What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The Predator offers up a zip and energy to the franchise, and while the lean efficiency of the 1987 original is missed, the lighter nature of this sequel does work in its favor from time to time, especially as a way to distinguish itself. Callbacks to the original tend to be limited and the film tries to take the franchise in a new and interesting direction. Sadly, the execution doesn’t end up working. Sure, Shane Black’s direction is quite effective, the visual effects top notch, the actors largely good, and the ideas full of potential, but all that isn’t enough to overcome the films plentiful weaknesses and in a way, The Predator feels like it was filmed before the script was finished (or before the best version of the script was finished).

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ha. Onion. I meant opinion of course but in a strange way onion works. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the review, It's not as good as the Predator or even Predator 2, but I liked it more than you as I enjoy the comedic moments with the oddball characters.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Being a huge fan of all the previous Predator films (Predator 1 & 2, Predators, Alien Vs. Predator 1 & 2), I had high expectations for The Predator. I finally saw this on Blu-ray earlier this year, and felt the movie was just OK. The action scenes were solid, but it had way too many comedic elements for a serious sci-fi thriller. I also felt the casting was poor. Too bad, since I'm typically a huge fan of Shane Black films, and have really enjoyed some of his others (The Long Kiss Goodnight; Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; The Nice Guys).

I did like the Predator "dog" in the film, and also liked the fact that this was a sequel & not a re-make. I.e., the Predator incidents in in the first two films were referenced - Predator 1 came out in '87, and Predator 2 took place in '97.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm becoming very sensitive to studio interference in film, and this one has it all over the place. I still enjoyed it for what it was, but didn't think much about it afterwards.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I bet you the Shane Black wanted it to be more violent and perhaps have more dark comedic moments in it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I love the original Predator, still enjoy Predator 2, and tolerated Predators, but The Predator was just a lousy film IMO. I may watch it once again just make sure I wasn't having a bad night, but it is the worst movie of the four by a large margin as far as I'm concerned. Studio interference may well be at play here, but I expected a lot more from Shane Black. Barely 2 stars out of 5 for me.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I love the original Predator, still enjoy Predator 2, and tolerated Predators, but The Predator was just a lousy film IMO. I may watch it once again just make sure I wasn't having a bad night, but it is the worst movie of the four by a large margin as far as I'm concerned. Studio interference may well be at play here, but I expected a lot more from Shane Black. Barely 2 stars out of 5 for me.
I just watched this again for the first time since I did this review and found that I enjoyed it a little more than before. The flaws I noted as still there, but not as damaging as I felt originally. I found it funnier than the first time and liked the oddball characters even more this go around. I would have liked to see this franchise continue with the ideas opened up at the end of this film. Oh, well.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Being a huge fan of all the previous Predator films (Predator 1 & 2, Predators, Alien Vs. Predator 1 & 2), I had high expectations for The Predator. I finally saw this on Blu-ray earlier this year, and felt the movie was just OK. The action scenes were solid, but it had way too many comedic elements for a serious sci-fi thriller. I also felt the casting was poor. Too bad, since I'm typically a huge fan of Shane Black films, and have really enjoyed some of his others (The Long Kiss Goodnight; Kiss Kiss Bang Bang; The Nice Guys).

I did like the Predator "dog" in the film, and also liked the fact that this was a sequel & not a re-make. I.e., the Predator incidents in in the first two films were referenced - Predator 1 came out in '87, and Predator 2 took place in '97.
Which actors did you dislike? I thought all were at least good in their roles.

I also liked the predator dog, but while watching it the last time I realized I didn’t know what happened to him, so I paid close attention and saw that he survived. I’d like to have seen a reference to him in the last scene in the film. I also didn’t like how the normal dog was dropped from the story.

However, I enjoy this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks