THE OTHER

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    A modest proposal Ron: couldn't this sidebar discussion be appended to the existing Conversations with Twilight Time's Nick Redman thread? It seems to be picking up where that discussion left off.

I just see Robert Mulligan's lovely little genre treasure continuing to be trampled here by more 'sidebar' than...well...um...'bar'. ;)

2. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Unlike Peter Pan, the rest of us DO have the option of growing up.

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    By all means, move those posts to the other thread. I'm the one who began this thread to bring attention to this beauty of a transfer, so there's that :)

And I don't think an e-mail from June of 2011 is that recent, which is the last time I made an e-mail to Mr. Kaufman that could be considered truly derogatory about this place, long before my return here and when I was an Angry Young (well) Man. :) Nothing selective about that--just stating pure, unadulterated facts.

Having now met Ron and having been back here in much calmer fashion, I have changed all my former opinions from those bad old days. As I said, we all have e-mails and we've all seen e-mails, but, as I've also said, I'm sure decorum will prevail HERE. And I'm done with this and anything further on this matter that requires response will only come from me in the other thread, which is a good idea from ROclockCK, who I hope is happy that I'm spelling his name correctly now even thought it's REALLY hard to type.

And we now return you to The Other, a beauty of a transfer and a wonderful film worth taking a chance on.

4. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    FWIW Ted, I can't say I've always thought of you as "Moe Dick"... :P

5. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    (Uh...you could try the spoilered link in the earlier post, if you don't believe me?
    Think this was at the point where a studio thinks a twist ending is too "lame", and tries to sell it up front as "That's what the movie's SUPPOSED to be about!"
    And although I was ahead of it about two-thirds through the movie, I don't think this quite fits into the same category as studios trying to spoil-resell Magnolia or Jacob's Ladder...)

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Sidetrack, but a funny one.

Modern Family did a take on this whole "spoil a movie" bit. Forget the movie(deleted the episode as well)...buy Jay gives away the ending of the movie he and Manny are going to see, to wit from the crowd..."Thanks"...reply by Jay "Christ's sake, the movie is 50 years old..."

7. RetroGuy

RetroGuy Agent

David Edwards
    The movie Jay spoiled was "The Sounds of Music" when he mentioned the family's escape over the Alps. :)

8. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Was left wondering the same thing, expecting some discussion now that it started shipping. Then again, the Twilight Time label seems to bring out the worst in people and these threads typically devolve into these sorts of anti-TT/pro-TT spats. I guess the more positive Drums Along the Mohawk thread was a fluke of sorts. Just when I think it's over...

As for the movie, I actually passed on it after being on the fence about it. However, I think I might just give it a shot given its positive feedback. I don't have all that many new movies appropriate for this time of year anyhow.

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    And oh yeah...

Big Bang Theory lays waste to Raiders of The Lost Ark...that is classic...

10. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    This will be an interesting rediscovery for me 40 years after the fact Joe. I saw The Other three times in '72, and not since.

Age does funny things to movies though...some lose their lustre...while others shine in new and unexpected ways. I just recall really loving the unusual 'vibe' of this one.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    We had a nice meet. I remember it. I knew who you were and was
    actually looking forward to meeting you.

It was old times. People and situations change. I am not holding grudges.

Hope we have the opportunity to talk in more detail when we have our next meet.

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  12. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Actually it is the same with me. I have not seen it since the film original theatre release but remember how creepy it was and that feeling has stayed with me for all these years. I am looking forward to sitting down with this in a very dim room.

I really don't think (hope) it will lose that vibe.

ROclockCK likes this.
  13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Me, too, Ron!

ahollis likes this.
  14. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    And it's worth repeating that the TT business model is not a one-way street. The studios (Fox, Sony, and now MGM/UA) also are on board with the limited edition model.

When I was a kid in 1961 the seating capacity at Yankee Stadium was roughly 67,000. The new Yankee Stadium has a seating capacity of 50,291. The team's home attendance in 1961 was 1,747,725. The team's home attendance in 2012 was 3,542,406.

In fact, nowadays there are only four major league baseball stadiums in the country with a seating capacity that exceeds 50,000. The powers that be figured out that there was no urgency for fans to buy tickets in advance when on any given day they could walk up on game day and find good seats available.

I was on the fence about buying The Other until I read Matt's review and the other positive comments here. Then I thought to myself, "I'd better order it while it is still available." That is exactly the kind of buyer behavior which the limited edition approach hopes to inspire.

ROclockCK and ahollis like this.
  15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I picked it up, too. Looking forward to a creepy '70's double-bill of this and LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (the OOP Paramount disc of which I just picked up thanks to Amazon Marketplace).

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

No sense of humor, dude.

17. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Hope you didn't pay more than $19.00 for Jessica, for WAC just reprinted it two weeks ago through their Paramount deal. Another good second feature would be the George C. Scott film THE CHANGELING.

Mark B likes this.
  18. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thanks, just ordered it recently. I'll look forward to seeing how this one holds up.

19. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Is there a reason why you spoiled some other movie in this thread? Spoilers are not really that "funny".

lark144, WadeM and JohnMor like this.
  20. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I was wondering the same thing. So unnecessary. :huh: