What's new

The iPhone 6 and 6+ buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
"The iPhone 6 and 6+ buyers and owners thread"

Just thought it could use a reminder, the point of this thread seems unclear to some. :D

-Keith

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well since no one has bought or owned one yet there is going to be comparison discussion.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alf S said:
As stated by some here already.

It's going to be so amusing to see all the "anti-big phone" iPhone fanbois and girls do an about face and suddenly LOVE having a bigger phone. I'm sure they will say that "Apple did it better this time than any other phone maker" so that's why they didn't venture over to the "dark side" of Android who pretty much pioneered the larger and more useful screens. :)
Alf,

People have no idea how much better the iPhone 6 Plus is going to be.

You are absolutely correct in saying that iPhone users are going to do an
about face on the larger screen debate.

I am waiting to see what Sam Posten thinks about the larger screen.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Trust me, you folks will LOVE the bigger screen. Any complaints folks have will subside in no time. You all will finally see the light once you get one in your hands to use day to day.

Like mentioned around here earlier, you will soon think your now "big" phone is getting kind of small over time. LOL

I know mine seems smaller, until I have it side by side with moms 4S. Now THAT is a tiny phone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron, how much better then what? Previous iPhones or any 5"+ phone?

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Well as one of the naysayers (who admittedly ordered a 4.7" iPhone 6) I will soon learn for myself whether 4.7 is too big.

But advocates of large screens, how often do you use your phones with one hand? For my purposes simply adapting to 2-handed use is not a practical solution. And, frankly, this hands-on report from Ars Technica has me nervous:
We’ll need to spend more time with it, but Reachability feels like a compromise right out of the gate. It’s a necessary concession to reality—iOS relies overwhelmingly on navigation buttons kept in the upper-left and upper-right corners of the screen. These were reachable with one hand on 3.5- and 4-inch screens. They are emphatically not reachable on either iPhone 6.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Tim Gerdes said:
Well as one of the naysayers (who admittedly ordered a 4.7" iPhone 6) I will soon learn for myself whether 4.7 is too big.

But advocates of large screens, how often do you use your phones with one hand?
All the time. I simply have no problem reaching the corners of my 5 inch S4. It also helps that I place everything within easy reach. Based on your quote, perhaps Apple needs to rethink IOS, rather than sticking with an older concept.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I don't expect to upgrade anytime soon for myself (from company provided iPhone5c), but I sure hope Apple is making it easier for their iPhone6 customers to browse the web w/ the desktop version of sites (via mobile Safari) rather than mobile version. :P

I know the 4" screen on the iPhone5 is really too small for much web browsing, but still, sometimes, I'd like to be able to (easily) override its default to mobile sites... :rolleyes:

I guess I'll ask the wife if she wants to switch from her Note2 to iPhone6+ when she can do the upgrade w/ Verizon a few months from now...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tim Gerdes said:

But advocates of large screens, how often do you use your phones with one hand? For my purposes simply adapting to 2-handed use is not a practical solution. And, frankly, this hands-on report from Ars Technica has me nervous:
But what did you actually do one-handed w/ your iPhone5?

Surely, typing anything on it whether single-handed or two-handed wasn't one bit easy. I still find typing on my iPhone5c deplorable, especially since I can't even install a better keyboard app on there.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My G2 offer the "one handed operation" feature to allow the dialpad/keyboard etc to be shifted to one side of the phone or the other.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Surely, typing anything on it whether single-handed or two-handed wasn't one bit easy. I still find typing on my iPhone5c deplorable, especially since I can't even install a better keyboard app on there.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
ManW_TheUncool said:
But what did you actually do one-handed w/ your iPhone5?

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
RobertR said:
All the time. I simply have no problem reaching the corners of my 5 inch S4. It also helps that I place everything within easy reach. Based on your quote, perhaps Apple needs to rethink IOS, rather than sticking with an older concept.
YMMV, but one hallmark of Apple design has been simplicity (single button mice, a single home button, etc.). Rethinking the OS to accommodate navigational is adding complexity, which to my mind only compounds the problem.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Tim Gerdes said:
YMMV, but one hallmark of Apple design has been simplicity (single button mice, a single home button, etc.). Rethinking the OS to accommodate navigational is adding complexity, which to my mind only compounds the problem.
Based on your quote, that would mean Apple is facing something of a dilemma then, given the new reality of larger screens that the company's finally acknowledged.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
RobertR said:
Based on your quote, that would mean Apple is facing something of a dilemma then, given the new reality of larger screens that the company's finally acknowledged.
Absolutely they are. And I think Apple focused observers (e.g. Daring Fireball) have acknowledged this.

I'm not generally one of those who looks at Apple through the "What Would Steve Do?" lens, and I think it's foolhardy to deify the contributions or influences of one person. But one of the things I most admired about Steve was his frequent refusal to simply give people what they wanted. People needed floppy discs but he removed them, later it was optical drives. In some ways funtion followed form, but to the end goal of simplicity. I've always been an Apple guy because I liked machines that just worked. I tend not to customize my interface, have never jailbroken my iOS devices. I like that the ecosystem works because Apple controls all aspects of it. My 70 year old mother (who has never grasped computers) and my toddler children can all operate their iOS devices with ease.

I will absolutely concede that the added complexity required to placate a market hungry for larger devices is a dilemma for Apple. It will be interesting to see them adapt, but I am not necessarily looking forward to that process. In a perfect world, I'd rather they remain focused on a dictated simplicity rather than attempting to answer to the needs of the market. It's taken them this far.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Tim Gerdes said:
Absolutely they are. And I think Apple focused observers (e.g. Daring Fireball) have acknowledged this.
Acknowledging reality is sometimes difficult.
I'm not generally one of those who looks at Apple through the "What Would Steve Do?" lens, and I think it's foolhardy to deify the contributions or influences of one person. But one of the things I most admired about Steve was his frequent refusal to simply give people what they wanted.
Conversely, that's one of the things I intensely disliked about him, and why I abandoned the company's products after the Apple II era. Being dictated to by a company doesn't sit well with me.
I've always been an Apple guy because I liked machines that just worked. I tend not to customize my interface, have never jailbroken my iOS devices. I like that the ecosystem works because Apple controls all aspects of it. My 70 year old mother (who has never grasped computers) and my toddler children can all operate their iOS devices with ease.
Again, I'm the converse. I love the way Android works, because I can make it look and behave the way *I* want it to. And it works very very well.
I will absolutely concede that the added complexity required to placate a market hungry for larger devices is a dilemma for Apple. It will be interesting to see them adapt, but I am not necessarily looking forward to that process.
All of us have faced changes we don't like at some point in our lives. I predict the opposition won't last long, though. :)
In a perfect world, I'd rather they remain focused on a dictated simplicity rather than attempting to answer to the needs of the market. It's taken them this far.
Jobs is dead. On with the future, I say.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ManW_TheUncool said:
But what did you actually do one-handed w/ your iPhone5?Surely, typing anything on it whether single-handed or two-handed wasn't one bit easy. I still find typing on my iPhone5c deplorable, especially since I can't even install a better keyboard app on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks