What's new

The reduction of my optical disc collection has started today! (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I might get to that eventually. I always get rid of the DVD edition when the blu-ray comes out, aside from odd circumstances when a key special feature isn't ported or when the blu-ray turns out to be utter crap. Otherwise I try to thin out duplicates whenever possible.

I've never counted my DVDs & blu-rays, but they're easily in the thousands. Not a problem for me, but one day

I haven't reached a "burn-out" stage over the past 8 years, but it might happen. I still get enjoyment out of what I watch (usually). I just try to buy what I like. And, most importantly, I still have plenty of room for it all.

I almost never give them away. The best way to sell DVDs that won't move online is by selling them in bulk to local 2nd hand stores. If you keep them in good condition (and sell to someone who doesn't routinely check online prices), they won't be picky. I have such a guy that takes it all solely because I keep it in such good condition.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
What I did to save shelf space was to digitalize the DVD's of films (not TV series) (around 6,000 titles) using Handbrake and MetaX, storing these digital files as part of my iTunes library on a Drobo 5N, and saving only the DVD's on storage cases I bought through Amazon which stores ~900 discs

91yqLKZsgwL._SL1500_.jpg

covers and inserts went into plastic file boxes (alphabetically) and cases went to the Salvation Army.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I did a similar thing on a smaller scale yesterday. I filled a large Trader Joe's paper bag to the brim with DVDs I had over the months replaced with blu-rays. They cost of the contents originally must have been $1,000 or more. I sold them to Amoeba Records on Sunset in L.A. for $85, which would have been significantly less if I had not gone for the "credit for new merchandise" option they give. I ended up spending it all on six discs. The horror of what I had done seeped in when I noticed two titles on their shelves that were the same as I sold them (and were much more "used' than mine) one for $15 and another for $19. At that point I began to reconsider the "download to own" option I've always been so against. Bad deals don't get much worse that this.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
I did a similar thing on a smaller scale yesterday. I filled a large Trader Joe's paper bag to the brim with DVDs I had over the months replaced with blu-rays. They cost of the contents originally must have been $1,000 or more. I sold them to Amoeba Records on Sunset in L.A. for $85, which would have been significantly less if I had not gone for the "credit for new merchandise" option they give. I ended up spending it all on six discs. The horror of what I had done seeped in when I noticed two titles on their shelves that were the same as I sold them (and were much more "used' than mine) one for $15 and another for $19. At that point I began to reconsider the "download to own" option I've always been so against. Bad deals don't get much worse that this.
I had to wipe away a tear, Ed, after reading that story. ;)

How sad. But it is our reality.

You likely would have done better to donate to a library or charity for the tax break you could get--if one itemizes their deductions.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Ejanss said:
As for me, I don't keep three copies of anything. (Unless you count Star Wars, since I had to keep the Limited Theatrical edition and the Blu set dropped the ball by not including Empire of Dreams.)
For me, it's all about Upgrade: I set out to own one perfect copy of every movie I like, and if a studio wants to put out a more perfect version, bring it on.
Same here. I only started collecting BD's a few years ago (up to 476 now, with add'l 90 DVD's of films not yet on BD). If a BD is issued, out goes the DVD (sell them on Ebay). No VHS (I trashed our VHS collection, which consisted mainly of Disney films I now have on DVD/BD, 4 years ago as I don't have a VHS player anymore and can't tolerate watching VHS-quality anymore. Never owned a LD or LD player.

NO duplicates. For me, it's all about the film and the transfer. I only own movies that I love (or like VERY much) and re-issues of the same transfer with different packaging or extras don't do anything for me. I only have 3 "big box" editions (LOA, Ben-Hur and TWOZ), everything else is in normal BD cases (or reasonable size box-set like the Hitchcock, James Dean, Monsters sets, etc). So, my 476 films take up 4 drawers in our TV armoire, plus 7 wicker media baskets that are lined-up under the armoire. I'm about to buy 3 more baskets to accomodate the 17 or so I have on pre-order plus expansion after that.

Just like you, if a BD titles get an upgrade in transfer, I'll buy it, If it's just an upgrade or change in packaging or extras, it's a no go.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Vic Pardo said:
I would love to find a place to send my tapes, but nobody seems to want them anymore. I sure wish there was a VHS preservation archive. If I could find someone to fund a space to store and maintain tapes, I'd start one myself. There are so many films/TV shows/alternate versions that are only available on VHS.
There is always Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Also, your state might welcome a donation to the DHS or to hospitals or courthouses to keep kids entertained while they are going through rough times, providing some of your tapes are family-oriented. There really are people who still use vhs, and you could be supporting a worthy cause.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Crawford said:
This reduction will likely take me several weeks to complete including the disposition of the excess inventory.
Correction, it will probably take me several months to complete this project.

A couple of examples as to why it will take me longer is the evaluation of what to keep or not. I pulled out Animal House which I own three different DVD releases. Also, I own it on HD DVD along with a DVD in that case along with the BD. Of those DVD releases two of them came in 1998, then 2003. The HD DVD came in 2006 followed by the BD in 2011.

The other example is The Blues Brothers. I have two DVD releases of it, first one was released in 1998 then again in 2005. The BD was released in 2011 which contains both the theatrical and extended versions of the film. However, I'm not sure if it contains all of the bonus material from the 25th Anniversary DVD release from 2005.

By the way, I just junked over 500 DVD-R that I recorded off my satellite with my DVD recorders over the years that have since been replaced by either DVD or BD releases from the various studios and companies. This 500 number is not reflected in my original shy of 10,000 optical disc library comment.

My head is already aching and I've just started. This is what happens when you begin collecting DVDs since March, 1997. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Correction, it will probably take me several weeks to complete this project.

A couple of examples as to why it will take me longer is the evaluation of what to keep or not. I pulled out Animal House which I own three different DVD releases. Also, I own it on HD DVD along with a DVD in that case along with the BD. Of those DVD releases two of them came in 1998, then 2003. The HD DVD came in 2006 followed by the BD in 2011.

The other example is The Blues Brothers. I have two DVD releases of it, first one was released in 1998 then again in 2005. The BD was released in 2011 which contains both the theatrical and extended versions of the film. However, I'm not sure if it contains all of the bonus material from the 25th Anniversary DVD release from 2005.
I hate to tell you this but if you're going to compare what is and isn't ported over between releases, it's going to take you several months. I speak from experience when I say that it can be a time consuming process if you're doing it all yourself (rather than relying on reviews, etc.).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If you have 10 000 titles, it would take you over 27 years to watch each one just once at a rate of one per day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
I hate to tell you this but if you're going to compare what is and isn't ported over between releases, it's going to take you several months. I speak from experience when I say that it can be a time consuming process if you're doing it all yourself (rather than relying on reviews, etc.).
That's what I meant to say in my prior post in which I quoted the "several weeks".

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ed Lachmann said:
Yeah, in that case it usually only pays to do that with titles that won't move online at a decent enough price (if at all). Some 2nd hand dealers (usually ma & pa types) simply offer a flat rate on a DVD no matter what it's online value is, not caring whether it is a Criterion or an Alpha Video DVD, at, say $2 a DVD. So if you have anything that can fetch at least $6 or more profit online, I wouldn't recommend it.

I also hold onto snapper cases. Replacement snappers are so hard to come by these days that if I ever need a replacement, I just dismantle the spare and give away the disc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
Correction, it will probably take me several months to complete this project.

By the way, I just junked over 500 DVD-R that I recorded off my satellite with my DVD recorders over the years that have since been replaced by either DVD or BD releases from the various studios and companies. This 500 number is not reflected in my original shy of 10,000 optical disc library comment.

My head is already aching and I've just started. This is what happens when you begin collecting DVDs since March, 1997. :)
I am very good about getting rid of old titles when I upgrade to a new format or new transfer. However, I have one big advantage over you, Robert -- I do not really care about the extras, so as long as the new transfer is better, I am happy. In fact, I actually "downgraded" a couple of titles back to DVD because the BD transfer was unacceptable -- Spartacus and My Fair Lady (repurchased them used to save some money). And that reminds me -- it's time once again to get rid of my DVD copy of MFL now that a decent BD transfer is imminent.

The only title duplicate I have in my collection is the DVD set of Star Wars episodes 4-6 along with the BD set of all six films, and that is only because that version includes the original theatrical versions, albeit in non-anamorphic transfers. I probably should sell those while they are still worth decent money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Robert:

Do you have a plan for what you're going to do with the discs when you complete the purge?

Forum sale, garage sale, relatives, sell to a retailer/e-tailer, pawn shop, GoodWill/Salvation Army...

That part of the task can almost be as daunting as the purge itself.

Good luck. It's a difficult process all around.
Not yet, though I'm not interested in any garage sale. I'll probably look at some alternatives such as tax deduction donations to some charities.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
I am very good about getting rid of old titles when I upgrade to a new format or new transfer. However, I have one big advantage over you, Robert -- I do not really care about the extras, so as long as the new transfer is better, I am happy. In fact, I actually "downgraded" a couple of titles back to DVD because the BD transfer was unacceptable -- Spartacus and My Fair Lady (repurchased them used to save some money). And that reminds me -- it's time once again to get rid of my DVD copy of MFL now that a decent BD transfer is imminent.

The only title duplicate I have in my collection is the DVD set of Star Wars episodes 4-6 along with the BD set of all six films, and that is only because that version includes the original theatrical versions, albeit in non-anamorphic transfers. I probably should sell those while they are still worth decent money.
I enjoy the extras to a certain degree as I have to do a balancing act in this sorting out process.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Scott Merryfield said:
I am very good about getting rid of old titles when I upgrade to a new format or new transfer. However, I have one big advantage over you, Robert -- I do not really care about the extras, so as long as the new transfer is better, I am happy. In fact, I actually "downgraded" a couple of titles back to DVD because the BD transfer was unacceptable -- Spartacus and My Fair Lady (repurchased them used to save some money). And that reminds me -- it's time once again to get rid of my DVD copy of MFL now that a decent BD transfer is imminent.The only title duplicate I have in my collection is the DVD set of Star Wars episodes 4-6 along with the BD set of all six films, and that is only because that version includes the original theatrical versions, albeit in non-anamorphic transfers. I probably should sell those while they are still worth decent money.
No extras for me either. The only ones I ever watch is the occasional trailer. My perfect BD release is an A+ transfer w/ original trailer in standard case with good artwork. I think different extras, packaging (steelbooks, anniversary packages, etc) are the big reason people have dupes in a BD collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
atfree said:
No extras for me either. The only ones I ever watch is the occasional trailer. My perfect BD release is an A+ transfer w/ original trailer in standard case with good artwork. I think different extras, packaging (steelbooks, anniversary packages, etc) are the big reason people have dupes in a BD collection.
I don't care about trailers, but I do love audio commentaries.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
I know a lot of people do but they're just not for me. If I'm watching a movie, I'm watching a movie....I don't even like my wife to talk during one! :) I kinda feel like Spielberg does about audio commentaries.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
I almost never listen to commentaries, and usually do not watch trailers, either. I will sometimes watch a featurette on the background of a film or actor in the same sitting if I have time after watching the actual film, but once I have seen it I do not need to see it again. I almost never go back to watch the extras at a different time from when I sat down to watch the film itself -- I would rather watch another film or TV show.

Maybe that's why I have watched every film in my collection, with the exception of a few that have been purchased within the past few weeks -- but have not watched the majority of the extras. If I spent all that time watching the extras, I wouldn't have the time to watch all the films I buy, too. I generally only have a window of 2-3 hours in the evenings a few days a week to watch something from my collection, so I have to make the most of that time.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I wouldn't begin to know how to cull my sci-fi/horror DVD collection. Almost 95% of them have not been issued on BD and may never will be.

So, I'm keeping my DVDs and only replacing them when the BD is of superior quality. Case in point..."The Time Machine." If you didn't have the BD, then the SD was good enough, that's how good the SD was.

Upscaling to 1080i, onto a 110" screen from a Epson 9500 PJ thru a HDA1...I don't care what you say, there wasn't that much of a difference...surely not night and day!!! I know, I have them both and did an A/B comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks