What's new

"The Fugitive" (1963): Season 1; Volume 1 Rumored To Be In The Works! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yes. And it looks great! But on another note (sorry to sour this moment) but did anyone notice the new SRP on the set? It's gone from $38.99 to $42.98. What the heck?!!! I swear I have to wonder if Paramount is purposely trying to sabotage this release!

Gary "good gosh, that's a high price for a split season!!!" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Not content to merely place Kimble under arrest as in vol. 1, Gerard appears to have opted for using a sniper's rifle. (Or is that a compass/directional finder thingy superimposed on Janssen?) And $42.98 SRP--did that hold true for vol. 1?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Must be the rising oil prices! Anyhow, that'll probably put the discounted release week price at around $30.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying these things even if they go up to $50, but that price really is extremely high. I have no clue what Paramount is thinking with that type of price. I'm really worried that's going to chase people away and ultimately threaten the release of the remaining three seasons.

Gary "hope I'm wrong, but that is an alarmingly high pricetag" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Don't give Paramount any ideas, Gary! At this rate what will season 2-4 go for? I completely understand you here as I'm happy that releases for "Fugitive" are on track and I'm committed, but my gosh the entire third season of "Mission: Impossible" lists for $49.99...

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Given the increase in the MSRP, it would really, really be nice if Paramount included some interviews and/or episode commentaries with Barry Morse and/or Jacqueline Scott or, perhaps, some of the writers and directors.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

That MI release was exactly what I was thinking about as a comparison. Same company, originally aired only a few years apart. Both are 60's shows, so what the heck is up with that pricing discrepancy? Does Paramount want this show to fail, sales wise?!!!

Gary "again, I'm sorry to be such a downer today - but goodness..." O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

That it would, Bob as Paramount's pricing is about on par with Time-Life's "Man from U.N.C.L.E." complete series set the way things are stacking up. Figure $30 X 8 sets and you see what I mean here. But you almost certainly won't be getting 10 hours of extras.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Yea,like the 40.00 I just paid for Season 3 of the Wild Wild West - just what IS going on? I will still buy it though - it almost borders on criminal. Maybe someone at Paramount had an idea looking at the series' title.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Seems like this is now CBS/Paramount's policy re their B&W series -- half-season releases spaced 6 months apart at higher prices than ever before. So far it's been the case with Rawhide V.2 S.2, Gunsmoke, and now Fugitive.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

The Fugitive is B&W and MI is in Color, Gary Don't you know all B&W Shows are bad sellers and they must be upped in Price to Recoup all the losses CBS will incur, you should know that silly...:laugh:

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Exactly. CBS after all nearly folded following the release of the first three seasons of "Have Gun--Will Travel".

I just now noticed that on Amazon Hawaii 5-0 S3 (also Paramount) is listing at $34.99. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the price Amazon initially applies to the upcoming vol. 2 of "The Fugitive".

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Season One, Volume Two is now listed on Amazon for $27.69 -- the list price has gone down to $36.98. Looks like CBS re-thought the price--a hopeful sign!

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
The footage of the train wreck in the opening titles of these first season episodes bears a strong resemblance to footage of a wreck in the 1938 film "The Young in Heart," starring Janet Gaynor and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. The actual footage seen in the Fugitive opening isn't really seen in the movie, but it could be outtakes from the movie, as the name of the trains and the location of the crash are the same in both. I was watching "The Young in Heart" on DVD yesterday and wondering why the wreck all looked familiar! The movie was a UA/David O. Selznick Production. Perhaps it fell into public domain, allowing the producers of the Fugitive to use the footage?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Could be, but remember-- despite being a CBS/Paramount DVD release, THE FUGITIVE was originally distributed to TV by UA --so, "public domain" status of the footage probably wasn't an issue.

Also, studios routinely used short scenes like that as stock footage; a scene from a tumbling ice wall in SHE (1935, RKO) was later used by Ray Harryhausen in THE BEAST FROM TWENTY THOUSAND FATHOMS (1953, WB), and Harryhausen's saucer footage in EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956, Columbia) was used in THE TWILIGHT ZONE - "To Serve Man" (CBS), just a few years later.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I'm guessing any cost difference between B&W Shows vs. Color either way has to be base on factors such as cost to restore/master elements, clearances and residuals. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hey guys, we are only a couple of weeks away from Volume 2 so I thought I'd pick this thread back up in anticipation of the new release.

Two things I wanted to bring up - both of which are personal. First, I wanted to find out if David V.P. had ever found/identified the actor I mentioned that played in an episode of both THE FUGITIVE and LEAVE IT TO BEAVER. This person had a bit part in "See Hollywood and Die" but played a major role in exactly one episode of Leave it to Beaver. I just figured David would recognize the person right away once he saw that person appear on the Fugitive episode.

Secondly, I kinda was hoping our good friend Jeff Willis might tell us his thoughts about the last episode (if he's seen it yet) on this first set - "Home is the Hunted". Remember, this is the first time Jeff is watching this series, and I always find it interesting to get his take on individual episodes. So Jeff, if you've watched the last episode let us know what you thought about it. I consider it one of the top 10 episodes in Season One. Maybe top 5.

Gary "can't wait for volume 2 - many more excellent episodes to come with the arrival of that set" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks