What's new

THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Please, oh please! Could Criterion or someone give us a new restored version of THE OLD DARK HOUSE in HD in Bluray and DVD? This is number one on my wish list and my favorite of all the classic horror films. I know Universal has a fine-grain master. Anyone else interested?

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
They do say Universal lost the copyright when the 60s version was made by William Castle, but if you look at the documentary on Universal Horror it is a beautiful print they use of THE OLD DARK HOUSE. It's got to be around somewhere. And, yes, if Criterion would take it on like they did with ISLAND OF LOST SOULS it would be a dream come true! Kino did an okay job, but the print they used (which they claimed was from the original "shrunken" negative) was horrible. At least we have that, but I can't help but dream of a better print out there somewhere.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well to hit the trifecta for 1932, WB or WAC need to release a little pre-code film with this handsome guy
tumblr_ltnl1jWzL81r294o5o1_500.gif

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
oh Cohen, well if it got the same treatment that Jamaica Inn got and was released, I would be happy with that as well

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There are some threads on this film over at the Classic Horror Film Board. I think Universal sold the rights to this years ago and, from what I recall, the best print is at MOMA.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The Carolina Theater in Durham, NC, is playing Whale's version of The Old Dark House on Friday May 27, 2016. Not sure yet as to what format

MikeDE

Second Unit
I had never seen this, so recently picked up the Kino version. It was hard to watch and a disappointment. I'll bet it's a good film if there were a good presentation.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I like it. But it is indeed a bizarre sensation watching Charles Laughton in such a lightweight role. And to see such a young Melvyn Douglas.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Its with Cohen Media , along with Behind Closed Doors, Sudden Fear, Railroaded etc.. Kino lost the rights, and Cohen grabbed them for some eventual blu ray releases ( I hope) :)

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
I've been waiting for a Cohen blu-ray of Sudden Fear for ages, after seeing it screened in a beautiful 2k copy back in 2012...I honestly don't know what's holding them off from releasing it on physical media...

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Supposedly, OLD DARK HOUSE *isn't* with Cohen any longer -- it's not listed with them anymore.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Someone please rescue this amazing film. Someone give us a clear image of Saul changing from a sweet, innocent child-like cherub into a demon-possessed maniac before our eyes!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Kino lost the rights, and Cohen grabbed them for some eventual blu ray releases ( I hope)

These were part of the Rohauer Collection which was purchased by Cohen Media not only for disc release but also theatrical release. I think there's been a conflict as to whether the rights to OLD DARK HOUSE had been controlled by Rohauer, Universal or the J.B. Priestley Estate (he wrote the original novel)- and that's probably why it's now in limbo.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The upcoming May 27 screening at the Carolina Theater in Durham NC will be from a Blu-ray provided by Kino. It is not known if this is a restoration or simply the HD version of what was released to DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks