What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
4x11 - "Observer Effect"
This was a more effective stand alone episode. The story was interesting and compelling, even though the aliens' mechanism of observation -- through body snatching -- was deeply creepy. When "Malcolm" and "Travis" were talking in the cold open, my first unsettling thought was that a couple of the wisps from "The Crossing" had stuck around, and Malcolm and Travis had been possessed this whole time.

But once we got into the meat of the story, I appreciated that it was basically telling a Prime Directive story, only humanity is the less advanced species that is at the center of the moral conundrum. It's a unique sort of bottle episodes, with no locations outside of the standing sets and no guest stars, but still two very important new characters.

It's an episode where Enterprise succeeds not by outthinking or outinnovating, but through sheer decency of intention and action. They were spared because they convinced their observers that they were worth sparing.

4x12 - "Babel One"
This episode was beautifully setup, providing a plausible reason for both opposing parties to be on board Enterprise at the same time. Enterprise had to be hosting the Tellarites, because there isn't the same history or relationship there. By rescuing Shran and the survivors for his vessel, Archer has at his disposal Andorians he trusts and who trust him. As the inexplicable events start to pile up, there is an undercurrent of goodwill that keeps things from escalating too far.

And the Romulan plot, using deception and subterfuge to keep the Tellarites and the Andorians at each other's throats to keep their corner of the Alpha Quadrant in disarray, was appropriately devious. With the Earth-Romulan War only two years away at this point, it makes sense to start weaving them in more. At the same time, they're hamstrung by the fact that the Federation doesn't officially come face to face with the Romulans until "Balance of Terror" over a century later. The TOS writers of the time clearly thought it would take longer for live video conferencing to be practically achieved. By the time this Enterprise was made, the theoretical was possible, even if it wasn't commonplace. And now, post-COVID, it's regular part of many of our lives on a daily or near daily basis.

This episode solves that by going more advanced, rather than less advanced. In 2005, when this episode aired, drone war was just starting to become a part of the national discussion. Given that we were fighting wars remotely from the other side of the planet, it would have been logical to scale up the same concept to interstellar travel. If the ships don't have crew, they don't need life support and there would be nobody for the opposing ships to see. I thought it was a clever innovation, but one that will require an explanation for why the technology was abandoned by "Balance of Terror". I liked that Romulus looked just like it did in Star Trek: Nemesis, too.

My one criticism is that Shran's actions in this episode only happened because he was kept out of the loop. I'm not sure I believe, given the stakes and given the situation, that Archer wouldn't have immediately looped in Shran and the Tellarite ambassador. It would seem that the only reason he didn't was so that they could have guns pointed at each other.

4x13 - "United"
This episode really laid the groundwork for the Federation, with the four founding members teaming up for the first time in pursuit of a common purpose.

Jeffrey Combs really sold the hell out of Shran's devotion for Talis, despite it coming out of the blue in the prior episode. I get why they did it, to make pulling off the alliance as hard as possible. But I liked Talis and I'm sad she's gone. I'm fascinated by the Andorians; these episodes implied that Andorian males and females are closer to physical equals than other species, which explains why their society seems to be neither patriarchal nor matriarchal.

I'm not sure I bought Archer getting the better of Shran in combat; as was reiterated in this episode, Shran has been trained as a warrior since he was a young child. He is a military officer in charge of a military vessel. Archer is a test pilot in charge of an exploratory vessel. He might not have been planning to kill Shran, but Shran was planning on killing him.

The reveal that the drone pilot was an Aenar helps explain why the drone technology is not more widespread in later Romulan appearances; if the piloting technology requires the Aenar's telepathic sight and precognition, its rollout would be limited by its supply of Aenar to serve as pilots.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I’ve been enjoying your observations of the various Star Trek series as you do a re-view of them. I had forgotten about this thread.

Regarding Observer Effect, I thought this was quite a good episode too. The main thing that I always think about is that these are Organians who are observing the Enterprise crew. So given their experience with Humans, i can‘t help but think that Ayelborne and Claremore or even Trefayne would have been aware of the humanity but didn’t say anything to Kirk and Spock while they were visiting Organia. And they know of Klingons too.

It is a nice nod to Errand of Mercy and I think Arena too in that humans prove to more advanced aliens that humans are a worthy being and worth giving a second chance.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Regarding Observer Effect, I thought this was quite a good episode too. The main thing that I always think about is that these are Organians who are observing the Enterprise crew. So given their experience with Humans, i can‘t help but think that Ayelborne and Claremore or even Trefayne would have been aware of the humanity but didn’t say anything to Kirk and Spock while they were visiting Organia. And they know of Klingons too.

In TOS the Organians probably didn't want to reveal to the Humans and Klingons that they were non-corporeal. They didn't reveal that until they had to at the very end.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, you’re right. I suppose it’s possible the way the episode was written and edited, the Organians might have commented on their other experiences with humans while Ayelborne and Claremore discusses how bad it was to interfere with the conflict between the Klingon Empire and the Starfleet fleet.

I might have to re-watch the episode!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
4x14 - "The Aenar"
Given the important role an Aenar, Hemmer, played in the first season of "Strange New Worlds", it was fascinating to see their introduction here. I think this is the most we've ever seen of the civilian side of Andorian civilizations, too. The fact that Andoria is an icy moon orbiting a gas giant explains why the Andorians and Aenar are more alien than most of the other humanoid species; even though they probably had the same genetic seeds as the other humanoid species, they evolved in very different, far more hostile environment from most other humanoid species.

I did have to laugh at the artificial lighting in the Aenar city; if they're all blind, what use would they have for articial lighting? It would seem to be an unnecessary waste of resources.

I continue to love the dynamic between Archer and Shran, who are very different people but aligned in the broad strokes of their respective agendas and sharing a great deal of mutual personal respect at this point.

Speaking of Shran: It sure didn't take him long to move on from Talis, did it?

I appreciated the ending, too; the wider conflict with the Romulans was averted (for a little while), and while Jhamel couldn't save her brother, she could at least be there for him when he died, and ensure that he died for the right reasons. I really liked Alexandra Lydon's performance as Jhamel; she was willful but not aggressive, youthful but mature in demeanor.

Trip leaving for the Columbia, due to his fraught personal relationship with T'Pol, is definitely a shake up. How long will the transfer last?

4x15 - "Affliction"
At the end of the Augments arc, when the Bird of Prey got destroyed in orbit around the Klingon colony, I remember thinking it was a missed opportunity: The Klingons could get into a lot of trouble with the Augment genetic material. Nice to see that dangling thread picked up here. And a genius way to explain why the TOS Klingons don't look like the Klingons in anything else from Trek.

I always enjoy seeing non-warrior Klingons, and the geneticist here was no exception. They get to play such different notes than the Klingon warriors do.

I'm glad they didn't just hand-wave away the cliffhanger with Trip transferring to the Columbia. I like that the new chief engineer, not being battle hardened by three years in space, is proving to be a liability for Enterprise. Trip got the first chief engineer gig because he was the best, but he also benefited from two seasons of peaceful exploration before he had to contend with crisis after crisis.

Is Seth MacFarlane playing the same character he played in "The Forgotten"? His casting is very distracting in both cases, even though he's not doing anything obnoxious to stand out.

Not sure how I feel about Reed being Section 31, which apparently derives its name from Section 31 of the United Earth Starfleet Charter and not the Federation Starfleet Charter. Given how conspicuously mysterious much of Reed's past been between early childhood and his commission aboard Enterprise, it makes sense that he would have been involved in covert ops. But I'm still not sure I buy him being loyal to Section 31 over Archer, given what he's experienced over the course of this series.

Exciting to see the ship crack Warp 5.2, a new record. As much as I enjoy the exploration stories from the first two seasons, given the state of the Alpha Quadrant, it makes sense that Starfleet would need its fastest ship available as a strategic resource for matters of global security, especially now that Earth is no longer a Vulcan protectorate.

4x16 - "Divergence"
Nice wrap up to the story arc. Reed chooses his allegiances, and the Klingons have to live with the solution Phlox has devised for them, which denies them the Augments' enhancements but leaves them with some human DNA in the mix, affecting both appearance and the part of the brain the governs emotions. It explains why the TOS Klingons not only looked more human, but also act less Klingon in certain ways.

It makes me wish that "Discovery" had just gone with the TOS style Klingons, rather than inventing its new take on them. Based on Kang, who was afflicted on TOS and unafflicted in the VOY flashback to the TOS movies era, the DNA remnants of the virus were eliminated sometime between 2268 and 2293.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It makes me wish that "Discovery" had just gone with the TOS style Klingons, rather than inventing its new take on them. Based on Kang, who was afflicted on TOS and unafflicted in the VOY flashback to the TOS movies era, the DNA remnants of the virus were eliminated sometime between 2268 and 2293.
Yes, Discovery could’ve distinguished itself by honoring TOS, instead it created an offshoot of Goblin Klingons (for lack of a better word), which were just horrible IMO.

I always thought Gen. Chang in ST VI was one of the last to recover from the virus, as we see his facial ridges are much more subtle compared to other Klingons. I’m sure that’s because they wanted to give Christopher Plummer easier makeup, but it fits.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
4x17 - "Bound"
I don't think I'm a fan of the retcon with Orion women emitting potent pheromones to bend all of the men in their vicinity to their will. It seemed like they wanted to do an old school sexy TOS-style episode, but needed a reason why our characters with early twenty-first century sensibilities would act like men from the sixties.

But it ran counter to what we've seen before, which is that Orion society does enslave and sell its women as property. And if the women are really in control, why all the pretense with male captains and the like? "Lower Decks" did some damage control by clarifying that not all Orion women emitted those potent, mind control pheromones, but it still seemed like too big of a rewrite of the backstory of a major alien civilization in the service of a one-off episode.

I did like the forward momentum on the Trip/T'Pol relationship, and I'm glad they didn't drag out the whole Trip transferring to the Columbia any longer.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed Bound, but you're right that they were trying to have TOS-style visuals in a modern context. Brannon Braga was still exec producing, after all. (He was notorious for overdoing the sexy stuff.) Nevertheless, after decades of the Orions being little more than background in the franchise, we finally get to explore them a little, and Manny Coto and his writers rose to the challenge.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
4x18/4x19 - "In a Mirror, Darkly"
I'm just so sick of the Mirror Universe at this point. To be fair to "Enterprise", it hadn't been quite so overdone when this two-parter aired.

I did enjoy the way this story threaded itself in and out of continuity, starting with an alternate first contact, using mostly the footage from Star Trek: First Contact, with a few key substitutions. It was also novel to make an episode that was a prequel to "Mirror, Mirror" but a sequel to "The Tholian Web". We finally get to learn what happened to the NCC-1764 USS Defiant. I appreciated that, unlike the "Discovery"/SNW sets that were "inspired by" the TOS sets and design, this episode went to great effort to recreate the TOS-era sets precisely.

I also appreciated that it didn't violate Kirk's incursion being the first known contact between the Federation and the Terran Empire, the way "Discovery" did. This two-parter doesn't really have anything to do with the events in the Prime continuity. It's just a glimpse into the back story of the mirror universe.

Even though the CG was pretty dicey, the Gorn here looked a lot more like the TOS Gorn than the SNW Gorn did -- although, we haven't seen a fully mature Gorn up close on SNW>

I do think having a 23rd century Federation ship play such a major role in the history of the Mirror Universe, even if its historical records are wiped, is a bit problematic. But then again, nothing in the mirror universe really makes sense if you think about it too long; there is no way to universes with such vastly different histories would continue along such a near parallel path, with parallel technology and doppelgangers on both sides.

So: Conceptually not my favorite, but with a lot of fun fan service packed into it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
^Totally agree. I’m also very sick of the mirror universe. I did appreciate Enterprise’s retro look though, which they nailed perfectly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
4x20 - "Demons"
It makes sense that any first steps at creating cross-species alliances would be fraught with dissension from isolationists, especially given the recent attack on Earth by the Xindi, so I'm glad the show chose to explore it. And as far as villains go for a story arc, you can do a whole hell of a lot worse than Peter Weller.

Having this story arc follow immediately after the mirror universe two-parter helped underline the stakes of this ideological divide, especially when the Terra Prime logo looks so much like the emblem of the Terran Empire through the looking glass.

I appreciated that the villain's agenda was rational, albeit horrifying, and he had a well thought out plan for executing it. And props to the writers for having the Terra Prime terrorists immediately recognize Trip, arguably one of the most famous people on Earth at that time. Having him be the covert agent was ludicrous from the get-go, and I'm glad there were consequences for that.

I liked how the episode used Minister Samuels, too; for most of the series, Admiral Forrest kept Archer and Enterprise insulated from political considerations. But now that Archer is embracing the destiny that Daniels hinted at, his role is becoming inherently more political, and that means having to deal with politicians.

Johanna Watts was smoking hot as Gannet, but I don't think that subplot quite worked. If her and Mayweather broke up because Mayweather was shipping off with Enterprise, it makes no sense for Mayweather to giving Gannet the cold shoulder for most of the episode. And then the character gets saddled with too much backstory: She's his ex from his long-haul freighter days, but she's also a journalist covering the conference, but no she's actually a Terra Prime spy.

NOTE: I knew that the fourth season was the last, but I don't think I realized until I put Disc 6 of Season 4 into my player that it was a slightly abbreviated season. I was a bit shocked when there were only two episodes left.

4x21 - "Terra Prime"
The fact that this was the penultimate episode of the series made the fate of Trip and T'Pol's genetically engineered hybrid baby genuinely suspenseful. If the show still had three seasons left, there's no way they would saddle two of the leads with parenting an infant. But they might with one episode to go.

The tragic fate of baby Elizabeth felt like a potent metaphor for the Federation itself: It wasn't quite time yet, but once it happens it will change everything. That's true of the Federation, and it's true of another human-Vulcan hybrid: Spock. I thought Connor Trinneer and Jolene Blalock did a great job selling the grief at having lost this child that they didn't get a chance to know.

I liked Sato getting the chance to captain the ship and having to make the really tough call, but it points again to how nonsensical Starfleet ranks are. We know that there's at least one commander still aboard Enterprise (Kelby), and presumably Reed isn't the only lieutenant. I just don't see command being entrusted to an ensign at such a high stakes juncture. But then again, it never made much sense to me that Sato was only an ensign, given the importance of her role to the original exploration mission.

Even more twists and turns with Gannet: She's not actually a Terra Prime spy; she's working in Starfleet Intelligence! If the show had continued, I wouldn't have minded seeing her as a recurring character for covert ops. But I still don't buy her whole dynamic with Mayweather.

It was fun seeing Gary Graham and Eric Pierpoint share the frame in this episode, a little "Alien Nation" reunion, only with Graham playing the alien and Pierpoint playing the human.

While this coalition of planets isn't the Federation, more of a strategic alliance than a federal system of governance, it's interesting that there were so many participants when the Federation itself started with only four member species. If the show had gotten a full seven season run, I would have liked the last three seasons to build in some time jumps and cover the six years between this episode and the Federation's founding in 2161. The Earth-Romulan War would have eaten up most of that time, and would have had the potential to give the Dominion War arc a run for its money.

4x22 - "These Are the Voyages..."
First, what a disrespectful slap in the face to the cast and crew of this series to make their series finale essentially a bonus episode of TNG. Their episode, and the cast doesn't even get to play their characters, just simulated approximations of their characters. And they were delusional if they thought 2005 Jonathan Frakes would be plausible as 1994 Jonathan Frakes. The CG Enterprise-D was also awful; I don't know why they didn't just reuse some of the model shots from "The Pegasus" instead. I did like the use of Chef, the often mentioned but never properly seen character, as Riker's stand-in for the holodeck program.

Maybe because of the holodeck framing device, or maybe because Rick Berman and Brannon Braga wrote it after a season driven by Manny Cato, but it felt like a regression for most of the characters. I didn't buy Trip and T'Pol breaking things off and staying strictly platonic after the death of their daughter. I didn't buy Mayweather and Sato still being ensigns after a decade of exemplary service -- especially since we know from the historical records in USS Defiant's database in the mirror universe two-parter that Sato retires as a lieutenant commander. The crew felt like a family in "Terra Prime"; I didn't get that same sense here.

The indications of the time jump are instead mostly superficial: The jumpsuits have name tags and shoulder straps now, some of the areas of the ship have slightly different set dressing. But I didn't feel that these people had spent another six years in the trenches together since the last episode.

Even worse than the TNG framing device itself: I really resented Trip being killed off to service a revisiting of Riker's dilemma during a one-off story from over a decade earlier. If you're going to kill off a main character in the last episode, it should be in service of that show's story, not another show's story.

And then, to top it all off, the episode ends the simulation before we get to see Archer's speech at the signing of the Federation charter. What a let down.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
4x22 - "These Are the Voyages..."
First, what a disrespectful slap in the face to the cast and crew of this series to make their series finale essentially a bonus episode of TNG. Their episode, and the cast doesn't even get to play their characters, just simulated approximations of their characters. And they were delusional if they thought 2005 Jonathan Frakes would be plausible as 1994 Jonathan Frakes. The CG Enterprise-D was also awful; I don't know why they didn't just reuse some of the model shots from "The Pegasus" instead. I did like the use of Chef, the often mentioned but never properly seen character, as Riker's stand-in for the holodeck program.

Maybe because of the holodeck framing device, or maybe because Rick Berman and Brannon Braga wrote it after a season driven by Manny Cato, but it felt like a regression for most of the characters. I didn't buy Trip and T'Pol breaking things off and staying strictly platonic after the death of their daughter. I didn't buy Mayweather and Sato still being ensigns after a decade of exemplary service -- especially since we know from the historical records in USS Defiant's database in the mirror universe two-parter that Sato retires as a lieutenant commander. The crew felt like a family in "Terra Prime"; I didn't get that same sense here.

The indications of the time jump are instead mostly superficial: The jumpsuits have name tags and shoulder straps now, some of the areas of the ship have slightly different set dressing. But I didn't feel that these people had spent another six years in the trenches together since the last episode.

Even worse than the TNG framing device itself: I really resented Trip being killed off to service a revisiting of Riker's dilemma during a one-off story from over a decade earlier. If you're going to kill off a main character in the last episode, it should be in service of that show's story, not another show's story.

And then, to top it all off, the episode ends the simulation before we get to see Archer's speech at the signing of the Federation charter. What a let down.

Agreed. This was a nasty stinking turd of a finale due to a crap script.

As for your mention of the lack of promotions, this is Berman/Braga stupidity. Its egregious ignorance of how reality works. The famous case is Harry Kim, when he asked why he hadn't been promoted got the mentally defective reply by Berman/Braga of "someone has to be an ensign". Which is ignorant given the size of the crew and especially so when of all starships, Voayager would have seen tons of "battlefield" promotions over the course of their voyage.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I’m the only one that’s not down on the Enterprise finale.

I see the two parter before the final episode as being the proper ending, and the very last episode as being an epilogue for the entire Berman era. When that show was being made, everyone involved knew that it was an ending of sorts - I don’t think anyone could quite say if that was going to be the end of Star Trek, period, or (as it worked out being) just the ending of that era of Star Trek productions. But I thought it was nice.

I don’t love the character death within the episode but since what’s being shown is a simulation of an era with poor record keeping, in my head I always thought that could be taken with a grain of salt - that what we saw was the “official” story if not necessarily the real one - if the show ever came back in any form, I think it would be pretty easy to discard of any eleventh hour plot/character developments that were inconvenient or undesirable.

At that point I never thought we’d see Riker and Troi again so for me, getting one more moment with them outweighed all of the negatives. And as I was saying, the two episodes before the finale wrapped up the season and show for me in a satisfying way so I didn’t feel like there was anything more I needed Enterprise to do that it didn’t get a chance to do.

I used to be very excited about giant finale episodes but as I’ve gotten older and more viewing hours under my belt, I’ve really come to appreciate when serialized shows use the penultimate episode to wrap everything up and letting the actual last episode serve as a quieter, more character driven epilogue.

Twenty years later, though, I’m well aware that I hold a minority viewpoint on this one :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I’ve been revisiting Enterprise as well. I’ve been going through episodes at random and last week and today, I revisited the Vulcan arc of the 4th season; The Forge, Awakening and Kir’Shara. I always liked this arc as it resets and explains Berman and Braga’s dubious attempt to paint the Vulcans the way they were at the start of the series. And there was a lot of good stuff in each of the episodes. My only little quibble is they made Archer the person who straightened the Vulcan’s out. Even though it was really Surak who was controlling Archer’s actions. So that made it make more sense that Surak could come back and set the Vulcan’s straight.

And I like that it was a Romulan plot to subvert the High Command and place V’Lass as the leader. What I always wonder when I watch this set of episodes is why is V’Lass to emotional and angry all the time. He’s sort of out of control. So the way the episode ends, it shows that V’Lass is working with the Romulans for Reunification. But the way he talks to the Romulan and V’Lass’s actions during the episode, I’ve always believed V’Lass is really a Romulan. He was so emotional, that would explain it. But on this viewing, I’m wondering if he’s really a Vulcan who is simply working with the Romulans.

Good arc, i haven;t read Adam’s take on it yet, I’ll look for it. I look forward to the next arc involving the Aenar.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Guys, I’ve been revisiting Enterprise as well. I’ve been going through episodes at random and last week and today, I revisited the Vulcan arc of the 4th season; The Forge, Awakening and Kir’Shara. I always liked this arc as it resets and explains Berman and Braga’s dubious attempt to paint the Vulcans the way they were at the start of the series. And there was a lot of good stuff in each of the episodes. My only little quibble is they made Archer the person who straightened the Vulcan’s out. Even though it was really Surak who was controlling Archer’s actions. So that made it make more sense that Surak could come back and set the Vulcan’s straight.

And I like that it was a Romulan plot to subvert the High Command and place V’Lass as the leader. What I always wonder when I watch this set of episodes is why is V’Lass to emotional and angry all the time. He’s sort of out of control. So the way the episode ends, it shows that V’Lass is working with the Romulans for Reunification. But the way he talks to the Romulan and V’Lass’s actions during the episode, I’ve always believed V’Lass is really a Romulan. He was so emotional, that would explain it. But on this viewing, I’m wondering if he’s really a Vulcan who is simply working with the Romulans.

Good arc, i haven;t read Adam’s take on it yet, I’ll look for it. I look forward to the next arc involving the Aenar.

High level plot detail on the novel "Uncertain Logic"...heavily focused on the Vulcans and the events from this arc of episodes. Your questions/comments in the second paragraph are answered in the novel. Yes, I know it's a novel and not "canon," but it's a good read and delves into the character a whole lot more.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jason! I’ve not been into reading the novels for a very long time! I looked that title up, it came out in 2015! I guess the writer had similar thoughts about the storyline. :). I haven’t read any of the recent novels as I said, but I’ll keep it in mind. And yes, it’s not canon. It can be fun to see how someone else thought what happened.

I also forgot to mention above, I also wondered if the director of that episode or producers just could not dial back Robert Foxworth’s performance. But I figure they must have gotten the performance they wanted so V’Lass would come off as a little “off”.

And another aside, it was pretty cool at that time to see actors like John Rubinstein and Robert Foxworth come back to play different characters, Rubinstein twice on Enterprise and once on Voyager as Evansville.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks