What's new

The reduction of my optical disc collection has started today! (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
In a couple of years, that format may be even less viable than it is now!

With the way that certain physical media seems to be making a comeback (vinyl) or now holding steady after a steady decline (CD) for some interesting reasons, in a couple of years the exact opposite could happen. I don't believe it will totally dominate but it seems like UHD Blu is carving out a nich, albeit still a small one. I'm seeing them more & more in WalMart.

And in a smart move all the UHD Blus I've seen include a companion Blu-ray and in some cases digital download code.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
With the way that certain physical media seems to be making a comeback (vinyl) or now holding steady after a steady decline (CD) for some interesting reasons, in a couple of years the exact opposite could happen. I don't believe it will totally dominate but it seems like UHD Blu is carving out a nich, albeit still a small one. I'm seeing them more & more in WalMart.

And in a smart move all the UHD Blus I've seen include a companion Blu-ray and in some cases digital download code.
From what I understand the Bluray is a requirement ...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

The format offers nothing to we collectors of classic cinema and in all probability never will. The format is fine if you're into movies like San Andreas, Pan, Maze Runner, Fantastic Four,The Peanuts Movie, The Expendables 3, Exodus: Gods And Kings, Ghostbusters etc. But if you're into All About Eve, Bringing Up Baby, On The Waterfront, L'Avventura, The Birds, A Streetcar Named Desire, La Dolce Vita or 7 Brides For 7 Brothers what's the point? Of course, you're seeing more titles at Walmart but when's the last time you saw a copy of Sunset Boulevard or Rebecca at Walmart?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The format offers nothing to we collectors of classic cinema and in all probability never will. The format is fine if you're into movies like San Andreas, Pan, Maze Runner, Fantastic Four,The Peanuts Movie, The Expendables 3, Exodus: Gods And Kings, Ghostbusters etc. But if you're into All About Eve, Bringing Up Baby, On The Waterfront, L'Avventura, The Birds, A Streetcar Named Desire, La Dolce Vita or 7 Brides For 7 Brothers what's the point? Of course, you're seeing more titles at Walmart but when's the last time you saw a copy of Sunset Boulevard or Rebecca at Walmart?

Point taken, but the Sunset Boulevard bluray was in the $7.88 dump bin at Wal*Mart ( I didn't get it as I had paid $10.99 @ Costco for it)

Wal*Mart did have the Exclusive Criterion DVD of It's a Hard Day's Night and the bluray for 1776

Criterions are available through the Wal*Mart website (as well as Target's)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks