What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

THE FILM DETECTIVE wishlist (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
My wish list from this company is absolutely barren unless they clean up their act on DNR and over-filtering the sound. Nothing they've released so far is rare enough to go out of my way for. Otherwise, I'l stick to my non-DNR'd DVDs.

Though if I had to, I'd hope for films or shorts that haven't gotten much on the PD scene. Rare British films, shorts. If not, then PD films with superior element sources than what we've been seeing from the mainline PD outlets. Though DNR abuse kinda wastes that...
Konstantinos said:
This is a matter of a Film Detective release or no release at all!
Sorry to say, but if the end result is a botched, poorly done representation of the film, I'd rather they didn't release it at all. It just saturates the market with sub-standard prints and makes anyone who would do a good job on it think twice in terms of being able to make a profit.

Often times, PD blu-rays aren't much better than having them on DVD due to the poor elements used.

None of these are really unique and have been through the PD wringer 10 times over. Some of those will never look better than the quality studio DVDs, even on blu-ray.

Again, I'd much rather stick to a DVD edition that hasn't been beaten with the DNR stick within an inch of its life than a blu-ray that has.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
case in point, a small animated feature, 2 very differing releases, Thunderbean's, work of love or Kotch's work of what the hell were they thinking release of Gulliver's Travels,

just because the title is PD doesn't meant that the original studio who has the original elements could not release it, how nice would it be if Warner Archive decided to do a "Father" double feature, would buy that in a second!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thunderbean is a particularly good example of not needing to go cheap just because one works on a budget.

I would expect a work of love to include selecting an appropriately stable media format to distribute it on, which is why I wonder why in this case BD-R became Film Detective's format of choice.

It seems like an unnecessarily weak start.

thefilmdetective

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Hopkins
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The blu-ray releases are being delayed, as we were very interested in getting as much feedback from everyone as possible and accordingly improving our final releases. The good news is we will be releasing Beat the Devil in its original aspect ratio, Salt of the Earth, and Hollow Triumph at the end of the year. These will all have closed captions and we will be using no noise reduction on any of the transfers for blu-ray. We appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. The discs will be distributed and manufactured as originally planned by Allied Vaughn.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
thefilmdetective said:
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The blu-ray releases are being delayed, as we were very interested in getting as much feedback from everyone as possible and accordingly improving our final releases. The good news is we will be releasing Beat the Devil in its original aspect ratio, Salt of the Earth, and Hollow Triumph at the end of the year. These will all have closed captions and we will be using no noise reduction on any of the transfers for blu-ray. We appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. The discs will be distributed and manufactured as originally planned by Allied Vaughn.
Please keep us informed as I would like to include those titles in our Blu-ray Preorder Release Listing.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, I would take the chance on rare titles I love such as 'Black Tights' or 'New faces of 1952', neither of which have halfway decent DVD transfers let alone any likelihood of Blu release.
New Faces of 1952. YES. Very disappointed in the DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
dana martin said:
case in point, a small animated feature, 2 very differing releases, Thunderbean's, work of love or Kotch's work of what the hell were they thinking release of Gulliver's Travels,

just because the title is PD doesn't meant that the original studio who has the original elements could not release it, how nice would it be if Warner Archive decided to do a "Father" double feature, would buy that in a second!
Warner has said they have rights problems with Life With Father and when they are resolved they will consider the title.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
ahollis said:
Warner has said they have rights problems with Life With Father and when they are resolved they will consider the title.
I think he meant Father of the Bride and Father's Little Divident.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Konstantinos said:
I think he meant Father of the Bride and Father's Little Divident.
I believe Life with Father is the correct title.

As noted earlier in this thread, it would be unwise to presume that because a film has been relegated to PD hell, that the owner of chain of title, underlying rights, and film elements, will not do a quality release.

While there is nothing wrong with an independent label releasing PD titles, especially if they hold original print or preprint elements, some do not transition well. Most notably color films printed via dye transfer.

RAH

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don't know if it is the same group involved, but I picked up the BR disks of "Strange Love of Martha Ivers" and the twin pack of "Kansas City Confidential" and "Stranger" made by HD Cinema Classics. They weren't BD-R's but they were awful transfers. These were the first BR releases I've picked up where I could say with complete confidence that my DVD's were better. They obviously weren't based on the same master since technically if they were the BR should still come out ahead. I guess the problem with the PD stuff is that there are so many prints being used across companies that quality will vary. I had to search out the best copies i could find of those titles on DVD just to be remotely satisfied.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Any word on Beat the Devil on Blu . Can't find it at Amazon . Just the DVD . I have noticed that Film Detective is also putting out many of the PD titles Alpha put out . Anyone know if the FD releases are upgrades over the Alpha releases ? There are some Alpha titles I wouldn't mind upgrading if the print is decent . They seem to have a lot of Roy Rogers and early Wayne .

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
borisfw said:
Any word on Beat the Devil on Blu . Can't find it at Amazon . Just the DVD . I have noticed that Film Detective is also putting out many of the PD titles Alpha put out . Anyone know if the FD releases are upgrades over the Alpha releases ? There are some Alpha titles I wouldn't mind upgrading if the print is decent . They seem to have a lot of Roy Rogers and early Wayne .
Here it is....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0107GC9UK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_

New release date is Sept 8th....although this release has been delayed/changed about 4 times so far!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thanks for the update . I will take a chance . I figure it can't be worse than what's out there now .

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
DVD Beaver has a review up of the new Film Detective blu of 1959's THE BAT with Agnes Moorehead and Vincent Price. I have to say it looks pretty good (slight sharpening maybe?) and bodes well for their new blu-ray line. In fairness, THE BAT always cleaned up pretty nicely anyway so I would be interested to see what they can do with more problematic elements but I don't hate this at all...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_69/the_bat_blu-ray.htm

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That THE WIZARD OF OZ (1925) silent feature get a proper 1080p Blu-ray release, either on its own, or as part of yet another future release of the 1939 classic! The very poor upscaled version (Which has baked in stair-stepping!) that appears on the 2009/2013 SD port over is actually a step down from the very good 2005 DVD release.

CHEERS! :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Life with Father is another film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039566/

Dana Martin mentioned a Father double feature so I assumed he meant these 2 (again with Elizabeth Taylor):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042451

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043526
Sorry, so 6 years later I get back to answer the question

yes I most defiantly meant Fathers Little Dividend, after that original blu release of Father of the Bride, was hoping that it would materialize from Warner Archive, but i do see that there is more possibilities of WB releasing some titles that they let slip into PD Hell.

So back to The Film Detective

how a 6 years or so later, things have changed in the past couple of years they have stepped their game, and with a little research and reading this past week, things could get interesting.

I give you the new and improved "The Film Detective"

1631415966023.png
1631415981614.png
1631415994844.png
1631416008369.png
1631416027429.png
1631416041272.png
1631416058288.png
1631416079222.png
1631416108050.png
1631416147702.png

https://www.nexttv.com/news/cinedigms-the-film-detective-adds-titles-from-holland-releasing

https://www.accesswire.com/635695/Cinedigm-Acquires-Films-Around-the-World-Content-Library

so with that and the Corporate backing, I hope to see some more releases, as long as those titles are treated correctly, most of those that I have added images for, are not bare bones releases, commentary, extra features or featurettes from Ballyhoo Motion Pictures, booklets with info, they have stepped up the quality on these releases.

really like that they are going after some of the more obscure noir titles, and that upcoming Holmes set looks pretty interesting as well.

And I am really hoping that a future announcement includes this title, fully restored correctly and Gene Tierney, looking completely luminous.

1631418250826.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks