What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Tudors (1 Viewer)

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
For those interested, the first two episodes are available now on Movies free on demand from Time Warner and I believe they are also on the Showtime website. Hopefully this series will generate at least part of the interest that Rome has. I am also hoping that individuals with knowledge of the period will continue to give us historical commentary regarding the accuracy. Thanks.
Best
Greg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm excited to watch this on Sunday. i don't know anything on the history, but love that time period.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I don't think that Jonathan Rhys Myers is right physically for the role. My understanding is that Henry VIII was a big man even when he was young (before he got fatter as he aged).

Rhys Myers is too small and skinny. I also don't think he's a very good actor, from any of his movies that I've seen.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I was fairly dissappointed in the first two episodes. Showtime has been on a roll with two very good series (Dexter, which quickly became a favorite of mine; and Weeds, which is at times very funny) but this show really seems to miss the mark.

It's as though it seems to make the telling very "jazzed up" but it comes off as so blah that it creates a whole new definition of "showing up for a check". Most of the actors looked as though they were sleep walking through their roles, and the entire affair in regards to the French was so weirdly played as to come off very petty and strange.

If you're going to go for this kind of telling, HBO's "Rome" nailed it with it's crafty narrative and secondary characters who became the in for the at home audience. This is a story that really fails to involve the audience, or give us a secondary protagonist to follow and have a different perspective on events. As such, Myers comes off as more goofy. This will sound very strange, but reminds me in this role of Sting as Harkonen in Dune. Just weirdly out of place.

The sex scenes in this were not meant as backdrop and societal means as was present in Rome, where it was sensual, interesting and at times provided great plot movement.. instead, it came off as very blah, even the handling of the daughter came across so lacking in any real vibe that it may be one of the most boring sex scenes I've ever noticed on film.

I'm hoping this improves, but I'm not betting on it. C-

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think this was Showtime's answer to Rome but it pales in comparison. Chris has pretty much nailed what ails The Tudors, but I just want to add that the performances are so wanting, so amateurish, so downright awful, that any weaknesses in the script become glaring. Everyone in the cast of Rome deserves BAFTA's in comparison. The CGI is also a noticable eyesore, something that totally takes you out of the story.

And while there is some nudity in the first show (altough it doesn't hold a candle to episode 9 of Rome), it drops off the nothing by the second ep.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I agree. The acting let the show down. First, they kill off Sean Pertwee in the opening scene. Sean Pertwee is a better actor than the rest of them put together. Then they choose JRM as Henry?! WTF? Especially considering that the guy who played Buckingham had 100x the presence, and "looked" how I'd imagine a young Henry to look. Madness.

But I love this period of history so shall keep watching regardless. Rome didn't start particularly brilliantly either IIRC.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit, if you've got OnDemand, watch through to Episode 4. This show take an unintended comic kind of element and in taking itself so seriously has become absolutely HYSTERICAL. I found myself laughing out loud at the sheer 'badness' of Episode 3, and Episode 4 seemed to go out of it's way to top it.

This show is like a large budget gone horribly, terribly wrong. But it is DAMN funny. I mean, it's not intending to be funny, but the way dialog is delivered in this show is a riot.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Anybody still watching this? Just got through episode 6, and I'm wondering why I'm even bothering to watch. This would have been better as a three night miniseries.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Hmm..

Lavish production value, like Rome..

Interesting period in history, like Rome..

But the performances, I agree, are phoned in..

Sam Neil is a noticable exception, as is the woman who plays the Catherine of Aragon..

Myers especially is miscast..

He commands no gravitas whatsoever, and his body type is all wrong..

He's the Timothy Dalton of the Henry VIII's.. :)

I'll keep watching, though..

It has great potential..

You want a trainwreck? Watch the new BBC Robin Hood..

I can't believe I made it through 1 episode!

It's like they deliberately wanted every bad cliche in the book in there..

ErichH

Screenwriter
Interesting - I have the opposite impression of Tudors. I found Rome entertaining at times, but feeling like a stage play or an elaborate soap opera. Shallow on history.

Perhaps I enjoy this story more. Rome has been visited so many times in film. I find the acting better as well. Looks like I'm in the minority here ;)

E

todd stone

Screenwriter
no one talks about this show... Season 2 is fantastic so far, especially the episode of the sir thomas beheading

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I loved it and wished they had had continued. It is called The Tudors and they didnt have to stop here with Henry.

Great last episode and nice to see Natalie Dormer again :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I say bring on Bloody Mary.

Ill miss this show. Waiting for the blurays.

Supposedly Hirst is already working on a new show.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Hirst's new show is The Borgia's featuring Jeremy Irons as Cesere Borgia. Fans of the Tudors might want to check

The Pillars of the Earth on Starz starting in July.

RainC

Auditioning
I have found this series totally enjoyable...and no...not just because of Henry Cavill. Not sure on the historical accuracy...but worth the entertainment points.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Historical accuracy is not the series' strong suit, and it goes farther and farther off course as the seasons progress. That doesn't limit its enjoyment quotient one bit, but don't look here for a history lesson.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
After seeing several movies, I was in for more. I started season 1 and have seen 5 episodes and I love it. Yes it is not top serious but It is amusing enough to keep me not bored and wanting more. The laughs are great too. Episode 4 was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks