What's new

The Ten Commandments Blu-Ray (Two-Disc Special Edition) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Bought my set first day at Best Buy, and it was in perfect shape. No loose discs or broken spindles. Feature played fine on both blu-rays, but the 1923 version and making-of documentary BOTH froze up. Sigh. Doesn't apear to be any damage to the disc. I'll try my disc cleaner/repair kit and hope that works. Otherwise, it's back for an exchange.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I saw one numbered around 1850 the other day. Still waiting for my order from BN.COM to come in. If I have a high number I,ll probably trade mine in for the lower one if it's still there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Update on my contact with Paramount Customer Service about scratched DVD's in the 6 disc set. I sent Paramount Customer Service all my info on the box set, a copy of the receipt and other info they needed. They replied quickly and said they will order replacement DVD's. I better make sure the Blu ray discs all play, even though they do not appear to have scratches. And be sure to put the new discs in a real case!

I'll report back in 4 weeks if and when I actually receive the discs. A big thumbs up to Paramount for such quick replies!

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
Quite possible Doug - I was only guessing and you may very well be right. However, Amazon did charge me a fee over and above the basic cost of the gift set so I could use their 'Amazon Global Program'. According to their shipping policy, this Program means (to quote from the Amazon.com website) that, with my authorization "such funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on behalf of you (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country".

And that seems to be what happened. I personnally haven't paid any money direct to the UK Customs but it seems Amazon has, on my behalf.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Fantastic and detailed review, Neil. I do love big epic films, and this is one of the very best. To see it in high def will be really something, I'm sure. My gift set is on its way. :)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Well, I received my boxed set April 1st and while the set itself is very impressive, the tablet is just not practical (like most posters have already said) I'm not usually one to complain about how discs are stored but I was terrified that I was going to break a disc trying to get it out of it's hub. I also had one floater but it appears to be okay. I like the books, but have no interest in the other material. I can't wait to someday soon watch this on a big screen tv. For now I only have a blu ray laptop (hope to get a big screen tv soon) and I'm happy with that. I have to admit that this movie is what got me into the blu ray format. Oh, by the way, my box set number is 8. Just kidding, it's 4,425.

rainzhang

Auditioning
Real Name
rainzhang
COACH BELT BAGS

You can double your mens belts wardrobe by mentor belt bags figuring out using belts for styling the outfit. that is granted that you just can founded on the individual gown in numerous types utilizing these. huge range of females belts is readily available inside the industry providing numerous colors, sizes, resources and styles. leather-based belts generally give some superb gucci belts for guys level of quality and amazing design toward women. When some lengthy baggy shirt in men’s design is getting put on by you then using belt could allow it to be glance like some lady dress. coach online design will very likely be totally different. you may maybe be granted some vintage design from the broad belt and if some outfit is outdated then you definitely could allow it to be alive through leather-based belts.

For those people of you looking hermes belts for guys for just about any method to acquire one, there are objects you can do. mentor handbags are maybe one of the most sought subsequent of all customized handbags, on account of the level of quality and style. They are developed with an eyesight for detail, in add-on to the workmanship experienced brought it to getting extremely in demand. Any company that is in a location to provide a lifetime ensure should provide an really best level of quality product. It is not just the hype eco-friendly leather-based belts. mentor handbags are in need many thanks this significant quality. Flip although any tabloid or rag, and you also will see the well-known handbags in all the spreads.

When you start to research for the affordable mentor handbag, and strike the internet, you will undoubtedly be strike with many web-sites providing unbelievable pricing. purchaser beware! All web-sites are not developed equal. many on the internet web-sites providing low cost womens belt buckle Coach outlet are providing fake bags. If a price tag on the mentor bag is as well low, then do not be fooled mentor belt bags into pondering you are finding some sort of awesome deal. If it is as well good to acquire true, it most very likely is.

If you purchase online, purchase from the respected vendor that you just really feel relaxing buying from. after you purchase from the seller, a area to look at is from auctions. The induce for that is most auction web-sites like eBay, will provide vendor feedback. after you stick get dark belt club penguin toward sellers with significant ratings, and good comments, then you definitely are most very likely in good company. be optimistic you also confirm the stats offered for the item, be optimistic the image you are looking at will very likely be the real bag, and make contact with the vendor to be optimistic crystal studded belts they are stating how the bag you are looking at is authentic.Coach is among the selected American leather-based products company also it develops handbags for guys in add-on to women. They produce briefcases, wallets in add-on to luggage and all the accessories. Some belonging toward add-ons are belt, scarves, bible belt geography sunglasses, important chain in add-on to umbrellas. in addition they manufacture shoes in add-on to the watches. This company was founded in Manhattan, ny inside the yr 1941. Their handbags are certainly one of the most selected inside the world. Some belonging toward handbags like mentor holiday handbags, mentor Bleecker handbags, Coach bags’s handbags, mentor amusing belt buckles selling vintage Hampton’s handbags, mentor soho handbags, mentor carly mentor belt bags handbags and several more. All of them are certainly very selected and undoubtedly, they all are very superb.
It is written by zhanggobuybagsonline 0904
Tags:
Coach outlet
Coach bags
Coach Handbags
coach online

Just finished watching the entire feature. I am still stunned. This is the best looking 55 year-old film I have ever seen on a home media format! I can't say thank you enough to Ron Smith and his team. The love they had for this film is evident from the opening notes of the Overture to the final triumphant sounds of the Exit Music. Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Absolute Perfection in every sense! Blows every other edition out of the Red Sea!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
An update: I few posts ago, I reported that my 6 disc box set had scratched discs of the SD-DVD's, after 3 tries at exchanges. On the last set I got, one blu-ray disc was dislodged and floating. But "looks" okay. I asked Paramount to replace the discs and they arrived today.

Just in time for tonight's ABC broadcast of the Ten Commandments. I, of course will be watching the blu ray discs. But it's nice to see that Paramount came through! Though the discs don't look perfect, Disc 1 still has a scratch! But it looks like it's a scuff, but I can't rub it off. Disc 2 is cloudy in appearance. And Disc 3 is okay. I get the feeling the DVD discs just were not treated very well, since this is is really a blu ray release. But still, I am surprised every set I exchanged, the DVD discs had scratches.

However, if Paramount is reading this thread, I do really appreciate the replacement discs! I look forward to finally sitting down and watching the blu ray discs all the way through.

Now if I have to find a blu ray case that holds six discs.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Tonight I'm watching this in French! If you've never tried it, give it a go sometime, it's a hoot to hear Anne Baxter say in a sexy French voice "Moïse! Moise!"

And I agree with everyone else--it looks just amazing. A++. I'm seeing details in the sets, the clothes, the actors' faces, everything, that I hadn't seen before.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I bought the 2-disc one (although i didnt care much for the giant pack i still feel im missing out on that 75-min.documentary...)

Everytime i watch it,i especially look at the crisp details of Yul Brynner's exquisite costumes.

Simply terrific.And much like the monkeys in OZ,i'm still creeped out by that fog rolling around in the streets coming to take all the first born.

Favorite shot ? Right after the sea has overtaken the coming egyptians,the shot of the sea splashing all the extras surrounding and clinging to Moses.Its kind of overwhelming.

But hats off to Katherine Orrison for that amazing commentary which doesnt have a scholarly feel at all.Her tone,her voice is simply delightful and very fun to listen to

considering the length of this epic movie.

One thing that makes me giggle is every time Moses tells of a coming plague to the pharaoh,he says it and all poker-faced walks out of the frame

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

On a side note, although I wouldn't always agree with the political views of Cecil B. DeMille, I think his main point in his introduction and in the film is pretty much 100% true. The story of Exodus is, in part, one of people rebelling against oppression together and seeking liberty, and it has been an inspiration throughout human history. I read a wonderful book in college that I strongly recommend, called Exodus and Revolution by the great political writer Michael Walzer. It explores the intersections between theology, political theory, and philosophy--and it's considered a classic. As these kind of books go, it's a breezy page turner (and less than 200 of those). DeMille might have enjoyed it since it validates in a sophisticated way some of what he was saying in this film!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

The ABC version looks good too but it is MUCH less colorful than the blu-ray.

Interesting. I wonder why. You'd think they'd use the same master.

I'm so glad I bought this. There's no way any broadcast is going to have the picture and sound quality of this beautiful blu-ray set.

Maybe it is my signal. I mean it is the same restored print. Maybe it is my settings. But the blu-ray looks more detailed and colorful to me.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Maybe it is my signal. I mean it is the same restored print. Maybe it is my settings. But the blu-ray looks more detailed and colorful to me.

Well I don't know how many megabytes of movie per second the blu-ray gives you, but my guess is that the broadcast--even in HD--is maybe only 1/3 of that. Just a guess....

For the highest quality at home blu-ray is still the only way to go.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
The SD broadcast I saw last night was only 6.3 GB for the entire film. So that's what, 4 Mbps? It still looked very good, even though it was very smoothed over because of the low bitrate.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Thanks for the review. I watched this yesterday, one of the best looking Blu-rays I've ever seen, kudos to the restoration team.

How the West Was Won and now The Ten Commandments are my two favourite blu-rays of classic movies. Stunning is the word.

Hopefully the best epic of them all - Ben-Hur - gets the same kind of attention.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by ShowsOn

The SD broadcast I saw last night was only 6.3 GB for the entire film. So that's what, 4 Mbps? It still looked very good, even though it was very smoothed over because of the low bitrate.

I thought it was broadcast in HD?

In any case, compare 6.3 GB to something like 70+ that you get with the blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks