What's new

"The Equalizer", starring Ed Woodward (1985-1989) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Other than The Equalizer, I've only seen Woodward in two other roles: The iconic horror film The Wicker Man (1973), and the excellent Boer War-era drama Breaker Morant (1980). And, I think it helped that The Equalizer was the first role I saw him in, so I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about him as actor. I still attest that TE is his best role/character, hands-down. Some more S02 episode reviews:

The Cup: Extremely well-done episode, and one of my many favorites. I liked how it delved into Mickey Kostmeyer's past, re: introducing his priest brother. The brief conversation that the brother had with McCall and Mickey really illustrated how they had completely different views on forgiveness (and life in general) while growing up, and obviously into adult-hood as well. I.e. the brother became a priest, and Mickey essentially became a de-facto mercenary (while still working for "The Company").

The terrorist/espionage angle here was extremely well-done, and also somewhat complex. One of the most disturbing scenes in this episode was towards the end, when the priest was going to obviously sacrifice himself to save everyone from the device in the bag - before being saved by McCall (who threw the bag out of the window right as it exploded).

High Performance: This story revolved around a young female construction worker
who witnesses a murder through the window of a nearby high-rise - as she is working. She is then targeted due to her witnessing the crime, and turns to McCall for help. Extremely gripping episode.

Heartstrings: A mother's newborn baby is kidnapped from the hospital, and she turns to McCall for help in tracking down the child. I wonder if the storyline was at least partly based on the then-recent kidnapping of baby Marlene Santana - which happened right outside a NYC hospital in 1985. This got a lot of press at the time, and was a segment in the old Unsolved Mysteries TV series:

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com...arlene_Santana

Hand and Glove: One of the final S02 episodes. Scott McCall (William Zabka) is concerned because one of his friends (that he studied with in Europe) is worried because she feels someone is trying to assault/kill while she's asleep.
She is very wealthy, and an invalid. Due to Scott's insistence, The Equalizer gets involved and uncovers a plot to make the young woman appear insane, so that someone else in the family will inherit all of her extensive wealth.

Excellent episode, and elements of this reminded me strongly of a horror film. This is also one of those unique episodes where McCall gets involved in helping someone without being specifically called on the phone (due to the ad in the paper).

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Other than The Equalizer, I've only seen Woodward in two other roles: The iconic horror film The Wicker Man (1973), and the excellent Boer War-era drama Breaker Morant (1980). And, I think it helped that The Equalizer was the first role I saw him in, so I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas about him as actor. I still attest that TE is his best role/character, hands-down.

He appeared on the only two-part episode ("Hunted") of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents revival during its third season on the USA Network. His character rented an office from a female real-estate agent, then locked her in the office with him while he threatened to shoot at innocent people from the window with a rifle. Of course, there's more to it than that. It was broadcast on 7/30/88 and 8/06/88. I watched it live then and more recently watched it in March 2019 (taped on VHS) while going through the entire Alfred Hitchcock television collection (Presents/Hour/Revival/Suspicion, etc.)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Continuing with my reviews of this excellent series. Here are some S03 episode reviews:

-The season opener is a two-parter entitled Blood and Wine. These may be my two favorite episodes in the series. The storyline revolves around a vicious terrorist (Bill Atherton) known only as "Alpha"
The Federal authorities know he is in the U.S. to commit heinous acts in NYC. However, no one knows what his specific plans are, and no one knows what he looks like due to his having extensive plastic surgery after he does each "job".

These episodes also feature Telly Savalas as a priest/monk who had previously been a vicious terrorist himself. But, he has repented - and, wants to assist McCall and the others to find Alpha. McCall doesn't trust him, but reluctantly accepts his help.

Superb episode(s), with an amazing finale.

-Mission: McCall was also excellent. McCall has disappeared - and Scott, Mickey, Dyson (Robert Mitchum), Control, and a reluctant Harley Gage have to team up to find him.

This two-parter featured Frances Fisher in a cameo as a foreign operative. Fisher had previously been in the S02 episode Nightscape as the victim of a subway assault. As frequently occurred in many '80's TV shows, the same actor/actress sometimes played different roles throughout the series.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
More S03 episode reviews:

-Another superb two-parter was The Mystery of Manon. This involved Control's previously-introduced god-daughter Yvette Marcel & her father Philip (both from Canada) coming back to NYC because they needed help from Control & McCall, due to hearing that Philip's wife Manon (Yvette's mother)
was possibly still alive - after having presumably died in a plane crash years before.

In the previous episode featuring Yvette, it was revealed that she was actually McCall's biological daughter from his years-before relationship with Manon. However, it wasn't until this two-parter that Yvette herself actually found out the truth about McCall.

The episode was also very fascinating & disturbing - because even at the end, it still wasn't clear if the woman who claimed to be Manon was actually her (and she had somehow survived the plane crash that supposedly killed her, or was never on the plane) - or was in actuality an imposter. She disappeared at the end of the episode, so her actual identity was never truly revealed.

- No Place Like Home - a man with a family is being unlawfully evicted by a corrupt landlord, and turns to McCall for help. Very sad/poignant episode, that focused on unemployment & homelessness - and is definitely more relevant now than ever before.

- Always a Lady - a former colleague/friend of McCall's turns to him for help; she claims she is being framed for a theft - by her "connected" employer.

Excellent episode, with an unexpected ending - involving a betrayal that I didn't really see coming.

This episode features one of my favorite quotes/lines from the series; At the end, McCall is talking to Control, and says reflectively:

"She was a friend once. You're the man with answers, so tell me something: When friendship dies, where do you go to say goodbye?"

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
From what I can tell, Alan, the Complete Series set from VEI does not include CI5: The New Professionals, nor any other bonus features...just the episodes of The Equalizer themselves. However, it is far cheaper than the set which does include that other series. From all I've read/heard, you'd not be missing out on anything special by not getting The New Professionals. Hopefully others will chime in here with their take on that short-lived series.

You are correct that "The Equalizer: The Complete Collection" only includes the 88 Equalizer episodes. I was lucky enough to get the original "Limited Edition" set that had CI5: The New Professionals (and a one-off TV movie with Woodward, A Congregation of Ghosts) while the LE was still available. That was back in Dec 2020.

Funny thing, I paid the same for the LE that the current non-LE is going for on sale ($39.99).

CI5 is OK, but it's not something one can't live without. And even for fans of the original The Professionals, it's not that special.

I only own the original Universal 6 disc S1 set of The Equalizer, and have really enjoyed the episodes that I've watched so far. Here's a recent review I did in another thread on episode 1.10, "Bump and Run":

Robert McCall (Edward Woodward), busy trying to track down a vigilante who's been killing scumbags in his name, assigns former CIA pal Mickey Kostmeyer (Keith Szarabajka, last seen in 1.2 “China Rain”)

It's funny, but I'm not sure how much of The Equalizer I'd seen during its original run. I know I'd seen a bunch of episodes, but I don't think I'd seen the entire series beginning to end until I taped reruns from A&E during the 90s.

I definitely hadn't seen "China Rain" until the A&E run, and I was flabbergasted that it was a rip-off of the Kurosawa film High and Low -- which is itself an adaptation (and so credited) of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novel King's Ransom. It's more akin to the Kurosawa than to the original novel in that the affected family is Asian (though switched from Japanese to Chinese in "China Rain").

One of the things I liked most about The Equalizer -- and which I mentioned in another thread (about the upcoming third entry in the Fuqua/Washington film series) -- was that McCall rarely used physical violence against his adversaries, in lieu of out-thinking them.

I still haven't watched the films, though I have both on the shelf. Haven't watched the current remake series with Queen Latifah, either. I've been tempted on occasion, but I just have too much else to watch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Regarding other roles of Woodward's...

He appeared in one episode of Crusade, the Babylon 5 spin-off, alongside his son Peter, who was a regular on the show.

He has a nice bit part in the Edgar Winters film Hot Fuzz (which is worth seeing all on its own).

Check out Woodward in his first major TV success in the UK: Callan.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=callan

And if you are hooked, the DVD's (a multi region DVD player will be needed)::

https://networkonair.com/search?controller=search&s=callan

Actually, a multi-region DVD player, while worth it, isn't required unless one is a completist. Acorn Media has released the colour episodes of Callan on DVD in the US.

For another worthy series with Woodward, and which will require a Region 2-capable player, is 1990. It's a drama set in a dystopian future ("future" relative to when it was made: 1977/1978) with Woodward' protagonist being a subversive journalist.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Regarding other roles of Woodward's...

He appeared in one episode of Crusade, the Babylon 5 spin-off, alongside his son Peter, who was a regular on the show.

He has a nice bit part in the Edgar Winters film Hot Fuzz (which is worth seeing all on its own).

Actually, a multi-region DVD player, while worth it, isn't required unless one is a completist. Acorn Media has released the colour episodes of Callan on DVD in the US.

For another worthy series with Woodward, and which will require a Region 2-capable player, is 1990. It's a drama set in a dystopian future ("future" relative to when it was made: 1977/1978) with Woodward' protagonist being a subversive journalist.

THIS is what I think about when I see/read anything about The Equalizer. PS- strong language. Enjoy.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
S04 is an excellent season of the series, and one of the best seasons of any TV show I've ever seen:

-The S04 season opener started off strong with The Last Campaign. This involved a young state senatorial candidate blackmailing an older senator to get him to step down from his position. Extremely well-done episode, which involved an assistant (who knew what the young senator was up to) being falsely accused of being insane - and being put in an asylum against her will.

This episode also features some fantastic subtle humor: McCall briefly goes "undercover" in the asylum & basically convinces his doctors that he's crazy - due to his claiming to have worked for a secret organization, overthrown governments, etc.....when everything he's saying/claiming is probably 100% true - ha ha.

Notable guest stars included Stanley Tucci, veteran actor E.G. Marshall, and a great cameo by Wendell Pierce (HBO's The Wire & Treme).

- Sea of Fire: McCall goes undercover in a local rough school (as a temporary substitute teacher) to assist a teacher in bringing down a group of teen thugs/gang members who had committed heinous acts & who basically controlled the school.

One of the best scenes in this episode was when McCall took a group of these kids to the local morgue so that they could see the ultimate result of the lifestyle that they were leading. This was followed by a reformed hit-man/killer (expertly played by David Strathairn) talking to the kids about a time that he was close to death & was convinced that he actually saw hell. Very chilling/disturbing monologue; though this was a small role, it featured some of the best acting I've ever seen in TV/film.

Kudos to the producers/writers of this show for having the guts to depict a lot of these teens as the vicious thugs & punks that they were - instead of just some misunderstood kids who 'saw the light' at the end of the episode.

Last edited:

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
I've got the S1 set that was released first. The VEI complete set and the separate double feature issue of 2 episodes too

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpeg
    IMG_0516.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0515.jpeg
    IMG_0515.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
I didn't choose the set with the CI5: The New Professionals as the bonus as I had the Australian release and now the U.K. set

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 22

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
As has been pointed out, when watching the original series, it is interesting to see so many now big stars of TV and/or movies who were just starting out, i.e. Frances Fisher, John Goodman, etc.

A couple off the top of my head are Michael Moriarty, who would go on to Law & Order as the shows first Executive ADA, Ben Stone.

And another is Vincent D'Onofrio, who would appear in two episodes as two different people. The first appearance as a mobster (and the bad guy!). The second, he did a great job of playing a mentally handicapped man, Davey, framed for murder in "Presumption of Innocence". (I think that was the title.) I do recall that Ann Wedgeworth, who had played the older-woman love interest of Jack Tripper on Three's Company a few years before, had played Davey's mother, Irene. Funny how D'Onofrio would also eventually join the Law & Order franchise in Criminal Intent. And, of course, he had his big movie role around 1986/1987 with Full Metal Jacket.

But it is sort of fun to watch any given episode and see just how many famous and/or up and coming actors of the time one can recognize. Almost like a game...

I have never seen the films, believe it or not. The remake with Queen Latifah is decent, And the name has sort of been kept, Latifah playing Robyn McCall instead of Robert, but the original still has a little something extra. Maybe because it brings back memories of my early teen years! (And it had a killer opening theme, which the current version - and most other shows - have done away with. Thanks, Stewart Copeland!)

If for some reason anyone does not have the DVDs and wishes to revisit the show, you can stream the original series on NBC.com. Just figured I'd let people know.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
I loved THE EQUALIZER as a teen for the killer SC theme and Edward Woodward's quiet searing lead in an era of tv mediocrity for me. My first attempt at a script at age 17 was for the show and I still think my premise was awesome: a tabloid reporter finds out who McCall is and plans a a big expose until his life is threatened and guess who saves him? Tho I admit even as a smartass teen I started to lightly mock Mccall's slow rage bursts. I would say to family members in my faux-Equalizer voice, "Where...is..that...HOT DOG SIR? Can...you...please...GIVE ME THE BLOODY MUSTARD!" This series should have a major blu-ray release.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Some more S04 reviews.

-"Splinters": Kostmeyer is kidnapped by a "shadow" group who are drugging & experimenting on him,
and McCall has to save him. This was an extremely intense episode, especially Kostmeyer's drug-induced hallucinations, etc.

-"Making of a Martyr": McCall helps a gun control advocate & her husband (who was crippled because of a gunshot wound); very intense look at this controversial topic, and is even more relevant today than when the episode was released.

A notable guest star here is Tom Noonan (Manhunter).

-"Trial by Ordeal": McCall is forced to attend a secret tribunal where Control is being tried on various charges. Despite the fact that this episode uses clips from previous episodes (a practice I've never liked in TV shows, since I want to always see new material) - the older clips were important/useful in recapping previous relevant events. This was an especially solid episode, with an unexpected ending.

-"Silent Fury": McCall helps a hearing-impaired woman & her fiance, who are being targeted by a group of criminals that rob/attack deaf people in their homes. Another excellent episode, which explores a community that most people don't focus on/think about.
This is a very poignant/touching episode, especially the wedding at the end.

Notable guest stars in this episode include Cynthia Nixon (Sex & the City), John Polito (Homicide: Life on the Street), and Paul McCrane (ER TV series).

-"Lullaby of Darkness": McCall is called on by the elderly neighbor of a child & her mother, who are being victimized by the powerful, wealthy father.
Extremely unsettling episode, especially the dream sequences/fantasy world that the child created in her mind to escape the terrifying reality of abuse. This was a difficult episode to get through - due to the subject matter.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
And, some more S04 episode reviews. This was an amazing season, which is why I wrote more reviews re: these episodes (than for previous seasons):

-"The Day of the Covenant": Scott's new South African gf is being stalked & targeted by someone. McCall gets involved, and both he & Scott find out that she has some demons in her past (both literal & figurative) that she brought with her to NYC.
Very tragic episode, with a sad ending.

-"The Visitation": A doctor that McCall had been involved with years before comes to NYC & ends up trying to stop the spread of a deadly contagion brought from another country. This episode hits especially close to home due to the recent pandemic.

UK actress Jenny Agutter (Logan's Run, An American Werewolf in London) guest stars.

-"Zebra 17": Extremely disturbing episode involving the mysterious deaths of homeless men who are being picked up by a specific ambulance.
McCall gets involved, and uncovers a horrific serial killer - but not in a place you would have expected to find one.

Bill Atherton guest stars. Atherton had previously guest-starred in the amazing S03 two-parter Blood & Wine.

Some sequences in this episode involve the ambulance speeding along NYC streets @ night - with a rock/pop soundtrack playing; great ambience here. This reminds me somewhat of the underrated film Bringing out the Dead (1999); this stars Nicolas Cage as an ambulance driver in NYC.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have the DVDs from several years ago but I also kept my CBS off air SP VHS masters with the original music.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I loved THE EQUALIZER as a teen for the killer SC theme and Edward Woodward's quiet searing lead in an era of tv mediocrity for me. My first attempt at a script at age 17 was for the show and I still think my premise was awesome: a tabloid reporter finds out who McCall is and plans a a big expose until his life is threatened and guess who saves him? Tho I admit even as a smartass teen I started to lightly mock Mccall's slow rage bursts. I would say to family members in my faux-Equalizer voice, "Where...is..that...HOT DOG SIR? Can...you...please...GIVE ME THE BLOODY MUSTARD!" This series should have a major blu-ray release.

Christian, that does sound like a perfect Equalizer story. Edward Woodward would have crushed that one. It would have been a great season opener if the series had gone on to season 5. I think I read somewhere once that it had been renewed, but then Universal squashed it because CBS had been playing hardball with them about the price for renewing Murder She Wrote. Too bad if that's true. I can't get enough of Robert McCall.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Some more S04 episode reviews. S04 is definitely my favorite season - very strong, and IMHO it's slightly better than S03 - and S03 was excellent!

"Starfire": A strange, seemingly mentally ill man (Michael Moriarty) is befriended by a child who is trying to help him. He claims that he's being targeted by aliens that are out to kill him, and that he is an alien himself.
It's later proven that he was a former engineer that is actually being targeted by his former company - due to corporate secrets that he has about the company's lack of safety protocols re: their equipment, etc.

Very well-done & poignant episode. Though I typically don't like sci-fi elements in gritty crime dramas like The Equalizer (that are very much rooted in reality), this story worked here - though I'm glad they didn't make a habit of episodes like this.

"Prisoners of Conscience": McCall is asked to help when a Central American poet is kidnapped by a "death squad" from his native country.

As McCall investigates, he realizes that the elderly man who is behind the kidnapping is the same one who killed McCall's father back in the early 1950's. Tim Woodward (Ed Woodward's son IRL) guest stars, playing McCall's father in a dream sequence. Very poignant/sad & nostalgic episode, especially when McCall is remembering his youth. This is also the first & only time that we find out that McCall's mother was American - and also other details about his childhood/upbringing.

IMHO, this is the best episode in the entire series - superb.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Wrapping up my S04 reviews:

"Heart of Justice": Excellent episode that dealt with several criminals that had victimized & almost killed a man's wife & unborn child, all of whom are being let back out on the streets. The man decides to take the law into this own hands, and McCall gets involved when the sister-in-law asks him for help.
To make matters more complicated, there is a vigilante roaming the NYC streets who is killing criminals that have escaped justice. Great episode that is both sad, but also ultimately uplifting.

"Endgame": An innocent young woman is set up to make it look like she intentionally killed a work colleague during a game of paint-ball.
The woman's sister (a lawyer) is also set up to make it look like she committed a crime. McCall gets involved, and uncovers a conspiracy by a wealthy criminal who wants revenge on the lawyer for justifiably convicting his guilty son years before.

Amazing episode, with an unexpected ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks