What's new

The official WORST STUDIO COVER ART thread. Post your worst covers! (1 Viewer)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I actually really like the Paths of Glory Criterion cover because the emotion on Kirk's face is the emotion I have when watching the film. To me, it's one of utter hopelessness, but defiance in the knowledge of that hopelessness.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
40c0685e_bob2Bpeak2Bthoroughly_modern_millie_ver2.jpg

612b11ed_40206147.jpg

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
There's really no excuse for that Eureka Touch of Evil cover. Ironically, while it doesn't look as bargain-basement as Ron's Murder by Death example, it tells us less than the latter abomination does. If it wasn't for the title...
I've made a space on my wall for that German Wages of Fear job, should anyone have an original that's cluttering up their nice home...:D Great dramatic stuff!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The thing that has become overwhelmingly clear over the course of this thread is that Sony is the worst offender when it comes to abominable cover art. As further evidence, I present" Paul Schrader's Hardcore, starring George C. Scott.
First, the poster, a model of minimalism:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/630026/width/1000/height/800

And now, Sony's DVD:
ac044e8a_hardcore-george-c-scott-dvd-cover-art.jpg

While not as bad as Real Genius, still pretty awful.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I have to say, the Hardcore poster would not work as a DVD cover. In a theater lobby, yes, but not as a DVD.

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
I've loved movie poster art ever since I became aware of it as a kid (and why I'm a collector) with those black and white ads in the newspapers. I'm especially fond of posters that add those little drawings, like those on the bottom of Touch of Evil.
(Sometimes the art is too good, analogous to the smell of coffe where both are superior to what they promise...;))

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
marsnkc said:
I've loved movie poster art ever since I became aware of it as a kid (and why I'm a collector) with those black and white ads in the newspapers. I'm especially fond of posters that add those little drawings, like those on the bottom of Touch of Evil.
(Sometimes the art is too good, analogous to the smell of coffe where both are superior to what they promise...;))
I wholeheartedly agree! Except that this thread is for when the reverse is true lol

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
This whole thread got me thinking--you know, I can create bad cover art too! In fact, I can create even worse cover art than these amazing college-educated graphic designers the studios have slaving away on these box covers. Sheesh~! I'll go at them, tit for tat--Here's my first offering. Who wants in? Who wants to create some really bad cover art and post it here? Let's show them that we can suck as artists and make money at it too !!! :D
47df6dfa_INVASION.jpeg

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ethan - I think you're really exaggerating.
Guys - the whole thing is, they have to make the covers eye-catching so they would be spotted by potential fans/buyers. The original barren HARDCORE poster, for example, just would not really catch the eye if placed on a Blu-ray cover. What's so hard to understand about that? We want these to sell, don't we?

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I'm all for changing the cover art to make it more eye catching, but nine times out of ten, the new art is bad and there's no reason for it to be bad. I think that's the real point. We all can appreciate the original art, and if it's only a choice between old or new, most of us would prefer the old. However, that's not the question. The question is how to make the cover art catch the person's eye so they'll have a bigger chance of buying the title? It's just a shame that the studios are letting low costs drive the art, meaning they want to spend as little as possible to update these covers. I'm sure there's some laziness in there too, but I'm willing to bet that most of the time, it's the money involved (or lack thereof) that has given birth to these horrendous covers.
Having said that, I love this thread. It's always good for a laugh (or a scream!)

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
I agree on the new Tron "classic" cover, horrid. The original poster was so much better.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Why can't studios just make reverseable cover art? Just have the bad photoshops that marketing comes up with up front in the stores and then original art on the back so that people who want to can just take the cover out and turn it around.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
WillG said:
Why can't studios just make reverseable cover art? Just have the bad photoshops that marketing comes up with up front in the stores and then original art on the back so that people who want to can just take the cover out and turn it around.
The company Arrow does this with some of their UK-exclusive Blu-Ray titles like Obsession.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks