What's new

The tuner on a receiver (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Michelle
Hi there,

The other day for the first time in like 15 years I tried to get one of my fav. radio stations on my SS receiver that has a tuner built into it (I assume they all do, but don't know for sure).

Anyway, all I got was static.

Do I have to have some antenna to make it work or is something wrong with it? It's an old system from '94 & at one point I think it worked.

Thanks

Michelle

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In the audio world the defenition of "receiver" is "a combination of a power amplifier and radio tuner in one enclosure." So yeah, all receivers have tuners. If yours didn't have one, it would be an amp.

And yeah, there's a good chance you need to connect some kind of antenna. Most receivers come with the appropriate antennas for their AM and FM tuners, but if you've lost yours you can buy a substitute cheaply enough. A Google search or a stroll through the nearest electronics department should yield a decent selection of the things. The after-market antennas usually combine the AM and FM connectors in the same unit.

Regards,

Joe

Real Name
Michelle
Oh, yeh I vaguely remember an antenna that didn't seem like an antenna, but that's long gone.

Thanks for the info. Will deal with it when I get my new system.

Michelle

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
AM and FM use different types of antenna. Most receivers have separate antenna terminals for each type. Best for FM reception is anything that works well for VHF tv reception as the entire FM band is sandwiched between a couple of VHF tv channel frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks