What's new

"The Equalizer", starring Ed Woodward (1985-1989) (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
In the VEI complete series set, is the season 1 disc the same (content/video quality) as the earlier Universal release?

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Caveat: The below info./discussion is for The Equalizer TV series on the Region 1 DVD's only. I'm in the U.S. & don't have any familiarity with non-Region 1 DVD sets. And, I've never invested in a Region free player - nor would I know where to even get one:

In the VEI complete series set, is the season 1 disc the same (content/video quality) as the earlier Universal release?

1) No, it's not as good. The Universal S01 release included 6 disks for Season 1, and there were subtitles. The Picture Quality (PQ) for this Universal release was, overall, very good - probably due in part to the fact that the episodes were spread out over the 6 disks. I don't own this set, but IIRC there were only about 4 episodes on each disk.

Conversely, the later VEI release of Season 1 is inferior. The PQ is, overall, "soft" - due to there being only 4 disks for season (and roughly 5-6 episodes per disk). Also, subtitles are not included in the VEI release(s). I.e., the later S01 VEI release is not using the same prints/masters as the earlier Universal S01 release.

Can't speak for audio in the VEI releases, since it's been a while since I've seen the set(s). I do remember the audio being good for the Universal release & being OK for the VEI release(s).

2)There were several reasons why I got The Equalizer VEI release several years ago (instead of the S01 Universal release):

a) The Universal S01 release was OOP by the time I wanted to get the show, and I didn't want to pay big bucks for only one season. Note that the Universal releases stalled after S01; no additional seasons (in Region 1) were released by Universal

2) Season 2-4 were only released on Region 1 DVD - on the VEI sets.

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Caveat: The below info./discussion is for The Equalizer TV series on the Region 1 DVD's only. I'm in the U.S. & don't have any familiarity with non-Region 1 DVD sets. And, I've never invested in a Region free player - nor would I know where to even get one:

1) No, it's not as good. The Universal S01 release included 6 disks for Season 1, and there were subtitles. The Picture Quality (PQ) for this Universal release was, overall, very good - probably due in part to the fact that the episodes were spread out over the 6 disks. I don't own this set, but IIRC there were only about 4 episodes on each disk.

Conversely, the later VEI release of Season 1 is inferior. The PQ is, overall, "soft" - due to there being only 4 disks for season (and roughly 5-6 episodes per disk). Also, subtitles are not included in the VEI release(s). I.e., the later S01 VEI release is not using the same prints/masters as the earlier Universal S01 release.

Can't speak for audio in the VEI releases, since it's been a while since I've seen the set(s). I do remember the audio being good for the Universal release & being OK for the VEI release(s).

2)There were several reasons why I got The Equalizer VEI release several years ago (instead of the S01 Universal release):

a) The Universal S01 release was OOP by the time I wanted to get the show, and I didn't want to pay big bucks for only one season. Note that the Universal releases stalled after S01; no additional seasons (in Region 1) were released by Universal

2) Season 2-4 were only released on Region 1 DVD - on the VEI sets.
Thank you for the extremely helpful and informative answer. That's too bad. In the case of the Barnaby Jones complete set from VEI, there is a similar situation - the first season was released earlier and remastered by Paramount. But in that case it appears VEI was able to port over Paramount's season 1 to their complete series set. At least I think so.

I guess for Equalizer I'll make do with the VEI set. Or there's a UK set which allegedly has all the original music:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Jim, I really appreciate your fine episode reviews and admirable enthusiasm for The Equalizer, but do want to clarify something about the VEI complete series box sets...there were TWO of them, with the original 2014 complete series 'Limited Edition' being on 30 discs (which I have) ...each of the four seasons being on 6 discs each...and a 5th case of 6 discs with 4 of them devoted to the included complete series CI5 The New Professionals, the 1997-98 (aired 1999) Brian Clemons produced 13 episode series, financed by the German network DW. Another disc is devoted to the 44 minute documentary The Story of the Equalizer, a good backstory-making of the series, originally produced by Fabulous Films for the UK R2 set, and also a photo gallery...and finally, another bonus disc devoted to Edward Woodward's 2009 British telefilm A Congregation of Ghosts, his very last screen performance, as he died during post-production.

Just as with Barnaby Jones that Stephen mentioned (and several other series), VEI followed the original Limited Edition sets with a reduced disc count standard edition. And yes, in the case of both series, used the same transfers for season one that the original studio had used for their own releases.

1687196310598.png

1687196370389.png

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Jim, I really appreciate your fine episode reviews and admirable enthusiasm for The Equalizer, but do want to clarify something about the VEI complete series box sets...there were TWO of them, with the original 2014 complete series 'Limited Edition' being on 30 discs (which I have) ...each of the four seasons being on 6 discs each...and a 5th case of 6 discs with 4 of them devoted to the included complete series CI5 The New Professionals, the 1997-98 (aired 1999) Brian Clemons produced 13 episode series, financed by the German network DW. Another disc is devoted to the 44 minute documentary The Story of the Equalizer, a good backstory-making of the series, originally produced by Fabulous Films for the UK R2 set, and also a photo gallery...and finally, another bonus disc devoted to Edward Woodward's 2009 British telefilm A Congregation of Ghosts, his very last screen performance, as he died during post-production.

Just as with Barnaby Jones that Stephen mentioned (and several other series), VEI followed the original Limited Edition sets with a reduced disc count standard edition. And yes, in the case of both series, used the same transfers for season one that the original studio had used for their own releases.

Thanks very much for the clarification. I was actually unaware of the 30-disk Limited Edition Equalizer VEI set until you I read your post. I didn't know this existed. It definitely sounds better than the regular edition that I have.

I just looked this up, and this Limited Edition is expensive these days. It's obvious VEI went the cheap route with the regular (non-Limited Edition) DVD set - and it shows.

Here's hoping the entire series gets released on Blu-ray with cleaned-up PQ, subtitles, etc. Older TV series are being released on HD all the time, so this possibility is not that far-fetched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks