What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Exorcist: Is there a difference between these two cuts of the 1973 film? (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Not a very "fast" buck since "Heretic" didn't come out until 4 years after the original.

It's a terrible movie, but I don't think it can be accused of being a rapid turnaround sequel meant to strike when the fire was hot...

The Exorcist didn't come out in the US until December 26 1973, it then ran for practically all of 1974 and maybe even up to early 1975 too. Heretic didn't get started until late 1975 with filming beginning in the spring of 1976. Both films had around the same budget, but the original made 441.3 million while the Heretic made just 30.7 million.

The film was plagued with problems from the very start. Blatty and Friedkin wanted nothing to do with a sequel, The screenplay was rewritten at least five times, Linda agreed to come back but refused wear the demon make up again, Ellen Burstyn flatly told WB "No" to coming back, and Georgetown denied WB from filming their again as well.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Exorcist didn't come out in the US until December 26 1973, it then ran for practically all of 1974 and maybe even up to early 1975 too. Heretic didn't get started until late 1975 with filming beginning in the spring of 1976. Both films had around the same budget, but the original made 441.3 million while the Heretic made just 30.7 million.

The film was plagued with problems from the very start. Blatty and Friedkin wanted nothing to do with a sequel, The screenplay was rewritten at least five times, Linda agreed to come back but refused wear the demon make up again, Ellen Burstyn flatly told WB "No" to coming back, and Georgetown denied WB from filming their again as well.

None of this supports your apparent claim that "Heretic" went into production quickly for a fast buck, does it? :huh:

mickeymickey2682

Auditioning
Real Name
Miguel Garcia
Bryan,

The same thing happened with me in regard to "The Wild Bunch" too on Vudu. Two digital streams, one is in SD and the other is HD.

As to "The Exorcist", I'm going to try to watch all three versions in October. I'll start with the original, then the Version You've Never Seen and lastly the extended director's cut. I'm going to watch them separately so it will most likely be one version each week until all three are completed.
Did you notice a difference between Director's cut and The Version You've Never Seen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks