What's new

The Ten Commandments Blu-Ray (Two-Disc Special Edition) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (2 Viewers)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Re.: 1923 silent version of "The Ten Commandments"...condition of the print is remarkably good. Looked to me as if some restoration work was applied here as well, though not as extensive as the Technicolor/Vistavision presentation. I think you'll be happy with it!!!

The stereo audio portion with the Wurlitzer organ score was also quite satisfactory!!!

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
Best Buy i work at had 6-10 copies of the 59.99 set. This is Tulsa and not a large city so i'm guessing maybe shipments are late or they went fast.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
That set, beautiful as the contents are, is the least functional of these swag-filled sets to date. I had a terrible time trying to "part" the set before I figured out how it opens, and then trying to pry those discs out of the tablets without breaking something and have no plans to keep them there. Whoever designed this thing should be "torn into so many pieces, even the vultures won't find them."

But the 75-minute documentary is highly entertaining and interesting, with lots of footage showing how the Red Sea was parted and good input from DeMille's granddaughter as well as Katherine Orrison, Charlton Heston, Elmer Bernstein and many others. I'll save the film itself for Easter Weekend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the gift set too. I don't usually make an issue with this kind of packaging. I know it's not meant for everyone and I don't expect production quality. By it's very nature, it is supposed to be unique and more of a one-off, then the thousands of conventional cases. With that said, I had a bad feeling when I got my set at Best Buy. It was the only one there. I could hear something loose inside. I was hoping it was the books. I didn't have any trouble figuring out how the box parted. I thought the tablets were pretty nicely made. However, the clear spindle inside had detached and the blu ray of the first disc was loose. I reattached it with the self adhesive that was still there. The blu ray looked okay and I played it through the first scene when the first borns were killed. But the standard DVD on the other side of the tablet also detached from the spindle. I saw a few nicks. So I played that disc, and skipped chapters and sampled most of it. So far so good. I hope this disc is okay. Had the audio commentary playing. I never heard it before and it does sound very informative! I'll play the blu ray on Easter weekend, but what I saw, it was impressive! And compared to the DVD in the set, massive difference! The book inside is pretty nice, I haven't looked through all of it. I appreciate the inclusion of the costume designs and storyboards. The only disappointment for me are the nicks on the DVD. I hope they don't affect playback. Maybe some DVD polish will reduce them? Oh yeah, one other thing, the little magnets that hold the tablet halves together detached as well from the bosses they were inserted into. I'll glue those back in later. And not that it matters for any collectable measure, but what is the number count on sets you guys are getting? I was surprised mine was in the 18,600's. I thought it might be higher.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
It took me about 7 years from the time I bought the first DVD release until I finally sat down to watch it. Previously I had owned the premium, $60 red boxed LD release that I had watched it all of one time. The DVD kicked around my shelves for so long unopened, that I felt a bit ashamed for foolishly spending money on it.

When I finally did get around to watching it though, I had an absolute blast! This was an Easter staple in my house as a kid too, and seeing it again, it was clear why. And also clear why I would unconsciously feel the need to own it, even if I never ended up watching it.

This Bd release is probably going to end up being one of the top highlights of the year for me. This is a HUGE catalog title in my collection, and I'm very happy to see it done as well it has been. This format has been unbelievably frustrating so often in terms of catalog titles for me- from DNR issues to revisionist color grading. Fortunately this is one release that just looks grand.

I popped in the DVD to compare and I was startled to see how big a difference there was. Odd that the PQ didn't impinge on my enjoyment of the movie a few years back- but it honestly didn't. The dearth of Paramount catalog on this format is annoying- but at least one of my all time favorites of theirs is finally here and looks to be a rousing success.

As far as the sets go- this is one title I would have absolutely not minded being forced to buy the 'Big Box o' Crap' edition. In fact, I almost pulled the trigger on it even though the film only set was going to be widely available. The only thing that motivated me to go with the basic release was seeing how the discs were housed. If I ever have to buy a box of crap edition, I want to at least be able to have an easy way to keep the film discs on my regular shelves for easy access. Gone With The Wind had the discs in a separate digipack and that's what I keep out and accessible. This set looked like a pain in the neck in that respect. It's an aesthetically pleasing package, but in this case I much prefer the functionality of the basic case. Especially when you have to swap discs in mid film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

It took me about 7 years from the time I bought the first DVD release until I finally sat down to watch it. Previously I had owned the premium, $60 red boxed LD release that I had watched it all of one time. The DVD kicked around my shelves for so long unopened, that I felt a bit ashamed for foolishly spending money on it.

When I finally did get around to watching it though, I had an absolute blast! This was an Easter staple in my house as a kid too, and seeing it again, it was clear why. And also clear why I would unconsciously feel the need to own it, even if I never ended up watching it.

This Bd release is probably going to end up being one of the top highlights of the year for me. This is a HUGE catalog title in my collection, and I'm very happy to see it done as well it has been. This format has been unbelievably frustrating so often in terms of catalog titles for me- from DNR issues to revisionist color grading. Fortunately this is one release that just looks grand.

I popped in the DVD to compare and I was startled to see how big a difference there was. Odd that the PQ didn't impinge on my enjoyment of the movie a few years back- but it honestly didn't. The dearth of Paramount catalog on this format is annoying- but at least one of my all time favorites of theirs is finally here and looks to be a rousing success.

As far as the sets go- this is one title I would have absolutely not minded being forced to buy the 'Big Box o' Crap' edition. In fact, I almost pulled the trigger on it even though the film only set was going to be widely available. The only thing that motivated me to go with the basic release was seeing how the discs were housed. If I ever have to buy a box of crap edition, I want to at least be able to have an easy way to keep the film discs on my regular shelves for easy access. Gone With The Wind had the discs in a separate digipack and that's what I keep out and accessible. This set looked like a pain in the neck in that respect. It's an aesthetically pleasing package, but in this case I much prefer the functionality of the basic case. Especially when you have to swap discs in mid film.

I to have owned VHS, the Red Laser Box, and DVD of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. I bought the Blu-ray and I am convinced that this will be the last time I will need to buy this film. I do not know how it can be be handled or transferred any better. I know that future releases will have more documentaries and background, but that is not why I buy a movie so I can pass on those. It is a funny feeling knowing that something is so near perfect that this is the final buy. No need to get the digital download when that becomes the norm for it will be this transfer.

I too would like to see Paramount start dipping in the vaults for more Blu-ray releases and with the John Wayne's coming that is a encouraging. Now bring on SAMSON AND DELILA.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I exchanged my big box 10 Commandments set because of the detached and scratched DVD of Part One of the film. This exchanged set was much better, the magnets that hold the tablet halves together stayed in their boses and worked compared to the first set i got. All but the blu ray of Part 2 were attached. The detached blu ray looks okay so far. But what I could not believe is one of the SD DVD's of 10 Commandments has a few little scratches! And it wasn't detached or floating around. I don't want to exchange this set again. I'm wondering if I can contact Paramount directly ask for a new disc. This disc is only available with this set so it's unfortunate one can't just buy it separately. Unless the master used to create the SD DVD is from the older release? I haven't checked the other DVD's in the set yet. I was pretty surprised by this and disappointed. I have so many discs from Paramount and never have i gotten discs that are scratched. I haven't tried the scratched disc yet, maybe it's okay? Perhaps the player can read past scratch.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
So, another innovative packaging fiasco, huh? Mine's on its way from Amazon. If there's anything wrong with it, back it goes for a refund, not an exchange -- and I'll pay the price necessary to buy it in a store where I can immediately examine the contents and exchange until I get it right. Sheesh.

From what everyone's describing, this design intends for the discs to be stored permanently inside the tablets. I had "assumed" (yes, I know) they'd be in standard disc cases within the tablets, so you could remove that to keep them readily accessible on the shelf if you so desire. Well, I needed to order some empty cases anyway...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
From what I can tell, I'm not convinced the packaging caused the scratches in this box. The scratched disc was still on the spindle. What I'm guessing happened here is that these special sets were assembled by hand. And someone might have scratched it while assembling it. It could explain why some discs were not fully seated into the spindles. At any rate, I don't usually go for these special packages, I just wanted the contents of the six discs. I just hope I can get a replacement if the disc won't play right.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

So, another innovative packaging fiasco, huh? Mine's on its way from Amazon. If there's anything wrong with it, back it goes for a refund, not an exchange -- and I'll pay the price necessary to buy it in a store where I can immediately examine the contents and exchange until I get it right. Sheesh.

From what everyone's describing, this design intends for the discs to be stored permanently inside the tablets. I had "assumed" (yes, I know) they'd be in standard disc cases within the tablets, so you could remove that to keep them readily accessible on the shelf if you so desire. Well, I needed to order some empty cases anyway...

I got mine from Amazon and it is just fine, with no problems. I am though thinking about putting the Blu-ray discs in the the DVD packaging from the last release, just because the spindles that the discs are on seem a little flimsy and the cardboard parting of the Red Sea will not last long. The extra junk in the box set is great and it took several hours to go over all of it.

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
I received my gift set today - Number 18,841. I was among those who disliked the design when I first saw images of it on this and other websites but now that I've actually received it I think it looks impressive, especially the contents which I think are great. However, I do agree that the storage of the discs themselves is an issue, like other posters here I found some of my discs to be floating loose inside the 'stone tablets'.

I was surprised how quickly it arrived from Amazon.com as I live in the UK. I'm really looking forward to watching this on my projection screen. Once it starts I can breath a sigh of relief as I live in Region B and although I've been told it should play here I'll beleive it when I finally see it.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Did it play for you in the UK, Ken? If so, I might send a copy home to my parents there...
kenNew said:
I received my gift set today - Number 18,841. I was among those who disliked the design when I first saw images of it on this and other websites but now that I've actually received it I think it looks impressive, especially the contents which I think are great. However, I do agree that the storage of the discs themselves is an issue, like other posters here I found some of my discs to be floating loose inside the 'stone tablets'.

I was surprised how quickly it arrived from Amazon.com as I live in the UK. I'm really looking forward to watching this on my projection screen. Once it starts I can breath a sigh of relief as I live in Region B and although I've been told it should play here I'll beleive it when I finally see it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine was delivered from Amazon today, and boy was I walking on eggs as I took my time unpacking and examining it, piece by piece, saving tablets and discs for last. It must have taken me ten minutes from slitting the tape on the corrugated shipping box to gingerly lifting out the tablets and laying them on my desk, contemplating how to proceed from there. Unfortunately, by then it was obvious that there was at least one floater inside.

The floater, one of the Blu-ray discs, had an area or two of light scuffing/scratching, and three or four of the other discs had marks on them to varying degrees. I think only one BD and one DVD looked as pristine as new discs normally do. Additionally, one of the hinges that holds the two inner disc flaps in the tablet had a broken end, so it's not secure. The tiny broken off piece was there, so I might try super-gluing it back onto the hinge, though being plastic, matching the two pieces up may or may not be possible.

I carefully cleaned all six discs and placed them in spare cases. Interestingly, the markings on one of them was something that cleaned off, making me wonder what conditions these are being packed in. And what about the scuff marks and/or scratches on the discs that had remained secure on their spindles? Something out of the ordinary is happening in the assembly of these packages.

Next, I took a deep breath and popped in the first Blu-ray. And oh my god...the image was so stunning I almost forgot my mission, which was to test the disc! Finally got into a groove and went through each chapter stop on all three BDs, digressing a bit here and there to sit and be totally awed. Obviously it will take a straight through viewing to assure myself that there are no playing problems. And truthfully, I'm pretty sure that the marks on my discs are only on the protective layer and are very unlikely to cause any problems. There is still no excuse for any of this defacing, however light and however benign, to be there.

The tablets are lovely, and though I'll try to repair that tiny broken piece just to know it's together right, there's no way I can allow myself to keep the discs in there ... ever. Well, maybe the DVDs, since it's unlikely I'll ever have occasion to use them, and providing I convince myself that reducing the load to three discs, they won't have trouble staying secured. But for total peace of mind they should be tested, too; otherwise, why keep them? What an ordeal.

I do like the package design overall, and I actually like the use of magnets to keep things closed nicely. If only the tablets had been designed to hold a regular keepcase which could be removed for frequent use or for shelving with one's other discs.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
The floater, one of the Blu-ray discs, had an area or two of light scuffing/scratching, and three or four of the other discs had marks on them to varying degrees. I think only one BD and one DVD looked as pristine as new discs normally do. Additionally, one of the hinges that holds the two inner disc flaps in the tablet had a broken end, so it's not secure. The tiny broken off piece was there, so I might try super-gluing it back onto the hinge, though being plastic, matching the two pieces up may or may not be possible.

Similar experience here: Both Blu-ray discs were floaters, minor scratches on various of the DVDs and one of the plastic hinges was broken off. Although, unlike in your case, the broken off part wasn't in the tablet anymore so already it must have broken off during the packaging process. I guess proper packaging would have cost another $20? ;)

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Neil, I still haven't played the main feature but I've seen the menus on the Blu-ray discs and played the long, 1956 trailer without any problems and the PQ and sound were fine. So yes, I think we're on to a winner for the UK.

Another encouraging sign is that Amazon seem to have stocked up a large UK consignment. As mentioned above, it arrived at my house on 1 April! Although the box was labelled Amazon.com (not 'UK') the sender's address was Hertfordshire. So I'm guessing that Amazon imported some stock of this set to their UK base, ready for quick despatch. Well done to them, the system seems to work well - so do the discs themselves.

If you order this for your parents I hope they receive it as quickly as I did. Good luck.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI, I emailed Paramount on Friday and within a few hours, I got a reply. Just said they are concerned about damaged discs. They would look into the problem and try to resolve it. Then below was a form to fill out with name, address, discs affected and copy of receipt and UPC code.

I wasn't going to keep posting about scratched discs, but as was pointed out above, the SD DVD's included all seem to have been scratched or has some degree of scratching in the 3 sets I exchanged. The Blu Rays all looked okay as far as I can tell. So it seems the DVD's are either used discs, or are not as well cared for somewhere in the manufacturing process, or something!

If anyone cares, I'll be responding back to Paramount today and see what happens. I can report back any news. But everyone here really cares more about he Blu Rays, and I know it's the priority. Since we paid extra for the gift set I'm rather bothered that the DVD's are not as in good shape and they should look new!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by kenNew

Another encouraging sign is that Amazon seem to have stocked up a large UK consignment. As mentioned above, it arrived at my house on 1 April! Although the box was labelled Amazon.com (not 'UK') the sender's address was Hertfordshire. So I'm guessing that Amazon imported some stock of this set to their UK base, ready for quick despatch. Well done to them, the system seems to work well - so do the discs themselves.

I'm sure Amazon.com don't pack U.S. products in Europe. I think you'll find that they send all European orders, after packing, over in bulk to one of their European despatch hubs, which obviously saves freight costs - most of my packages from Amazon.com have a return UK or other European address on the box. Packages usually also carry a notice stating that goods are not covered by the European Economic Community free movement of goods - making them liable for VAT, if Customs spot them!

William Miller

Second Unit
[SIZE= 16px]I bought a Sony Betamax in September, 1977 on the first day it hit the stores.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]I have seen thousands and thousands of movies since then on every format of home video.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]The new Ten Commandments is the best I have ever seen.[/SIZE]

(I am so happy with Paramount that I won't even complain about the gift set packaging which is the worst I have ever seen.)

Good and Bad News: I had to return the set because it was damaged. The spindle holding one of the dvds was broken off and the back of the box was damaged near the top. The good news is that my new copy is fine and had no floaters or broken spindles...and the number is lower! My new number is #4531. I got lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks