The Simpsons 2/20 "There's Something About Marrying"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Paul Sandhu, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I'm sure you've all heard about tonight's episode featuring a recurring Simpsons' character coming out. I just saw a spoiler and while it didn't suprise me (in fact its pretty obvious) I think you guys should find out yourselves by watching tonight.

2. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

A link saying "I found out here" would be more polite than saying, "I know something you don't know".

That being said, if you want to know before watching (or without watching) go here.

3. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Best episode is a long time. Loved the cigarette in Homer's eye!!

But where the heck was Smithers????? You'd think he would be in this, of all episodes!

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The funniest part of the episode was the ridiculous warning at the beginning of the episode.

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I think they should have done it with someone other than with who they did. Wasn't really that surprising or shocking.

6. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Hysterical show tonight, great stuff.

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I loved Homer's line: "I'd be more likely to run off with a Sausage patty than your sister Patty!"

All in all a great episode.

I was pretty annoyed at the disclaimer at the beginning...[​IMG]

"And do you Julio take Chaz to be your life parter in Massachucetts and Vermont, maybe Canada, stay out of Texas, as long as you both are gay?" -Homer.

8. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

No so much ha ha funny, but definitely harkening back to the more satirical days.

I also hated that disclaimer. But I guess that may be a discussion for another thread.

I'm just glad they didn't really hit the reset button. My only problem is back in the day, they established that Selma could never stay together with someone due to the bond with Patty. They never seem to bring that up again. But... now Selma has been married to Disco Stu (and Disco Stu is Catholic)?

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I loved Bart's line about "that is the end of Homer's marriage service" and Lisa's response... "Why?" is just classic. I love those nods to the shows' "Reset Button."

I got home a couple minutes late, what was the "disclaimer?"

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I missed the disclaimer too...

I thought it was decent, not as funny as a few other ones this season

11. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I saw it on the news on TV. Perhaps I should have worded it a bit better. Sorry for the confusion.

It was a pretty funny episode, did anyone catch the urls for the websites featured in the episode?

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

What did the disclaimer say?

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I missed the disclaimer too.

The episode was okay. It was funny when Homer's map of Springfield was shown, and I was thinking whether I should pause it with Tivo or not to read everything.

~T

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Meh. It had its moments, but its treatment of the issue (even though I support it) was way too pedantic.

15. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

My DVR didn't kick in until they came back from commercial, so Fox must have started the broadcast before 7pm. I too, missed the disclaimer. I can't imagine why they ran a disclaimer since ABC had more same sex action on Desperate Housewives tonight than this whole episode and ABC did it without one.

So much for the whole lead-up to this episode, with the 'it won't be someone we would suspect' angle. I thought the ep was pretty stupid up until the point that Homer started marrying people + whatever the hell they wanted. As a gay man and someone who cherishes the institution of marriage, I was somewhat offended by the fact that the TPOB continued the whole 'marriage is a joke, so why get upset' satire ad nauseum. [​IMG]

I imagine Jim Brooks has to get pretty liquored up before he even looks at The Simpsons nowadays... I knew going in to the episode tonight that the show isn't as good as it was but I now resolve to never watch another episode, media & promos be damned. [​IMG]

16. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The disclaimer said something like:

"This episode contains discussion of same-sex marriage. Parental discretion is advised."

That's Rupert Murdoch for you...

17. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I wish it had said "This episode contains discussion of same-sex marriage. If that sort of thing bothers you then change the fucking channel. AND DON'T SEND US LETTERS." [​IMG]

My biggest dilemma with the episode is that I don't know what now completes the name Selma Bouvier Terwilliger Hutz McClure _______. Disco Stu does not advertise, nor does he reveal his last name. I suppose that since it was annulled she can't legally carry his name.

Brad

18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    My favorite bit was the "veil" Homer made out of a paper bag that said "Do Not Feed" on the forehead.

Anyone have a capture of that?

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Patty: I'm, I'm gay. You're not disappointed, are you?
    Marge: Oh no, no no, no I'm just um, surprised!
    Homer: Yeah, big surprise. Hey Marge, Here's another bomb. I like beer! AHAHAHAHAHA!
    [​IMG]