What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
One thing is for sure - we'll never see "The New Perry Mason" with Monte Markham. It was produced by Fox, and we all know how much they love releasing old shows.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Statskeeper
One thing is for sure - we'll never see "The New Perry Mason" with Monte Markham. It was produced by Fox, and we all know how much they love releasing old shows.
I had NO idea it was a Fox-produced show. I did watch it during its original run and always felt it lacked something. But I'd still like to see it again.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I like and own all 8 seasons released of the series to date. I feel the first five are the best and that the show exhibited increasing wear and tear as the next 4 years went by. I like all of them more than the movies. That's my take on it.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
stevelecher said:
I like and own all 8 seasons released of the series to date. I feel the first five are the best and that the show exhibited increasing wear and tear as the next 4 years went by. I like all of them more than the movies. That's my take on it.
I have all 8 seasons released of the series to date, too. I also have an old "bootleg" DVD set of the entire series I'd gotten several years ago...before they started releasing them officially. Some of those episodes are very old syndicaton ones but they're still watchable none-the-less. So, for now I have to refer to that for season 9. However, I'm fairly positive sometime this year yet we'll see season 9 officially released to DVD to complete the series. I also have a "bootleg" set of all 30 TV Movies on DVD I got a couple years ago. I also have several of the original airings of the movies, taped on VHS tapes. :laugh: But, I rarely watch those anymore. I just like having original airings. I actually like the first 6 seasons of the series the best...I like seasons 7-9 too, but I agree they're not quite as good as the beginning of the show, and started to slowly lose their captivation. I like the TV Movies too...the first ones with Paul, Jr being the best. I like the ones with Ken too, but Paul was better. I do not like the ones made after Raymond Burr's death...with "supposed" friends of Perry defending the accused. I understand they were trying to fulfill a contract through 1995...to make it a 10 year thing as originally agreed. Barbara Hale and William R. Moses did superbly for what they were given, but without Burr the "magic" was gone. There are episodes and TV Movies I like better than others, but again overall I love it all. :)
Statskeeper said:
Yeah, I've heard about that attempt of a re-do back in like 1972, I think...with Monte Markham and Sharon Acker. Did not know it was a FOX produced show?? It only lasted one season before being cancelled...so I doubt it'll ever get released to DVD. But, I think I've seen "bootleg" DVD's of it online somewhere. I didn't realize FOX was bad with releasing older shows...but I know Sony is terrible about it! :f They either refuse to release several of their popular older shows...or they'll start releasing them (with one or two seasons) and then suddenly they "drop" those shows..never continuing with anymore seasons. :rolleyes:

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Berkshires said:
You should watch them some time.
Ouch. Well done sir. I will be revisiting Double Entry Mind this weekend. I'm in the middle of S7 and there are a number of good episodes.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Berkshires said:
You should watch them some time.
I have the whole series, and TV Movie series. I've seen everything more than once...and the last time was less than a year ago. Have you ever seen any of it? :P You can be nasty if you want...but I'll only laugh :laugh: and then respond in silly or sarcastic comments. ;) Just because I disagree with someone/s doesn't mean I disagreed in rude or inappropriate ways. Everyone has their own opinions...I stated mine and why I think that. I don't care if you disagree or not. I have and have seen all of "PM", and enjoy it all. :)
stevelecher said:
Ouch. Well done sir.
Naa..comments like that are only made of knives of "puddy". ;) They don't hurt...you just consider the source and/or what they were intended for, and then move on.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Nobody's trying to be mean HunterMan. Two or three of us think you're watching a different show than we are, that's all. I don't remember any of these action sequences you've talked about in generalities.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
stevelecher said:
Nobody's trying to be mean HunterMan. Two or three of us think you're watching a different show than we are, that's all. I don't remember any of these action sequences you've talked about in generalities.
'Ol Bob's comment was not exactly a respectful response, but whatever. :laugh: I get the feeling that some of what I've stated before has been purposely exagerated way beyond what it was, because a couple of you don't like the last half of the series or the TV Movies. But, I'm not going to continue to re-hash everything over and over again...I've stated what I've stated. Time to move on... ;) Speaking of--returning to an actual subject on the show and/or "PM" franchise:
Statskeeper said:
I've never seen any episodes of the attempted revival, with Monte Markham and Sharon Acker--as Perry and Della. Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale will always be those characters...but it would be interesting to see a few episodes of the 1973 version--I said 1972 in an earlier post, but I was wrong. It was on from 1973-1974. Fox may have produced it...but it aired on CBS like the first series did. So, If CBS/Paramount owns the rights to that show now too (as they seem to own everything else "Perry Mason")...then who knows? Maybe after season 9 is released, they will release that one season of the 73-74 show? Completely different series comparison...but after all the Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" seasons were released to DVD, they eventually did release the "Pilot" movie Cathy Lee Crosby did a couple years before Lynda Carter made the super hero famous. You never know?? :)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
HunterMan said:
I've never seen any episodes of the attempted revival, with Monte Markham and Sharon Acker--as Perry and Della. Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale will always be those characters...but it would be interesting to see a few episodes of the 1973 version--I said 1972 in an earlier post, but I was wrong. It was on from 1973-1974. Fox may have produced it...but it aired on CBS like the first series did. So, If CBS/Paramount owns the rights to that show now too (as they seem to own everything else "Perry Mason")...then who knows? Maybe after season 9 is released, they will release that one season of the 73-74 show? Completely different series comparison...but after all the Lynda Carter "Wonder Woman" seasons were released to DVD, they eventually did release the "Pilot" movie Cathy Lee Crosby did a couple years before Lynda Carter made the super hero famous. You never know?? :)
I vaguely remember watching a couple of episodes of the Monte Markham/Perry Mason series when it was originally on TV. I do hope that they put it out on DVD some day just for nostalgia purposes. I bought the recent Warner Archive Perry Mason movie set. I have also purchased some novels by Erle Stanley Gardner and I have enjoyed those. Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale were the best, no doubt about it, but I also enjoy the Perry Mason character and I like to see different interpretations.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I remember the Monte Markham series pretty well. I quite liked it. It was not as good as the classic series, but pretty good. It was another series of its era that I liked but didn't survive more than a season. I would not mind seeing it again.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg Chenoweth said:
I vaguely remember watching a couple of episodes of the Monte Markham/Perry Mason series when it was originally on TV. I do hope that they put it out on DVD some day just for nostalgia purposes. I bought the recent Warner Archive Perry Mason movie set. I have also purchased some novels by Erle Stanley Gardner and I have enjoyed those. Raymond Burr and Barbara Hale were the best, no doubt about it, but I also enjoy the Perry Mason character and I like to see different interpretations.
David_B_K said:
I remember the Monte Markham series pretty well. I quite liked it. It was not as good as the classic series, but pretty good. It was another series of its era that I liked but didn't survive more than a season. I would not mind seeing it again.
I have many of the original Erle Stanley Gardner Perry Mason novels too...I love reading them, and even though many were written first I always picture Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, William Hopper, William Talman, and Ray Collins. The series became so iconic, it's hard not too. :) But, I always like seeing something different...even if I don't really end up caring for it. Even though I will always love the original series with Burr and Hale...I would really like to see the one season of Monte Markham and Sharon Acker's show! For fun, I'd like to compare it and see what differences or similarities there were with the original one. Although the original series' in these examples will always be the best and most remembered...I still found it interesting to see new versions of "The Bionic Woman" (2006), "Knight Rider" (2008), and "Charlie's Angels" (2011). Maybe eventually they'll release "The New Perry Mason" to DVD...to try and continue to cash in on the "PM" franchise? I really hope they'll start to release the TV Movies too! :tu: Has anyone ever seen the first "Perry Mason" movies done in the 1930's? Actor Warren William played Perry in all of them except the last one...but they had different actresses playing Della in each one. Several years ago, when it was first thought "PM" would not be officially released to DVD, I got a "homemade" complete series set of the show on DVD...that also included several of these old 30's movies on a DVD at the end. It was interesting seeing some of them, but to be honest I found them boring and goofy. :crazy: But, that's just my opinion...just curious if anyone else had ever seen them?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One thing I remember about the Monte Markham Perry Mason was that the courtroom for the trials seemed too large and sterile (seems like it was creme colored). Maybe I was just used to the black and white look of the original series and the three rows of spectators behind the lawyers, but the court in the remake series looked nothing like the old one, and the trial scenes always seemed a little lost in the vast set they used for court. Or at least, that's my memory of it.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
HunterMan said:
Has anyone ever seen the first "Perry Mason" movies done in the 1930's? Actor Warren William played Perry in all of them except the last one...but they had different actresses playing Della in each one. Several years ago, when it was first thought "PM" would not be officially released to DVD, I got a "homemade" complete series set of the show on DVD...that also included several of these old 30's movies on a DVD at the end. It was interesting seeing some of them, but to be honest I found them boring and goofy. :crazy: But, that's just my opinion...just curious if anyone else had ever seen them?
All 6 Perry Mason movies from the 1930's with Warren William as Perry Mason (and two others that escape me) are available in one DVD box set from warnerarchive.com. I got this set at Christmas and it is very interesting but the scripts are not set in the courtroom but more Mason as a detective, even though he is a lawyer. In one of the movies Perry and Della get married. Perry's sidekick is named "Spudsy" Drake.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I've seen all the 1930s movies, and got the WA release as a Christmas present. I know "Case of the Velvet Claw" and "Case of the Black Cat" were also done on the TV show. "Velvet Claw" was on MeTV the other night - the movie featured Perry marrying Della, acting like a drunk fool to get information while the police were grilling potential suspects in the house of the victim, and "Spudsy" Drake dressed like a woman to follow a possible witness. None of this was in the TV episode (thankfully - they replaced the wedding with Della just being jealous) but the movie was better on showing how Perry solved the case.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Yeah...from what I remember of the 30's movies when I watched them the one time, they greatly strayed and differed from the original novels! Like I said before I found them goofy and strange, compared to the books and then Burr's TV series...that pretty much followed the novels. I didn't know any were available on official release DVD's...that's cool, but I doubt I'll ever pay the money to get them. I'll stick with my old "bootleg" ones. :laugh: Maybe sometime whoever owns the remake series, with Monte Markham, will release it to DVD too? I'd spend the money for the one season, just to see it and have it to add to my "PM" collection. :)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
HunterMan said:
Yeah...from what I remember of the 30's movies when I watched them the one time, they greatly strayed and differed from the original novels! Like I said before I found them goofy and strange, compared to the books and then Burr's TV series...that pretty much followed the novels. I didn't know any were available on official release DVD's...that's cool, but I doubt I'll ever pay the money to get them. I'll stick with my old "bootleg" ones. :laugh: Maybe sometime whoever owns the remake series, with Monte Markham, will release it to DVD too? I'd spend the money for the one season, just to see it and have it to add to my "PM" collection. :)
The last film on the 1930's Warner Archive Perry Mason set, THE CASE OF THE STUTTERING BISHOP, follows the Perry Mason formula very well. The rest of them have the original Gardner storylines from the novels but the characters and situations are done in a comedic slant. I had to get it just because it's PERRY MASON. If they ever put THE NEW PERRY MASON out on DVD, I'll buy it as well. However, Raymond Burr is THE BEST and I can't wait for Season 9 Volume 1 in June. I enjoy reading the novels as well. I try to find the ones that were not adapted for the TV series.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I'll bet that PM Season 9 Volume 2 will come out in the Fall along with a complete series set being offered. I have no inside information so I am just speculating. They always seem to do that these days.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Greg Chenoweth said:
I'll bet that PM Season 9 Volume 2 will come out in the Fall along with a complete series set being offered. I have no inside information so I am just speculating. They always seem to do that these days.
A very likely scenario Greg. I'm so happy with my half season sets, I can't imagine what could make me double dip for what will have to be a pretty expensive Complete Series. That's a lot of discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks