What's new

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond) (1 Viewer)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Steve O . . .Yes, it has been a long wait but at least it has been a fairly stable release schedule. When the last one ships in August, I'll feel like I've really accomplished something.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Yeah, CBS really "cleaned" the episodes up for each DVD release..compared to some of the old TBS and other cable network reruns over the years, the DVD sets are superb! :thumbsup:

I loved all 9 seasons, and each riveting episode! This is one show that I never got tired of seeing, and there's really no one and/or certain seasons that are worse than another/others. It's all awesome!

I still have yet to order my season 9 sets...but I can't wait! :banana:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I finished the first disc tonight and all four episodes were excellent. I have the day off tomorrow so I'm looking forward to Disc 2.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Well, the end has finally come. I got an e-mail from DVDEmpire.com today that my PERRY MASON SEASON 9, VOLUME 2 has shipped and it is on my way to my home. With prior released from DVDEmpire.com it should arrive in my mailbox on Monday. The last fifteen episodes are on their way. I can't wait!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Greg Chenoweth said:
Well, the end has finally come. I got an e-mail from DVDEmpire.com today that my PERRY MASON SEASON 9, VOLUME 2 has shipped and it is on my way to my home. With prior released from DVDEmpire.com it should arrive in my mailbox on Monday. The last fifteen episodes are on their way. I can't wait!
Me neither! My Amazon order should arrive Tuesday if all goes well. I can't believe that all these years later we finally get the whole series on DVD! CBS/P did a great job overall with providing complete episodes (with only 1 minor exception) in great quality.

Next year at Christmas we'll probably see a bundled "Complete Series" set like Hawaii Five-O. Who knows, if they shape the package like a courtroom which mini Mason and Burger action figures I'll spring for it all over again :)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Steve...O said:
Me neither! My Amazon order should arrive Tuesday if all goes well. I can't believe that all these years later we finally get the whole series on DVD! CBS/P did a great job overall with providing complete episodes (with only 1 minor exception) in great quality.

Next year at Christmas we'll probably see a bundled "Complete Series" set like Hawaii Five-O. Who knows, if they shape the package like a courtroom which mini Mason and Burger action figures I'll spring for it all over again :)
Yeah...I have all the original "Hawaii Five-0" season DVD sets as they were released...now they come out with a superb looking "Complete Series" set with all new special features. It would only be for the special features that I might get it anyway--however, the ultimate special feature would have been the one "lost" episode from the show's original run, that was not originally included with the individual season DVD releases. But, I don't think that's part of the new special features. :wacko:

As for "Perry Mason"...I too cannot believe the end has finally come! I remember when they first started releasing them...and I thought, well we'll see how long this lasts before they just drop the idea and leave us hanging. But, CBS/Paramount has done a superb job all the way around!! :thumbsup: I love all the DVD sets/episodes and I'm overjoyed to eventually have it all! :banana:

Now, they need to start releasing the reunion TV Movies to DVD! :biggrin:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
BONUS FEATURE ALERT! I received PERRY MASON S9, V2 today and I am enjoying it very much. They have added an introduction by Barbara Hale to the color episode THE CASE OF THE TWICE-TOLD TWIST as a bonus feature on the set. It is the same one that she recorded for the 50th Anniversary set that came out in 2008. On the back of the DVD case, it tells us about the bonus feature and it is placed right before the episode plays on Disc 2. I am enjoying this set!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I have a bad disc on SEASON 9 VOLUME 2 Disc #3 with THE CASE OF THE MISGUIDED MODEL. At the 47 m, 24 s mark, the picture freezes and then it stutters a bit and then the episode starts playing again. Has anyone else had this problem? I am contacting CBS Home Entertainment to let them know of the issue.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been informed I'm getting this final season/part2 set to review. It'll be weeks after the street date before the review goes up, but at least it'll be on the record.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Darby67 said:
Great news! CBS/Parmount is starting the release of the telefilms: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Movie-Collection-Volume-1/19106

Darby
Well, it's nice to see they're carrying on with the films.

However, six films only in one set? They could have easily pulled a Universal/Columbo and done the 12 80s films in one 6 disc set, and the 14 90s films with Raymond Burr in a 7 disc set and knocked these suckers out by mid-2014. Now, it's looking like it will be a 4 or 5 set job to get the entire movie collection released... and that's without the 4 films made after Burr died.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Darby67 said:
Great news! CBS/Parmount is starting the release of the telefilms: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Movie-Collection-Volume-1/19106

Darby
The Obsolete Man said:
Well, it's nice to see they're carrying on with the films.

However, six films only in one set? They could have easily pulled a Universal/Columbo and done the 12 80s films in one 6 disc set, and the 14 90s films with Raymond Burr in a 7 disc set and knocked these suckers out by mid-2014. Now, it's looking like it will be a 4 or 5 set job to get the entire movie collection released... and that's without the 4 films made after Burr died.
Superb news!! :cheers: I didn't know if the TV Movies would ever get an official release or not...now it looks as if they will for sure! I'm sure this Volume 1 will contain the first 6 movies. CBS/Paramount will want to cash in on these movies as much as they can (just as they did with the original series)...so it does not surprise me at all that they will break the movies up into several "volumes" as well. I don't care how they do it...just so they're all released to DVD!! :biggrin:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I'm torn on whether I will get the film series or not. I really enjoyed the original TV series and I liked watching the films but having caught them on TV in reruns I just don't think they hold up as well as the black and whites.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Also I found the movies to be very formulaic as to where the series wasn't. In almost every film, there was someone who did the killing that was hired by "the real killer" and either Paul Drake or Ken Mulasky would find the real killer through a chase scene and then get them into court at the last minute to get "the real killer" to testify. This wasn't how the original series was done and I didn't like the formula very much. It would have been a lot better to rely on the Gardner novels and do films based on those type of scripts instead of the predictable story-line.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg Chenoweth said:
I'm torn on whether I will get the film series or not. I really enjoyed the original TV series and I liked watching the films but having caught them on TV in reruns I just don't think they hold up as well as the black and whites.
Greg Chenoweth said:
Also I found the movies to be very formulaic as to where the series wasn't. In almost every film, there was someone who did the killing that was hired by "the real killer" and either Paul Drake or Ken Mulasky would find the real killer through a chase scene and then get them into court at the last minute to get "the real killer" to testify. This wasn't how the original series was done and I didn't like the formula very much. It would have been a lot better to rely on the Gardner novels and do films based on those type of scripts instead of the predictable story-line.
Well, Greg, everyone has their likes/dislikes & opinions. But, I have to disagree with you. ;) I absolutely love the original B&W series...it's a classic and I have the entire thing. But, in retrospect the original series was much more "formulaic" than the TV Movie series was! They had different characters and some different places they went...but each week it was somewhat the same thing. Now, some of the earlier seasons were based on the Gardner novels...and those are the best, in my opinion. But, later seasons they started to kind of do the same idea or thing each week...and by the last season they were actually literally re-doing some of the first season episodes under a different title and with different character names.

With the TV Movies, each movie was a totally different thing...different place, different plot/characters, you never knew what kind of suspense and/or action scenes would take place, etc... It was more updated for the time, and they were trying to appeal to all audiences--the ones who remembered the original series, and younger people who were discovering what "PM" was all about. If they had tried to do a 1980's/90's TV Movie exactly like one of the 50's/60's episodes...the movie would have flopped and that would have been the end. :wacko: Paul Drake, Jr. and Ken Malansky did more of the so-called action scenes...but they were supposed to. Paul Drake did the same thing in the original series. Sometimes the "real" killer hired out the actual assassin...other times it was the actual person themselves, and there were times when Perry and Paul or Ken would discover them together...or Perry would start figuring it out first and have Paul Jr or Ken test his theory for him. To be honest...that forumula was the same in both the series and the TV Movies...the movies were just more updated and realistic for the time.

I love BOTH series' and I'm estatic that both are now going to be released to DVD! :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Greg Chenoweth said:
The price on the movie set is steep at $53.09 (as of this writing) from Amazon.com.
Agreed - too steep for me. It's going to have to come way, way down for me to buy. Given that this is videotape, there won't look great as it is. Something like this should be about $29.99 MSRP, not $59.99 for just 6 installments.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Greg Chenoweth said:
The price on the movie set is steep at $53.09 (as of this writing) from Amazon.com.
Steve...O said:
Agreed - too steep for me. It's going to have to come way, way down for me to buy. Given that this is videotape, there won't look great as it is. Something like this should be about $29.99 MSRP, not $59.99 for just 6 installments.
The reason the price is higher is because these are movies...not regular episodes. I'm sure the quality will be decent for a DVD release. But, guys, they're not going to spend tons of money to digitally remaster these--I love 'em but they're not exactly "Wizard of Oz" or "Star Wars". ;) I want the whole "PM" franchise...as I love it all. So, any official DVD release is better than hoping and praying my old VHS tapes never finally shred. I'm not loving the price...but sometimes on ebay you can find better prices once the set is released. I will get it, and any more sets that are released! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks