What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The iPhone 6 and 6+ buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have no idea what you are talking about Robert, sorry. Again I think you are projecting what you want me to be saying into things that aren't there.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
/shrug, all I can tell you is that I try way more products than the average person in two areas: computing and photography, and I use what works for me and I'm not shy about sharing my findings and my preferences. The 'danger' in sharing your opinion is that it opens you up to constant second guessing and I'm at peace with that. I find it laughable that some want to call it blind allegiance to any company but it is what it is. I use what works for me and am always keeping an eye open for what's next.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
RobertR said:
Exactly right. :) They're years late, but Android phones managed to show Apple the way LOL
RobertR said:
I agree. Once you own a phone with a 5 inch + screen for awhile, psychologically it "shrinks", so that it doesn't seem big at all, and a 4 inch so-called "standard" screen (standard? what "standard"? According to whom?) or less screen seems pathetically dinky. It is funny how Apple has decided that 4 inches is no longer "ideal"
Alf S said:
As stated by some here already.It's going to be so amusing to see all the "anti-big phone" iPhone fanbois and girls do an about face and suddenly LOVE having a bigger phone. I'm sure they will say that "Apple did it better this time than any other phone maker" so that's why they didn't venture over to the "dark side" of Android who pretty much pioneered the larger and more useful screens. :)
Bascially, yes. I agree. Apple responds to market realities. People are buying larger phones to the exclusion of smaller phones. And Apple is making bigger phones to remain competitive.So let's get all our "neener-neeners" and Nelson Munch "Ha-has!" out of our system....So it turns out, Apple doesn't normally lead the industry with new concepts. Mac? Not the first personal computer. iPod? Not the first MP3 player. iPhone? Not the first smartphone. iPad? Not the first tablet. Apple watch? Not the first computer watch.Apple refines (sometimes very successfully) established products. They didn't introduce super-high resolution screens on smartphones. They were a good year behind. Before the iPhone 4 launched, I worried Apple wouldn't catchup with the Android phones with 200ppi screens. It would have been a tough choice between the iPhone with low res screen and an Android with gorgeous screen. Apple refined, and was the first (I believe) with 300ppi screens on their devices, while still having essentially a unified screen for developers to more easily target. Not the first, but when they catch up, they catch up.So neener neener to Apple for copying Android on big phones. But they're here. They're caught up. Android has two strong benefits over Apple: big screens and customizability. Sorry, had two. Android has one strong benefit over Apple: customizability. And in a month, that gets reduced -- maybe eliminated for many users -- with iOS 8 and extensions. Yep, Ha-ha to Apple for finally catching up on Swype and custom keyboards. But next month, they're caught up.What now for Android? What's it do next for Apple to copy?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I"ll answer my own question. That's allowed, right? :)One answer is that Android's selling point is they're now the innovation leader. Android phones are the first to market with the great features that Apple will copy...eventually. If you want to live in the future, buy Android. Otherwise, buy outdated-at-launch iPhones.I don't share this view. But it's what comes to mind.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
DaveF said:
One answer is that Android's selling point is they're now the innovation leader. Android phones are the first to market with the great features that Apple will copy...eventually. If you want to live in the future, buy Android. Otherwise, buy outdated-at-launch iPhones.
I actually think the most effective ads touting market innovation in comparison with Apple right now are the Windows Phone ads touting Cortana and the Amazon ads comparing Kindles and iPads. I'm not sure how good Cortana actually is, but Microsoft's criticism of Siri and Amazon of Apple's poorly polarized screens are spot on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I use Siri some for simple tasks, but I struggle to remember the syntax. It's a bit fussy. I haven't used Google Voice or Cortana. What I've read about GV is impressive, though I don't think it would solve my specific problems. Cortana, from what I've read, sounds like my personal style with the personalized "profile" to guide it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Bascially, yes. I agree. Apple responds to market realities. People are buying larger phones to the exclusion of smaller phones. And Apple is making bigger phones to remain competitive.So let's get all our "neener-neeners" and Nelson Munch "Ha-has!" out of our system....So it turns out, Apple doesn't normally lead the industry with new concepts. Mac? Not the first personal computer. iPod? Not the first MP3 player. iPhone? Not the first smartphone. iPad? Not the first tablet. Apple watch? Not the first computer watch.Apple refines (sometimes very successfully) established products. They didn't introduce super-high resolution screens on smartphones. They were a good year behind. Before the iPhone 4 launched, I worried Apple wouldn't catchup with the Android phones with 200ppi screens. It would have been a tough choice between the iPhone with low res screen and an Android with gorgeous screen. Apple refined, and was the first (I believe) with 300ppi screens on their devices, while still having essentially a unified screen for developers to more easily target. Not the first, but when they catch up, they catch up.So neener neener to Apple for copying Android on big phones.
Just to be clear, the neener neener comments were prompted by previous comments from iPhone advocates along the lines of "oh, Apple would never do anything as gauche as imitating an android feature. They are leaders. They dictate, not follow", and "four inch plus screen size? Pshaw! It has been decreed that four inches (or less!) is ideal, and anything more than that is little more than an appeal to the 'lizard brain'". It is unacceptable ". Unless, obviously, Apple changes their mind. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got my case today. It's very thin. Tried using it as a template and definitely no using the device one handed, as expected, and it didn't feel too cramped in my work pants but those have pretty big pockets.Daily reminder that Verizon and their @#%@#^@ web ordering system can die in a fire.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If like me you are concenred about the 6+'s size, make sure you read Gruber's take:
After spending a week with both phones, I think my concerns above were premature. When people see the iPhone 6 Plus in the flesh, their opinions are polarized. Either “Wow, that’s huge. I would never want a phone that big,” or, “Wow, that’s huge. I can’t wait to get one of those.”
How Big Is Too Big?

The most important question regarding both of the new iPhones is the same: Is it too big? If you want a ginormous iPhone, one that’s almost as much “iPad Nano” as it is iPhone Plus, I don’t think the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus is too big. My guess is that it’s just right — but I really do just have to guess, because this device class is not for me.

The more pressing question for me is whether the iPhone 6, at 4.7 inches, is too big to serve as the standard-sized iPhone. “Too big” mainly pertains to two separate issues: one-handed usage and pocketability.

One-handed usage has been the rallying cry for me, and other fans of smaller phones, for years. So centered on it was I that it almost wholly informed my (clearly wrong) prediction that Apple would never make an iPhone bigger than 5 inches. But here’s the thing: one-handed usage isn’t everything. I needed to remind myself what I so often remind others: design is about trade-offs. No doubt about it, one-handed usability suffers greatly on the iPhone 6 compared to the iPhone 5 series — and the 4.0-inch iPhone 5 displays are themselves less one-hand-able than the classic 3.5-inch iPhone displays.

But there are advantages to the larger display of the iPhone 6. I find myself typing much faster and more accurately. That’s a function of physical size, not any improvements to the keyboard in iOS 8, because I’ve been testing iOS 8 on my iPhone 5 all summer long.
In short: the increased size of the iPhone 6 makes it worse when using it one-handed. But it makes it better when using it two-handed.

For people with anything smaller than extra-large hands, the iPhone 6 Plus is only usable two-handed.
Reachability — the new feature that pans the whole screen down to better enable you to reach buttons at the top of the display — is pretty clever. It’s a one-handed shortcut, not a mode, and that makes a big difference. When the screen pans down, it only stays down there for one tap. Reachability might make it possible to do everything you want while holding the 6 Plus one-handed, but it’s nothing at all like using a 3.5- or 4.0-inch iPhone in one hand. (Clever detail: Reachability on the 6 Plus moves things further down the display, percentage-wise, than it does on the 6 — it’s all about moving the top of the display to a typical thumb’s length from the bottom of the device.)

Pocketability is going to vary based on your pants and pockets. (I’ve been wearing Levi’s jeans every day I’ve been using both phones.) With the regular iPhone 6, I haven’t had any problems. The fact that it’s so much thinner than the iPhone 5/5S, and now has curved sides, makes it easy to slide into a pocket. The overall volume of the device just doesn’t feel that much bigger in hand or pocket.

The iPhone 6 Plus, however, makes itself felt in your pants pocket. It is pocketable, at least for me, and I wouldn’t call it uncomfortable. But when I switched back and forth between different phones this week, I’d never forget when the iPhone 6 Plus was in my pocket. (I would sometimes forget whether I had my 5S or the regular 6 in my pocket.) For security purposes I don’t think Apple Stores (or carrier stores) let people try putting display models in their pockets, but in the case of the iPhone 6 Plus, maybe they should. It’s going to be an issue for some.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I do wonder how Android phones will evolve distinguish themselves other than size now, and I find it absolutely puzzling that more aren't working on specific things like ergonomics, build quality / style and streamlined user experience over cheap gizmos.
Sorry I am late with a reply, but I HAD to address this....

HUH?!

Apple has been copying Android for years.

On the software side, Android has been miles ahead of Apple. My God, I never knew
how much I enjoyed playing with my phone until I went with Android. You can customize
it to your heart's content....add widgets, fill your lockscreen with valuable information.

On the hardware side, their phones allow you to change out the battery, use a built-in
stylus to take hand-written notes, and even add additional storage via a micro SD card.

Do you know how damn difficult it is for me to be giving up my Android phone for an
Apple phone that cannot match it?

I am going back to a closed operating system whose only hope of customizing the way
I want is through jailbreaking -- if we are lucky enough one happens for iOS8.

Apple makes gorgeous phones with quality builds that work seamlessly with OS X -- I
will give them that much. However, they still are falling sorely behind Android. Apple
just introduced an iPhone 6 Plus with the same specs as a 2012 Android phone.

Kind of insane that someone would ask how Android plans to distinguish themselves.
They have been. Apple has been continually trying to "catch up" because of this supposed
company philosophy of how they are supposed to design their product. Well, they finally
caved in on the larger screen -- didn't they -- and some of us on this forum swore up and
down it would never happen. Truth is, Apple just took a hunk of business away from Samsung
and that is what they needed to do.

Really, if not for the upcoming iWatch, you wouldn't see me with a new iPhone in my hand.

I switched for the watch -- not for the phone or the experience it offers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just had a laugh...

These reviewers are really gloating over Apple's QuickType keyboard
in iOS8.

Samsung had that in their phones years ago. Apple catching up again.

Great thing is, Apple is allowing third-party developers to create keyboards
for the phone.

I HIGHLY suggest you watch for SwiftKey. It is the biggest, most popular
app on Android and it's AMAZING. I am sure Apple's QuickType comes close,
but I have a feeling SwiftKey will do better.

Basically, SwiftKey is the same thing as QuickType, but if they follow suit with
what they have done on Android, there will be all kinds of cool keyboard customizations
that you will be able to do.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You misunderstand, I'm asking about how the Android handset makers will differentiate amongst themselves as much as they do from Apple. So far the big ones have been on price, build quality/materials and size. Customizability is built into the OS at this point and from what I've seen vendor mandated skins have been pretty much deep sixed, so those are a bust. Now screen size choices are available in both camps, so if your entire need was a bigger phone that's a flat playing field. If you aren't Samsung or Google themselves what is your differentiation strategy other than price at this point?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, I've used Swiftkey and its competitors on my Android tablets. It's neat but not life changing for me. I'm sure I will try quite a few on the new iPhone and see what makes the most sense for me.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've always been a stock keyboard guy. I tried all these "oh this is AWESOME!" keyboards you always read about, but in the end, I hate "swiping" on a keyboard, heck I rarely even use the keyboard, and when I do, I find zero issues typing in what I need with ease.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You misunderstand, I'm asking about how the Android handset makers will differentiate amongst themselves as much as they do from Apple.
If I misunderstood, I apologize.

However -- and maybe it's me -- I seem to be understanding your question in the same
manner as before.

Hardware wise there are still differences. Apple has the better build quality. Samsung (and
other Android makers) offer swappable battery, adding storage, S-Pen.

Those are HUGE factors that Apple has alienated and will continue to do so.

Everything else is software related as I mentioned in my original reply. There is a world
of difference in freedom when it comes to using Apple vs. Android software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks