What's new

The iPhone 6 and 6+ buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
RobertR said:
As I predicted, those who proclaimed their opposition to 5+ inch screen sizes changed their minds when the Apple name was put on one. They're just now learning what Android owners have known for years. :P

Yeah that was pretty much a given. I'd say 99.9999% of the true Apple diehards that I've been around(both in person and online) for YEARS would proclaim that there was no WAY they would EVER want something bigger than what the iPhone offer. It was the "perfect" size. And they would battle with people all the time saying all other phone out there were unmanageable and to big to use or fit in a pocket.

Now, put an Apple logo on a phablet sized phone and they are getting up at 2am to order one!! LOL!!

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
ManW_TheUncool said:
So will there not be non-contract pricing? I was thinking of going for T-Mo iPhone6 for my mother and maybe my teenage kids and not do any (extra) data plans -- not sure of going on contract will offer same flexibility in testing the waters w/ T-Mo (as we've long been Verizon-only, except my son has a Samsung S4 on my brother's T-Mo plan).

_Man_
Apple Web site says contract free (from T-Mobile) 749, 849, 949 for the 6+ -- 100 less for the 6

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Ronald Epstein said:
Please excuse the fact that I am including all the Samsung hate ads below.
I feel that I still need to defend that platform and hope Apple continues to
catch up (in some respects)...
These kind of ads seem pointless to me. If you have a great product, show it. If you product isn't so great, try to make your competitors seem worse.

It is your board Ron and I respect your right to do with it what you will, but this stuff seems inappropriate for this thread. Just my 2 cents.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keith,

You know what? You are right.

I will move that post to its own thread.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
Yeah that was pretty much a given. I'd say 99.9999% of the true Apple diehards that I've been around(both in person and online) for YEARS would proclaim that there was no WAY they would EVER want something bigger than what the iPhone offer. It was the "perfect" size. And they would battle with people all the time saying all other phone out there were unmanageable and to big to use or fit in a pocket.

Now, put an Apple logo on a phablet sized phone and they are getting up at 2am to order one!! LOL!!
Exactly right. :) They're years late, but Android phones managed to show Apple the way LOL

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Sam Posten said:
If there was a standard sized iPhone with the new camera and OIS in it i'd be in for that personally. YMMV.
Yup. Same here. If there were a 4" iPhone 6 I'd be getting that. If when the 6s or 7 or whatever is released next year also introduces an iPhone mini, but (and this is the critical part) with all of the other bells and whistles, I will move from 4.7" back to 4" in a heartbeat.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
I am going to continue to say this over and over....

For those of you who thought Samsung made phones that were
too big and a 5.5" would be ridiculously large...

...You will be proved wrong.

For the first few minutes you hold the new iPhone 6 Plus in your
hand, you will be baffled by its larger footprint.

Within an hour, I promise, you will wonder why Apple didn't do this
sooner and why the hell you had to deal with a tinkertoy phone for
all these years prior.

It will not feel oversized. It does fit in your jeans pocket.

You will be reading websites like you never have before. If you have
an iPad, you'll be surprised how much more you use your iPhone Plus
instead of your iPad. It's that good.
I hope that is the case for me. I've experimented with some of my friends' phones and web browsing is so much better. I just hope it is not a pain to hold for longer calls. How much do you think the increased weight will impact things? The 5s is very light and the 6 Plus is significantly heavier.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Ronald Epstein said:
I am going to continue to say this over and over....

For those of you who thought Samsung made phones that were
too big and a 5.5" would be ridiculously large...

You will be reading websites like you never have before. If you have
an iPad, you'll be surprised how much more you use your iPhone Plus
instead of your iPad. It's that good.
The thing is, we all use these devices differently. I have an iPad air which I use for reading (iBooks, Kindle, web browsing and dedicated news apps like the NY Times). I would never do any of these things on the iPhone.

I use my iPhone primarily for phone calls, listening to music, fitness tracking, using twitter, and the camera app and mobile payments at Starbucks. I hope Apple Pay really takes off and I can use it as a mobile payment device more frequently. I get too much e-mail for either device to be useful there. I still rely on my Mac for that, but sometimes it's nice to be able to quickly scan a list of new messages for important issues that I need to tend to.

The larger point is that the phone is much more of a mobile device, things I need to do on the go. The iPad, and the things I do on it—like web surfing—I seldom do when out and about. I can't see a scenario where a larger device would be an improvement here.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who have preordered in the the past, is going through Apple better than Verizon?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Don't know how to format thus to look right but anyway.AT&T Next pricing allows one to buy the phone without the "down payment".Anyone have experience with this pricing format.We've been on AT&T for five years or so but haven't used this Next business yet since we are still on an older contract that has now expired.AT&T Pricing details:AT&T NextSM12 months AT&T NextSM18 monthsiPhone 616 GB $32.50 $27.09 $199.99iPhone 664 GB $37.50 $31.25 $299.99iPhone 6128 GB $42.50 $35.42 $399.99iPhone 6 Plus16 GB $37.50 $31.25 $299.99iPhone 6 Plus64 GB $42.50 $35.42 $399.99iPhone 6 Plus128 GB $47.50 $39.59 $499.99

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For me phones are for calls, texts and camera. iPad for everything else. You put this camera in an iPad and I could go back to a flip phone. :) again, ymmv and we'll see after a month of actual ownership if that changes for me.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have a Nook HD+ that I thought I'd use for surfing etc, but I rarely use it. I use my phone (5.2" G2) for everything now. Surfing, emails, reading/writing on the HTF app etc. I would NEVER try to surf on the 4S (or earlier) iPhones that I used to own. It's WAY WAY too small of a screen. Once you hit that 5"+ size screen, the user experience becomes much more pleasant overall.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
I would NEVER try to surf on the 4S (or earlier) iPhones that I used to own. It's WAY WAY too small of a screen. Once you hit that 5"+ size screen, the user experience becomes much more pleasant overall.
I agree. Once you own a phone with a 5 inch + screen for awhile, psychologically it "shrinks", so that it doesn't seem big at all, and a 4 inch so-called "standard" screen (standard? what "standard"? According to whom?) or less screen seems pathetically dinky. It is funny how Apple has decided that 4 inches is no longer "ideal":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
As stated by some here already.

It's going to be so amusing to see all the "anti-big phone" iPhone fanbois and girls do an about face and suddenly LOVE having a bigger phone. I'm sure they will say that "Apple did it better this time than any other phone maker" so that's why they didn't venture over to the "dark side" of Android who pretty much pioneered the larger and more useful screens. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
As stated by some here already.

It's going to be so amusing to see all the "anti-big phone" iPhone fanbois and girls do an about face and suddenly LOVE having a bigger phone. I'm sure they will say that "Apple did it better this time than any other phone maker" so that's why they didn't venture over to the "dark side" of Android who pretty much pioneered the larger and more useful screens. :)
What's funny about that is, when you compare these two pictures, it's apparent that one of them did a better job of packing a larger screen onto a body that's actually smaller lengthwise:

apple-iphone-6-plus-1.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-4-01.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Alf S said:
As stated by some here already. It's going to be so amusing to see all the "anti-big phone" iPhone fanbois and girls do an about face and suddenly LOVE having a bigger phone. I'm sure they will say that "Apple did it better this time than any other phone maker" so that's why they didn't venture over to the "dark side" of Android who pretty much pioneered the larger and more useful screens. :)
I don't find any of that stuff amusing. I find it petty and childish on both sides. Anyway one thing I've noticed while looking at the 6+ compared to the Note and my old gs3 is the 6+ still isn't much wider then the gs3.Taller for sure but not wider by much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks