What's new

The Comey Rule (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Just saw this. Great cast and Brendan Gleeson is really one of my favorite actors but seeing him as Trump is a bit odd. I am not sure what to think of his performance. They certainly made him look like Trump, the ridiculous hair is dead on. He's got the orange face paint but they tone that down and he is not using the weirder shade of orange that the actual Trump wears. He does do the odd mouth stuff, sort of like Baldwin but not all the time. It is an amusing performance at times and I think meant to be somewhat comedic. I was not certain if the entire story was meant to be funny or was just funny because the real Trump is ridiculously amusing and goofy. In a way I think that's hard to capture because when you are playing a man that does not know he is ridiculous and goofy, it is hard show that unawareness in the performance...it just automatically becomes comedic.

The story does stick mostly to the factual events and uses a lot of real TV news clips. At one point what were actually text message exchanges are played out as intimate conversations I imagine to show context. It seems to be trying to both show what took place while also wallowing in the absurdity of it all. This often made me wonder if they wanted the whole thing to be funny or, sort of like Kubrick with Strangelove, just decided the topic was so damn nuts that you could only portray it with a bit of a giggle. In the end I think what it does the best is to show what a bizarre time it was to live through for the people that actually were working in the FBI and intelligence services.

I recommend it for those with an interest.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I should also say it was nice to see Holly Hunter, who I've not seen in anything in a long time. She does a great job playing Sally Yates and really seemed a perfect choice to play her. I'm sure Holly has been working but probably in things I have not watched.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My spouse asked last night for TV programs that might illuminate our current historical situation. I suggested that first we watch the PBS program Washington Week in Review, and then we watched some of The Comey Rule, which is on Netflix. From my pov this miniseries is rather like the great, great grandchild of the movie All the President's Men. Back in the 1970s there were some miniseries about Watergate that I just barely recall, including the 1979 c. 6-hour miniseries Blind Ambition, which featured Martin Sheen as John Dean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks