What's new

"The Fugitive" (1963): Season 1; Volume 1 Rumored To Be In The Works! (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It's funny, Gary. I was actually going to revive this thread yesterday in anticipation of the Feb. 26th release of Volume 2. I was going to report that I'd ordered it through Amazon, so I'm not anticipating an early arrival this time. In fact, I'll bet I'll be reading reviews here before I get mine since I opted for the free shipping.

My feeling was now that I've actually SEEN an official FUGITIVE DVD, the intense anticipation is over, since hopefully the others will fall in line. So getting the series a few days later than release date is acceptable for me. Ordering online means I won't have to hunt in the stores, and I'll have the peace of mind knowing it's coming.

And given the spacing of the releases, I want to slow down on the consumption of the episodes anyway to help tide me over 'til season two shows up.

I rewatched "Fatso" recently, on the announcement of the passing of Barry Morse. It's the only episode on the Volume 1 set that I hadn't gotten all the way through when I watched it. I either fell asleep or was interrupted - anyway, I knew I hadn't seen it all the way through. (I probably fell asleep looking at the sleepy driver in the opening teaser!)

Harry

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I'm glad you brought this thread to the fore, Gary as I've been looking for an excuse to get the discussion going again on "The Fugitive". In anticipation of the release to the remaining episodes of S1 I was gazing at the stats in Mel Proctor's companion book last night, going over guest stars, writers, story synopses, etc. Looks like plenty of great drama coming our way!

I can hardly wait to catch the performances of Telly Savalas, Lee Grant, Malachi Throne, Albert Salmi, Shirley Knight, Carroll O' Connor and many others. I'm especially intrigued by the rare appearance of Joanna Frank, the "Outer Limits" 'Bee Girl' from the episode "ZZZZZ". Those eyes of hers are just mesmerizing.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
This release was the furthest from my mind given the release date - but lo and behold there I was looking at a few copies on display at my favorite dvd store - so naturally I bought one. Looks like I can now carry on where I left off a couple of months ago. I need my Fugitive fix!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

LOL. A face no one could forget, huh. I about cracked up when I first saw him kissing that girl in "See Hollywood and Die."

Now I just need to see a post from Jeff Willis and my day will be complete. ;)

Gary "loved the way Dudley turned the tables on Eddie, without even trying, at the party" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

That's funny as I was just watching a Ben Casey episode a few weeks ago that she was in and the first thing I starting saying was "look, it's the Bee Girl". Talk about someone having a memorable guest shot.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro

The 1938 film "The Young in Heart," starring Janet Gaynor and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. A tip of the hat to member "jdee28" for discovering the answer..

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
With the excitement of completing Season One in just a week or so, we get the news today from TV Shows on DVD that Season Two, Volume one is just around the corner on June 10th!

The Fugitive DVD news: Announcement for The Fugitive - Season 2, Volume 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

This is terrific news. In fact, it works out that if one were to watch one episode each Tuesday, the last would be played on June 3rd. A week later, you could start Season Two!

Interpolating into the future, one might suggest that September 23rd would be the next release, but that's pushing things just a bit at this point.

Harry

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Very nice indeed. One can actually detect a pockmark in Madelyn Rhue's face (fifth image from bottom) and (gasp!) Tim O' Connor's scar!

I wonder how much of a concern this is: "Paramount's DVD package looks strong with one glaring transfer flaw. Most are very clean and contrast is phenomenal. Unlike Season One, Volume 1 (reviewed HERE) this is not progressively transferred (it is interlaced). I don't know if it was a financial decision by Paramount or a simple oversight. Either way, I am a bit disappointed as it is still advertised as 'transferred from the original negative with restored audio'. So, aside from the interlacing (combing) - it looks amazingly detailed."

I recall a discussion about an apparent "combing" effect in vol. 1--isn't this the moire patterning that shows up in thin sriped suits and so forth? The effect would be prevalent only for these kinds of shots, or so I thought.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Just got my shipping notice from DeepDiscount that season 1, volume 2 has shipped . . . . . really looking forward to this.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Ivan, I'm not so sure that it IS the full season; from the Amazon UK description . . . . .

"But at the heart of these 15 inaugural black-and-white episodes is not so much the chase, but instead the compelling human dramas that convey "how it is" with Kimble, who moves from town to town, taking odd jobs, and reluctantly becoming involved in the lives of troubled strangers he meets."

Also, the description is showing (and we know this is wrong) just a single disc.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Here's another listing. It looks like it actually is just the half-season, like in the US.

There have been differences in previous series released in the UK--some, like Lost in Space, Alfred Hitchcock, and the Outer Limits were released over there as full-season, single-sided sets rather than dual-sided split sets.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Oh boy! I just got a shipping confirmation from amazon that THE FUGITIVE, Season One, Volume 2 is on its way. I should have it sometime this week. Not bad for free shipping!

Harry

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Picked up my copy of S1, V2 this morning. Now I can REALLY sink my teeth into the freshman season of this great television classic at long last on DVD without wanting for any more of the first 30 episodes with stronger video & audio TOGETHER!!!!!! :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
$22.19 at Borders if you used the 40% coupon they issued to Reward members for DVD box sets this week. That was the best B&M deal I could find on this (Season 1, Volume 2), though I did pick up the first volume for $19 at Circuit City when it was released (but their stock is always iffy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks