What's new

the first cut is the deepest...... (1 Viewer)

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
and most painful.

As some of you know i work in the glass business. Well friday I got my first "taste" of being a glass guy. I serverly lacerated my left hand from the bottom of my index finger to the center of my palm which required 5 internal stitches and 15 external. the funny thing is that i didnt feel a thing when it happened just the shock of looking down and seeing blood squirting from my hand freaked me out.

they have me on antibiotics and oxycodone for the pain. but im a trooper im going yto work on monday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
a clean cut won't feel or hurt until a second or 2 later or when you seee it.

good luck, pics?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As a machinist working with metal, I have cut myself many times also. Not quite as bad as what you have but still requiring stitches. I know what you mean about not feeling it. Twice I had someone tell me that I am bleeding because I hadn't noticed.
Not to sound unsympathetic, but as the safety manager for my company, I have to ask - Were you wearing gloves? Looking back, what would you do differently so you don't do this again?
I hope you have a quick recovery!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Many years ago (many, many) when I was working as a stocker in my dad's grocery store I was cutting open a card-board box of goods with a box cutter and the blade went down my thumb.

"Dad, I've cut myself!". I didn't feel pain, but I knew I had done it. We wrapped it in a towel and went to the doctor. I don't recall there being much pain at all. I was much more careful with cutting boxes after that.

I've still got the scar.

Your's sounds worse than my experience, but a clean cut, as mentioned above does produce less pain. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On the other hand (no pun intended
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
), when I was about 8 years old I ran over my finger while riding a skate board on my stomach. Not exactly a clean cut and I never felt a thing. Quite awhile later I looked down and saw my finger nail hanging by a thread and quite a lot of blood. Only then did I feel the pain. There must be some psychological forces at work along with an occupied mind that eases the pain for awhile. But I agree that a clean cut has a better chance to go painless for a bit until you realize what has happened.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
The other guy was wearing my gloves go friggen fig. my bro/boss just bought 26 pairs of gloves for us and has set a new rule......gloves at all times with units, mirrors, and plate. none for mall glass since its polished on all sides. it hurts a little right noe but i guess thats all part of the healing process.

I did happen to find an old paintball glove of mine. Its perfect to protect my hand while i have it all bandaged up. im not stting glass for a while but we do have some other things i can do until i recover fullly.

thanks for the kind word gents

later

ps i hate typing with one hand

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quick recovery!

I cut my pinky on a silicon shard, from a broken wafer in my car about a month before my wedding. I bandaged it myself, but a few hours later I realized it was too deep and went to after hours care for treatment. Ugh. I'd waited too long so they couldn't do stitches. That finger was number for months, and took about a year to finally lose most of the tenderness.

Lesson: treat serious cuts immediately!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

sometimes that doesn't matter either.

a year or so ago i sliced oped the top of my thumb cutting drywall.
split the top of my thumb.

didnt feel a thing until a few minutes later when i tried to clean it.
that's when i saw how badly I cut it and how deep.

we went right to the e.r. but the that's
the trouble statrted.
it took nearly 4 hours for a dr to come in and stitch it up.

and he didnt stitch it very well as a few days later they came untied.

we went to another dr and he took them out and closed the cut with a sterile strips.

it never healed right because it was never really closed properly.

I still don't have all the feeling back in that one little section on one side of the top on my thumb.

the whole situation is reallly a mess.

This really would have healed better if right after it happenend I just used the strips my self and held it closed on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks