What's new

International THE JUNGLE BOOK (aka DAS DSCHUNGELBUCH in Germany) (1942) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There hasn't been much discussion about the Sabu / Joseph Calleia / John Qualen film, which was produced by Alexander Korda and directed by Zoltan Korda. Perhaps this is because not many people remember this version over the numerous Disney iterations, both live-action and animated, and even 3D. Plus, there have been no official domestic Blu-rays released or announced. I sent away for countless DVD's of this from Europe and the States, hoping to find one that even came remotely close to having Technicolor look, only to find one after another of these P.D. copies with faded colors and muffled sound (the music score is by Miklos Rozsa, so one would want it to sound very good), with the sole exception of the DVD issued by Criterion some years back. This movie is apparently in the public domain, but I knew it could look great, because I spent $150.00 in 1970's dollars to buy a feature-length Super 8mm print. While two of the reels looked splendid, the other four looked like precursors to the crumby DVD's I had bought. I finally stumbled upon this Blu-ray on Amazon Germany, believing I was probably going to get just another disappointing transfer.

Wow! What a delightful surprise! Now that's what it should look like! Much of this Region B 1080p Blu-ray (AR is 1.33:1) truly has the Technicolor saturation, with a nicely rendered edition that sports a sharp image, accurate skin tones, good contrast and black levels, and visible grain. The soundtrack is German by default, but it can be switched over to English either on the fly or by using the menu. In addition, as a bonus feature, there is a full-length German animated feature that is in that language and which doesn't feature an option for English subtitles, but by now we all know the story well enough to follow it visually. As you can see from the link, it is still available...cheap! I haven't ever tried posting screen caps, but I assure you, this is the best transfer of the movie you are likely to find for now...and it's Blu-ray!

As for running time, it is the most complete I have seen on any video format, at just shy of 106 minutes. I have read that it was released at 115 minutes in 1942, but Maltin's guide shows a time of 105 min. This feels complete to me, with no abrupt cuts or strangely-dropped characters and sub plots.

Next time you feel like ordering from Europe, and you, like me, have had a hankering for a good copy of this classic, jump right on it before it goes out of print!

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Can anyone compare it to the Criterion DVDs?

Without trying to post screen caps, I can say that this, partly because it is Blu-ray and better-resolved, is quite superior to the Criterion. I assume they still have the rights and could turn out a Blu, but for quite some time they have been upgrading their DVD's at a painfully slow pace. I would guess that such films as FIRES ON THE PLAIN, SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE, and DERSU UZALA would take priority in their view.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There hasn't been much discussion about the Sabu / Joseph Calleia / John Qualen film, which was produced by Alexander Korda and directed by Zoltan Korda. Perhaps this is because not many people remember this version over the numerous Disney iterations, both live-action and animated, and even 3D. Plus, there have been no official domestic Blu-rays released or announced. I sent away for countless DVD's of this from Europe and the States, hoping to find one that even came remotely close to having Technicolor look, only to find one after another of these P.D. copies with faded colors and muffled sound (the music score is by Miklos Rozsa, so one would want it to sound very good), with the sole exception of the DVD issued by Criterion some years back. This movie is apparently in the public domain, but I knew it could look great, because I spent $150.00 in 1970's dollars to buy a feature-length Super 8mm print. While two of the reels looked splendid, the other four looked like precursors to the crumby DVD's I had bought. I finally stumbled upon this Blu-ray on Amazon Germany, believing I was probably going to get just another disappointing transfer.

Wow! What a delightful surprise! Now that's what it should look like! Much of this Region B 1080p Blu-ray (AR is 1.33:1) truly has the Technicolor saturation, with a nicely rendered edition that sports a sharp image, accurate skin tones, good contrast and black levels, and visible grain. The soundtrack is German by default, but it can be switched over to English either on the fly or by using the menu. In addition, as a bonus feature, there is a full-length German animated feature that is in that language and which doesn't feature an option for English subtitles, but by now we all know the story well enough to follow it visually. As you can see from the link, it is still available...cheap! I haven't ever tried posting screen caps, but I assure you, this is the best transfer of the movie you are likely to find for now...and it's Blu-ray!

As for running time, it is the most complete I have seen on any video format, at just shy of 106 minutes. I have read that it was released at 115 minutes in 1942, but Maltin's guide shows a time of 105 min. This feels complete to me, with no abrupt cuts or strangely-dropped characters and sub plots.

Next time you feel like ordering from Europe, and you, like me, have had a hankering for a good copy of this classic, jump right on it before it goes out of print!

I appreciate this but they don't have any new sealed copies, I would pop if it was eBay but DE.Amazon I just don't feel comfortable enough...like new??

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Unless I chose a wrong option, looks like the current sellers on Amazon DE are not shipping to the States.
I've been able to order from foreign Amazon sites, but I do not think those sites allow third party sellers to ship to the U.S.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Unless I chose a wrong option, looks like the current sellers on Amazon DE are not shipping to the States.
by logging into your Amazon account you can buy a copy, but they don't seem to any new copies, only various levels of used!!

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Dieser Artikel erscheint am 12. Mai 2022.
Jetzt vorbestellen.

This title is getting a new release in May. It's available to preoder in Germany.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Criterion has a nice box set...Sabu

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Cap’n, please be wary of any title by Spanish label Resen. They’ve been uniformly pirated copies.

I was caught out a couple of times and demanded Amazon.es to refund the item, which they did; however, those titles remain for sale on their site.

I was fortunate to buy a copy of the wonderful German Blu-ray release in late 2015, as we can no longer buy from Amazon.de into Australia.

I see the once reasonable price (I bought it at 5.65 Euros) has ballooned into gouge territory. Sad to see.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Cap’n, please be wary of any title by Spanish label Resen. They’ve been uniformly pirated copies.

I was caught out a couple of times and demanded Amazon.es to refund the item, which they did; however, those titles remain for sale on their site.

I was fortunate to buy a copy of the wonderful German Blu-ray release in late 2015, as we can no longer buy from Amazon.de into Australia.

I see the once reasonable price (I bought it at 5.65 Euros) has ballooned into gouge territory. Sad to see.
Thanks Ramin, for the heads up...I seem to remember something about the Spanish BDs in the Lord Jim thread, thanks again!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks