What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Yeah, I can't wait for the final seasons to finally be released to DVD!! :thumbs-up-smiley: But, then I'll be somewhat sad because there will be no more releases to look forward to. :P

I don't know if they will ever do a "Complete Series" set or not...that would be a huge set! ;) I just wish they'd start releasing the TV movies to DVD...say 3 movies a set. But, that's probably just wishful thinking. :)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
HunterMan said:
Yeah, I can't wait for the final seasons to finally be released to DVD!! :thumbs-up-smiley: But, then I'll be somewhat sad because there will be no more releases to look forward to. :P

I don't know if they will ever do a "Complete Series" set or not...that would be a huge set! ;) I just wish they'd start releasing the TV movies to DVD...say 3 movies a set. But, that's probably just wishful thinking. :)
They could put 2 movies on each DVD so they could burn through them very quickly.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Greg Chenoweth said:
They could put 2 movies on each DVD so they could burn through them very quickly.
The Columbo method of two multi-disc sets with two movies per disc sounds good.

85-89 would be 12 movies on 6 discs, 90-93 would be 14 movies on 7 discs.

/not counting the 4 Perry Mason Mysteries filmed after Raymond Burr's death, of course.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Matt Hough said:
I would still love to see the Monte Markham remake series issued.
Greg Chenoweth said:
I wouldn't care how any movies they'd put on a disc...just so they released them to DVD! :lol: I too would like to sometime see the Monte Markham series...just to see the differences. But, Raymond Burr will always be Perry Mason!! :thumbsup:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
The Obsolete Man said:
The Columbo method of two multi-disc sets with two movies per disc sounds good.

85-89 would be 12 movies on 6 discs, 90-93 would be 14 movies on 7 discs.

/not counting the 4 Perry Mason Mysteries filmed after Raymond Burr's death, of course.
Yeah, that would work too. However, with huge sets like that, the prices of them would be pretty high. ;) Also, even though of course they're no where near as good as all the Raymond Burr ones...I would still want the last four movies made after his death, with Paul Sorvino and Hal Holbrook. Even though the "Burr magic" was gone...they still had Della and Ken. I would want the complete TV Movie series. :thumbsup:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Darby67 said:
Street date for Perry Mason Season 9 Volume 2 is August 13th: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Season-9-Volume-2/18450

Darby
Saw that today...really glad and it it's a mixture of relief but sadness too. I remember when CBS first started releasing the show...and in separate volumes for each season no less. :huh: That was to see if there really was a market for this show on DVD. I was fearful then, that there would only be a few volume releases and then the show would fade out. :unsure:

But, CBS stayed faithful to the show, and come to find out there really was a market for it...and we're finally going to see the last season/volume! :thumbs-up-smiley: They also did not think they would start releasing the original "Hawaii Five-0" to DVD...as there were so many seasons (although other studios had released "The Waltons" and "Little House On the Prairie" which had tons of seasons too)...but again CBS did eventually release that show too--and finally finished all 12 seasons this past year! :banana:

But, I'm also somewhat saddened by the final releases of "Perry" and "5-0"...as now I no longer have anymore seasons to look forward to! :( But, I can always start over with each show. ;) Now, as I've stated before, I hope maybe CBS or whoever owns the rights to the "Perry Mason" TV Movies can start releasing them to DVD. :thumbsup:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
HunterMan said:
Now, as I've stated before, I hope maybe CBS or whoever owns the rights to the "Perry Mason" TV Movies can start releasing them to DVD. :thumbsup:
I think they do because the first one PERRY MASON RETURNS was included on the 50th ANNIVERSARY DVD set that came out about 5 years ago. I'm sure we'll start to see these released as well.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
CBS definitely could release the Perry Mason TV movies (they almost did so several years ago but pulled it off the schedule) if they wanted to. Perhaps they will now that the original series is finishing up.

This is an all-time classic for me so like others I'm both happy and sad to see it finishing up. I know my good buddy Steve O. is probably feeling the same way, but the great thing here is that we got all the season sets with relatively few hiccups. The most important point being that they were all remastered (maybe one or two didn't look as good as we thought they would/should, but overall the series was treated well). I only wish the same could be said for Rawhide, which CBS didn't treat so well by reverting back to an non-remastered S4 after remastering S2 & S3. Very strange. But at least with Perry Mason we got the entire run clean. I'm very happy!

Gary "long live Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg and Mr. Burger" O.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I want to give a plug for the 50th anniversary DVD set. Yes, there are twelve episodes on the set that by the end of August will all be duplicated on the season sets. However, the bonus disc is worth the money for the set. It not only includes the first reunion film PERRY MASON RETURNS but it also has screen tests for Raymond Burr and William Hopper. It also has the William Talman smoking PSA and other appearances by the cast on various other TV shows. It also has intros on the PERRY MASON episodes by Barbara Hale. There is also an interview with Barbara as well as Arthur Marks. Amazon.com has it on sale for $18.04!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
I want to give a plug for the 50th anniversary DVD set. Yes, there are twelve episodes on the set that by the end of August will all be duplicated on the season sets. However, the bonus disc is worth the money for the set. It not only includes the first reunion film PERRY MASON RETURNS but it also has screen tests for Raymond Burr and William Hopper. It also has the William Talman smoking PSA and other appearances by the cast on various other TV shows. It also has intros on the PERRY MASON episodes by Barbara Hale. There is also an interview with Barbara as well as Arthur Marks. Amazon.com has it on sale for $18.04!
Barbara's reminiscences with her little toast to Raymond are worth the price of the disc alone.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Rob_Ray said:
Barbara's reminiscences with her little toast to Raymond are worth the price of the disc alone.
Could not have said it better! :thumbsup: I love that set and even though all the episodes included are now in the season volume sets too...the special features are superb--especially the first reunion movie "Perry Mason Returns"! However, I remember when that set came out and found it odd that it was not released until sometime in 2008...when technically the 50th anniversary of the show was the year before--2007 (1957-2007). But, no matter as I love that set and enjoy viewing the special features and intros before the episodes. :biggrin:

I never knew that they almost did start releasing the "PM" TV movies before? :eek: Why did they pull it from the schedule...did they want to finish the original series first or something? I really hope they will return to the idea and start releasing them...again like I've stated before with 2 or 3 movies a set. But, as always time will tell. ;)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
To echo what Gary said, CBS/P did a marvelous job with the PM releases. The only hiccups I can recall is one episode (Fancy Figures) that had 72 seconds missing and other one in a later season that had the wrong credits appended to the end. Not bad for 271 episodes (assuming that S9 goes well). There was one packaging error where S8 replicated S7's liner notes.

If they were to release a complete series set (I doubt they will due to the size) the only things they could improve on besides the above would be to make the earlier seasons progressive instead of interlaced and add English subtitles as well. I'm a happy camper as it is.

If the TV movies come out I will buy them, but it is the classic series I will watch over and over. The "modern" movies seem much more dated than the series.

Very odd and unfortunate that Rawhide and Have Gun had unremastered seasons released. I hope fans of those shows get that situation remedied.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Hawaii Five-O had one season released that wasn't remastered either, season 10. They later released Season 10 on Amazon online remastered, but never fixed this on DVD. Perhaps when they do the complete series set someday?

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Yeah, I'm happy as it is too...I think for the age of the original series the quality of the DVD set episodes is pretty awesome! I doubt they'll ever release a "complete series" set either...but you never know? ;) I love both the original and the TV Movie series...but I agree that the original series is truly classic. Oddly enough some things from the 70's and 80's seem more "dated" than stuff from the 50's and 60's? But, I still love the TV movies and the updated suspense and plot twists. I truly hope they start releasing them to DVD too! :thumbs-up-smiley:

I didn't realize that season 10 of "Hawaii Five-0" was not remastered...I have all 12 seasons, but it's been a while since I've watched the show. But, remastered or not, I still am overjoyed that all 12 seasons saw a DVD release...as all 9 seasons of "Perry". :rock:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I am excited. DVD Empire e-mailed me today to let me know that my PERRY MASON SEASON 9 VOLUME 1 DVD set has shipped! I can't wait.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Congrats, Greg! Still waiting for my Amazon order to ship the two copies I ordered (I've ordered two of every release; one to keep and one to gift).....it's gratifying to know that after 7 years of waiting, the end is almost in sight :) Thanks, CBS/P for bringing this to conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks