just immediate box office potential, but the chance for lasting appeal. I think most of them have pretty impressive production values. Power and Zanuck together, it can be argued, built up Fox from a small player in 1936, when Lloyds of London was released, to a major studio in every way by 1939.

king-of-the-khyber-rifles-3.jpg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
In the meantime, The Eddy Duchin Story, starring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak, is still available from Twilight Time. This was a new discovery for me several months ago, and is recommended. Keep some kleenex nearby....

image106.jpg

7ffb5e5800e15b349dbef1d75817c229.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
It's quite remarkable that your 20-year old daughter likes movies and stars from the golden age!++

King of the Khyber Rifles is a Fox film, and so probably possible for TT

As Keith Colby says, I don't think any of these titles on their own probably have a great shot of selling 3000 copies. That's why I was imagining that putting two movies on one blu-ray to make some Tyrone Power double features, but then selling them at the single disc price. Or, maybe even coming up with a small but ambitious boxed set of 2-4 discs at a "value price"? But who knows if that would work. I do know that some of these older movies are well worth watching and even owning.

The Rains Came has been a favorite of mine for decades. I've seen it maybe 4 times—once as a child in the 70s, then as a 20-something in the 80s, once in the 90s, and then just a few years ago—and somehow it still hasn't lost its power—oops! I honestly didn't mean to do that!

Most of the early Power movies were personally supervised by Darryl F. Zanuck, which is prominently noted on a few of the posters. This was something he only did for movies that he thought had not just immediate box office potential, but the chance for lasting appeal. I think most of them have pretty impressive production values. Power and Zanuck together, it can be argued, built up Fox from a small player in 1936, when Lloyds of London was released, to a major studio in every way by 1939.

king-of-the-khyber-rifles-3.jpg

Thanks, Ben. If memory serves, your teenaged son was also a fan of quality film, irrespective of era. Perhaps hope for the classics enduring yet!

We watched The Black Rose on DVD last night, including the behind the scenes family reunion involving Tyrone Power's two daughters, son and second wife. His daughters delighted in sharing that their "Daddy" and Darryl Zanuck enjoyed playing pranks on one another.

Power apparently put one over on Zanuck by filming a scene for the rushes of The Mask of Zorro, slashing a DZ instead of a Z on the village noticeboard. The villagers then reacting with horror upon seeing it: "Oh no, Zanuck is coming".

In retaliation, Zanuck turned off the heating for the pool in which Power took his early morning dip!

[Edit: yes, we already have the TT Blu of The Eddy Duchin Story as well as Pony Soldier]

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
RMajidi: Yes, my son and daughter do sometimes like classic movies, and even musicals. But as they've gotten older it's become a tougher sell. Part of it is that we've had a few duds that I told them were classics, and now they understandably question my judgment lol! One of the duds was a Warner Archive movie called Deathtrap. I thought it was brilliant when I saw it in the theater back in 1982, but somehow in early 2016 it just didn't work very well for any of us. In fact, we turned it off before the end—although actually, I skipped to the very end to show them the layers within layers.

What a funny story about Zorro, Power, and Zanuck!!

How was The Black Rose as a movie? Haven't seen it, but the imdb rating of 6.3 seems to indicate it's one of those lesser although probably still watchable movies with Tyrone.

I see you are in Australia. The last few months I've been watching what I think is a wonderful drama from your land—A Place to Call Home. Have you seen it? Really good stuff imho.

Anyway, since I've recently bought almost 20 TT titles, I should see if I can try the next generation—now ages 15 and 20—out on one of them. But I'm not sure which one. Many of them I haven't ever seen, and so it's a bit risky....

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
We watched A Place to Call Home and enjoyed it until it's very unsatisfactory ending.

Has it been canceled? I thought they were going to do another season?! The fourth season apparently premiered just a few days ago. It has a total of 12 episodes. Haven't seen those yet. Is that the ending you are talking about?

Anyway, to get back to TT, I'm considering getting I Want to Live from 1958. I saw it when I was about 12 on TV and was transfixed and maybe a little bit traumatized. Haven't see it since. Directed by Robert Wise. The movie was nominated for six Oscars, and Susan Hayward won for this powerful performance that still haunts me even though I haven't seen it since about 1977.

I_Want_to_Live-299259381-large.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Chase from 1966 also sounds fascinating. To quote Han Solo to Luke: "Where did you dig up that old fossil!?" But actually The Chase is "A BREATHLESS EXPLOSIVE STORY OF TODAY" starring Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, E.G. Marshall, Angie Dickinson, Janice Rule (Helen Foley from the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare as a Child"), Robert Duvall, etc. I think I'd better start saving up. Somehow I've never ever heard of this one before.
chase-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
And since I missed John Frankenheimer's The Train starring Burt Lancaster the first time around, I'm going to have to save up for this one too....

The-Train-Burt-Lancaster-Paul-Scofield.jpg

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
And since I missed John Frankenheimer's The Train starring Burt Lancaster the first time around, I'm going to have to save up for this one too....

The-Train-Burt-Lancaster-Paul-Scofield.jpg
You will. It is a watershed of 60's cinema and TT's release for Region A viewers may be a passing fancy in the wind. I'm unsure how well it shall sell. The first run lasted 40 days. From pre-order till its sorted fate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks