What's new

The official WORST STUDIO COVER ART thread. Post your worst covers! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ethan,

Took me a second to figure that out.

For a moment, I was like, "Oh no, they didn't friggin' do that"

But, I gotta say, I do know a studio that did something very
close to what you depicted in your photoshop artwork....

facdb2ab_514623QANFL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

Tell me how wrong this artwork is. It's the most
asinine thing that could be put on a cover.

The studio just assumed that everybody had seen
the film. For a new generation, it totally ruins the
movie even before the disc is inserted in the machine.

That's a real cover, by the way.

You know, the more I think about it, perhaps that
cover should be the very worst of everything posted
thus far including Murder By Death.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Ron - I've never seen the original PLANET OF THE APES, and now you've just spoiled it for me! (Only Kidding...!)
You're right... that was one of the all-time WORST covers, ever. And besides the Statue Of Liberty, they used a pic of Roddy McDowall as Caesar instead of Cornelius!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Joe Karlosi said:
Thanks, Ron - I've never seen the original PLANET OF THE APES, and now you've just spoiled it for me! (Only Kidding...!)
You're right... that was one of the all-time WORST covers, ever. And besides the Statue Of Liberty, they used a pic of Roddy McDowall as Caesar instead of Cornelius!
For heavens sakes--that is Caesar! So not only did they give away the ending to the first movie, they gave away the plot of the next four movies as well-- :D

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
The drawn movie poster is a lost art, when Drew retired it all went to hell!
I have always hated this:
37c1da01_mpw59064.jpeg

Its not even the right gun!!

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
I always liked the original poster art for To Catch a Thief, but the DVD cover is so boring, even with two gorgeous people on the cover!
e73b6afb_Thief1.jpeg

Another poster I always liked was The Palm Beach Story, the DVD cover looks so boring!
5ced90ec_PalmBeach.jpeg

809d5d95_PalmBeachDVD.jpeg

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
Kelly - Regarding Thief, this is one instance where I'd have a hard time choosing between the two, only because that photo of Grace is so utterly gorgeous that I had to have that particular edition, despite having an earlier one.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
KellyVO said:
I always liked the original poster art for To Catch a Thief, but the DVD cover is so boring, even with two gorgeous people on the cover!
]
They're selling classic dvds and blu-rays to people who already collect nostalgia, right? So they really should give the covers a nice "vintage" look. Do they think they're fooling people into buying movies that are brand new? It's never made any sense to me why they try to make things look too modern.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Ronald Epstein said:
It never ceases to amaze us how many times studios botch
original poster art and put out a product with something on the
cover that has been badly photoshopped. [...]Take a look at this great poster for one of my favorite comedies,
Murder By Death....
[...](and by the way, Sony, we need a Blu-ray release on this one please)
You stole my "favorite" worst cover, Ron (STILL no word from Sony about a Blu-ray and/or deleted scenes?!)
Anyhow, here's a (very) close second:
Beautiful Drew Struzan artwork for SW SE in 1997:
5b17010e_700x1033_movie7postersstar_wars-1997_special_edition-us.jpeg

......and the 2004 DVD cover:
5306fcaa_2504f.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No word from Sony on Murder By Death for Blu-ray.

Then again, I haven't really had the chance to talk
to them as of late.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
c7d4c49c_betteroffdeadbluray1985.jpeg

What in the name of all that is holy happened here! Drew should never left off a cover or poster if you have the option!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by TheLongshot /t/312686/the-official-worst-studio-cover-art-thread-post-your-worst-covers/120#post_3842515
One I'm surprised no one posted yet: the new release of Tron.

6b6bfafd_TronPoster.jpeg

5fbcc48b_trontheoriginalclassicblu-raycover.png
One of many reasons why I bought the two-movie combo pack. The original DVD SE was a thing of beauty:
445247f5_41PQ1Q38NCL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

I consider this a near-perfect repurposing of original cover art for home video purposes.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
phantom_BD_loc_%7Bd474dd53-7b6f-4dad-d84c-10e5ef2ece08%7D.jpg

all of the great vintage art for this, and this is what we have, my god talk about giving away the surprise on the front cover

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Ethan Riley said:
They're selling classic dvds and blu-rays to people who already collect nostalgia, right? So they really should give the covers a nice "vintage" look. Do they think they're fooling people into buying movies that are brand new? It's never made any sense to me why they try to make things look too modern.
Again I never quite understood that? I'm in my 20s myself and I prefer the original artwork myself!
Here is another one I hate. I hate the Criterion DVD cover of My Man Godfrey, they should have stuck with the original artwork!
29a50389_Godfrey.jpeg

But honestly I think Columbia takes the cake for the worst DVD covers, take a beautiful woman like Rita Hayworth and you get medicore DVD cover art!
1377039a_Gilda.jpeg

7389f57c_GildaDVD.jpeg

c2f1b75f_Carmen.jpeg

f10196f0_CarmenDVD.jpeg

fe540539_Earth.jpeg

9a045b18_EarthDVD.jpeg

018494ca_Shanghai.jpeg

2a26a8c5_ShanghaiDVD.jpeg

I think Affair in Trinidad takes the prize for worst!
430435d6_Affair.jpeg

14a708b1_AffairDVD.jpeg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
as for image giving it all away , you know it doesnt have to all be vintage, belive it or not this beautiful work is for this years film festivle

72e513b1_tumblr_lp8mkczCNo1qz72v7o1_500.jpeg

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Not the worst cover ever, and I'm glad Paramount is finally releasing pre-1970 catalog films.
The cover is in line with Paramounts other westerns - drained black and brown - but really this says nothing about the film and wouldn't entice anyone to watch it if they never saw it before

e5b0cb87_littlebigmanbrd.jpeg

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
KellyVO said:
Again I never quite understood that? I'm in my 20s myself and I prefer the original artwork myself!
29a50389_Godfrey.jpeg

1377039a_Gilda.jpeg

fe540539_Earth.jpeg
The poster art for "Glida" "My Man Godfrey" and "Down to Earth" are really nice - the Video art - not so much

But the others, (IMO) the poster art isn't very good to begin with - not that the DVD art is an improvement

"Affair in Trinidad" has awful art work all around

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
GMpasqua said:
Not the worst cover ever, and I'm glad Paramount is finally releasing pre-1970 catalog films.
The cover is in line with Paramounts other westerns - drained black and brown - but really this says nothing about the film and wouldn't entice anyone to watch it if they never saw it before

e5b0cb87_littlebigmanbrd.jpeg
What do you think about this one?
194ff90c_27255_large.jpeg

While it's not a badly photoshopped cover by any means, it looks like the cover of a Western. Especially when the movie had such iconic artwork that it was even replicated for the (shudder) remake.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
These are being release by two different studios - yet the art work looks the same - like it's the same movie even.

Is one person doing all these Blu-ray covers??? - and if so, it may be time to replace that person

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Is one person doing all these Blu-ray covers??? - and if so, it may be time to replace that person
Indeed. That's exactly what it's been looking like for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks