What's new

The Flash - season 5 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 1 thread
Season 2 thread
Season 3 thread
Season 4 thread

"The Flash" will return Tuesday, October 9th at 8/7c.

Danielle Nicolet, who plays DA Cecile Horton and soon-to-be-mother to Joe's latest child, has been promoted to series regular. Hartley Sawyer, who plays Ralph Dibny aka the Elongated Man, has also been promoted to series regular. Jessica Parker Kennedy, who made a series of mysterious appearances last season before being revealed as Nora West-Allen, the speedster daughter of Barry and Iris from the future, will also be a series regular this season.

Tom Cavanaugh will play yet another Wells this season, after Harry Wells returned to Earth-2 in the finale to reconcile with his daughter Jesse. Sherloque Wells, as he’s called, is “a very intelligent human being who is maybe not to be trusted.”

The new season will delve more into Caitlin's backstory, and the reason she has Killer Frost lurking inside her.

Iris is eager to get to know her daughter, but Nora is not interested in spending time with her mother, for reasons that will be come clear early on in the season. Nora is excited to spend time with her father, but Barry is wary of her presence in the past.

New Casting:

Comic-Con 2018 Trailer:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New costume:
TheFlash_S05_001.jpg

I miss the chin strip.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The head gear looks more like a helmet than a cowl. Looks like a separate piece not attached to the rest of the costume.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think that’s just bad perspective on the drawing.

I love this show even last season but would like to see Grant Gustin actually have some meat on his frame, maybe a little extra muscle bulk.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Maybe flashbacks, but definitely present day. Susan Walters is also returning as Caitlin's mom.

This is exciting news to me. I've been hoping to get more information/backstory about Caitlin. It would be cool to see how she first became exposed to the dark matter that infused her with Killer Frost's DNA. :dancing-banana-04:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New trailer:

It appears that:
The Big Bad this season was a one-off villain of the week before Nora changed the timeline.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm hoping they can turn this series around. It's been mediocre for the past two or three seasons.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I mostly enjoyed this premiere. They toned down Ralph and scaled back his screentime, which made his shtick a lot more tolerable.

I really am enjoying Nora, and what Jessica Parker Kennedy brings to the role. Barry's decision to let her stay is of course going to end up with a lot of death and turmoil. But from Nora's perspective, she's already coming from a bad timeline. She's basically faced with the same decision her dad was faced with.

The continued coldness toward Iris is interesting. I get why she isn't as psyched to spend time with her mom as her with dad, because the custodial parent is usually taken for granted while the missing parent is romanticized. When that missing parent is the Flash, it takes it to a whole 'nother level. But something has clearly happened beyond that to wreck that relationship. And Iris is suffering the consequences of events that haven't even happened yet.

I was glad the show took the time to explain why the Waverider wasn't an option. The write out of Wally could have been a little less perfunctory, though.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I mostly enjoyed this premiere. They toned down Ralph and scaled back his screentime, which made his shtick a lot more tolerable.

I really am enjoying Nora, and what Jessica Parker Kennedy brings to the role. Barry's decision to let her stay is of course going to end up with a lot of death and turmoil. But from Nora's perspective, she's already coming from a bad timeline. She's basically faced with the same decision her dad was faced with.

The continued coldness toward Iris is interesting. I get why she isn't as psyched to spend time with her mom as her with dad, because the custodial parent is usually taken for granted while the missing parent is romanticized. When that missing parent is the Flash, it takes it to a whole 'nother level. But something has clearly happened beyond that to wreck that relationship. And Iris is suffering the consequences of events that haven't even happened yet.

I was glad the show took the time to explain why the Waverider wasn't an option. The write out of Wally could have been a little less perfunctory, though.

There could be several reasons for Nora's coolness toward Iris. Maybe Iris didn't want Nora to become a superhero after Barry disappeared for fear of losing her. Maybe Iris has moved on from Barry after he disappeared 25 years ago and Nora resents that Iris stopped believing that Barry would come back. Maybe Iris ended up with someone we know in the present like Ralph or the next version of Harrison Welles.

I liked all the Meta references from Ralph. Like couldn't Eddie just have gotten a vasectomy to stop Reverse Flash ? Ralph mentioning maybe there is an alternative timeline where he was killed by the particle accelerator when in Season 1, pre Flashpoint, there is a mention that Ralph Digby was one of the people killed by the particle accelerator . Ralph being clueless about time travel. All good.

Last edited:

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The way I'm looking at it is that Nora doesn't have any memories of her dad (Barry) and that her mom is probably too involved with her work to worry about her child, who is also suffering. I'm thinking that her mom shut Nora off, emotionally, and that she resents her mom to some degree.

I've also been thinking about why Ralph Dibny from season one which everyone thought had died, actually did. What nobody's considering is that when Barry went back in time to save his mother from being murdered, that when he went back in time again to set the timeline straight, that it created a brand new timeline of events where Ralph didn't die. If you remember in the first season where Hartley Rathaway was captured and trying to get revenge on Harrison, when Barry tried to repair the timeline, Hartley was all of a sudden a good guy. I suspect that there are even more changes that nobody is aware of that could reflect on the changes that Barry has done to the timeline, unintended side effects.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I've also been thinking about why Ralph Dibny from season one which everyone thought had died, actually did. What nobody's considering is that when Barry went back in time to save his mother from being murdered, that when he went back in time again to set the timeline straight, that it created a brand new timeline of events where Ralph didn't die. If you remember in the first season where Hartley Rathaway was captured and trying to get revenge on Harrison, when Barry tried to repair the timeline, Hartley was all of a sudden a good guy. I suspect that there are even more changes that nobody is aware of that could reflect on the changes that Barry has done to the timeline, unintended side effects.

I think anyone who remembers the mention of Ralph Dilby dying in Season 1 believes he is alive because of Flashpoint. In fact when Ralph was first introduced last season there was an article with the showrunner where it was pointed out that Ralph Dilby had died in Season 1 . The showrunner didn't remember this, so one of the writers mentioned, joking, he must be back because of Flashpoint, a way to explain any inconsistencies that pop up over the course of a long running series. The show was playing with this as with many other meta moments with Ralph in this first episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks