What's new

Quincy, M.E. - Season 1 Question (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'd be happy with a compete series "bundle" at a discount. I loved this show, but I know the moment I pull the trigger on every season, you'll see a complete set. On Blu Ray. With bonus features.

Judging by ShoutFactory's actions over the past 15+ years, I strongly suspect their MO is to keep their titles as quasi-evergreen and very little to no liquidation to dump bins. (ie. Before the licensing expires).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
So if you want to buy something like Quincy ME, Kojak, Adam12, NYPD Blue, WKRP, etc .... at dump bin prices (ie. significantly less than $10 a pop), you'll have to either get very lucky or just wait until the Sony, Fox or Universal licensing contracts with ShoutFactory ends.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And in the final season Quincy went stereo. We had Quincy preaching on one side, his wife preaching on the other and we were stuck in the middle.

Does that mean the show went stereo, or the character?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does that mean the show went stereo, or the character?
I think Quincy went off a year or two too early to be in stereo. I think those "in stereo where available" notices started appearing in 1984. I was just joking about the final season having two preachers instead of one...and often they were preaching on opposite sides.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think Quincy went off a year or two too early to be in stereo. I think those "in stereo where available" notices started appearing in 1984. I was just joking about the final season having two preachers instead of one...and often they were preaching on opposite sides.

That explains it!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, glad there is a thread already for Quincy.

i was just thinking about potentially picking up this series and did some research on the DVD release. I see that GRUV is having a sale and Season 1 and 3 are on sale for $9.99. But I don’t see season 2 there. The season 1 set has 4 hours of content. So that must mean it’s just the 4 mystery movies?

I also see that there is a box of Season 1 and 2 combined. I see it for sale on Amazon for a lot and eBay for much less. if I can find the first three seasons, then I figure Shout would be the way to get the rest of the seasons.

Can anyone help me understand the DVD releases? Looks like there was originally a season 1 and 2 set. Not sure I understand why GRUV only has a Season 1 release. Unless it’s incorrectly labeled. Thanks!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Universal originally released Quincy on DVD as flipper discs with the Mystery Movies and Season 1 combined.
1673903077027.png

Several years latter they re released the Mystery Movies by themselves on single sided discs.
1673902935558.png

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Universal considers the first hour long episodes as Season 2, even when they aired during the same TV season with the movies. The last MM aired in January 1977. the first hour long episodes began in February 1977.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Darin. This is kind of messed up then. The only way to get the Mystery Movies is the buy the set from GRUV, but that excludes the first season of the 13 hour long episodes.

Or chase on the secondary market for the first release that has the TV movies and episodes from season 1 combined. But then they are on flipper discs which are probably going to have playback issues.

This is starting to clear up now. In looking at the Wikipedia page, it even says the first Mystery Movies and 13 episodes combined was released as you said as a Season 1 and 2 set. But then no Season 2 set was ever released. I’ll have to ponder on this before committing. I liked the series when it originally aired and saw an episode the other day airing on TV. So it made me think about potentially collecting it.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
If you aren't opposed to imports, Via Vision in Australia Has a complete series set. Universal only released two DVD sets in the USA, Shout Factory released the rest of the series.
51GS99onmkL._SY445_.jpg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Darin, thanks for the tip of the Australian release, I wasn’t aware of that. Looks like they have a lot of shows. I’m not opposed to that, I have the Magnum PI release from overseas. The Quincy complete series set is $132.00 US dollars. That might be more of a commitment then I thought. I had not priced out the series from GRUV and Shout yet.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Hey guys, glad there is a thread already for Quincy.

i was just thinking about potentially picking up this series and did some research on the DVD release. I see that GRUV is having a sale and Season 1 and 3 are on sale for $9.99. But I don’t see season 2 there. The season 1 set has 4 hours of content. So that must mean it’s just the 4 mystery movies?

I also see that there is a box of Season 1 and 2 combined. I see it for sale on Amazon for a lot and eBay for much less. if I can find the first three seasons, then I figure Shout would be the way to get the rest of the seasons.

Can anyone help me understand the DVD releases? Looks like there was originally a season 1 and 2 set. Not sure I understand why GRUV only has a Season 1 release. Unless it’s incorrectly labeled. Thanks!
Apparently the first two episodes broadcast as "Quincy" were originally meant to be shown as Mystery Movies as well. Wasn't the true second season released as "Quincy Season Three"?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Apparently the first two episodes broadcast as "Quincy" were originally meant to be shown as Mystery Movies as well. Wasn't the true second season released as "Quincy Season Three"?
Yes.

Again... here's what we got:
TV movies and season 1 were, together, marketed as "The Complete Seasons 1 and 2" (1976-1977)
Season 3 (actual season 2) (1977-78)
Season 4 (actual season 3) (1978-79)
Season 5 (actual season 4) (1979-80)
Season 6 (actual season 5) (1980-81)
Season 7 (actual season 6) (1981-82)
Season 8 (actual season 7) (1982-83)

~Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks