What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Cheyenne Show on Encore Westerns Question (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I may be wrong but I think that BRONCO was brought on board when Clint Walker went out on strike. Jack Kelly probably was brought on because Garner was doing feature films at WB.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Shows produced up to 39 episodes per season back in the day. Maverick got a brother because the show found out soon after production began that they couldn't produce enough episodes with James Garner.
With 2 stars they could film 2 episodes simultaneously. With Cheyenne I believe at one time ABC wanted a full season with Clint Walker but since the episodes took over a week to produce and Clint Walker was in almost every scene, Warners turned them down. It was the same for shows such as Surfside Six and Hawaiian Eye where one star ether would be out of town or appear in just the opening or closing moments of the show. Time was the reason this was done.

Bronco did indeed start when Clint Walker walked out on his contract. The show name was changed from Cheyenne to The Cheyenne Show even though Cheyenne did not appear that season. When Clint Walker came back they kept the name as The Cheyenne Show and alternated between Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, and Bronco. Once Sugarfoot was cancelled, it was just Bronco and Cheyenne, and finally you had the last 13 episodes of Cheyenne after Bronco was cancelled.

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Clint Walker went on strike for one year and came back.
As previously mentioned,Bronco was the replacement,but was using the "CHEYENNE-Logo",for about a year.
James Garner went on strike,during his Maverick days,but never came back.
I read somewhere,he also sued WB and won his case against the studio for being underpaid etc.
There were a few people,over the years(Bette Davis etc),who were not happy with WB and rightly so.

Kronosis

Agent
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by jdee28

Was it really cheaper in those days for Warners to do a series with two alternating stars, each doing 13 episodes each, rather that do a show with one star doing a full 26 episodes? Warners did this to both Cheyenne and Maverick. Why? Was it financial or just to put the stars in their place?
If I remember correctly, this subject was addressed in the book Same Time, Same Station: Creating American Television, 1948-1961, by James L. Baughman. I'll dig it out and see what I can find out. (PS--I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in the history of tv)

i get the retro network which is showing the cisco kid the rifleman wagon train laredo and alias smith and jones

kingtuna57

Auditioning
Real Name
charles
There is one big difference between Encore showing say Maverick and Cheyenne and TV Land or ALTV showing those shows. Encore puts everything in with only the commercial "bumpers" still gone. TV Land was the worst in that they literally butchered the episodes for the sake of getting more commercial time in. ALTV did much better but still had some lead-in scenes missing from those shows. When Encore started showing Maverick, all the lead-ins were put in and it was great!! For a purest like myself, it was like Christmas morning when I saw a lead-in that I did not know even existed. One of the first season episodes of Maverick, "The Burning Sky" with Jack Kelly had one such lead-in. Didn't even know that it existed. Never saw it while it was on ALTV but there it was. Of course the real beauty is that when I record those episodes, I don't have to edit out those pesky commercials. Neat. Personally I feel that someone should come up with a new Satellite channel called Greyscale TV. A channel that would show only shows from the Black and White era of TV. Certainly the westerns and the detective shows would be covered as well as the comedies back then. Has encore shown all of the Clint Walker-containing episodes of Cheyenne?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtuna57

Personally I feel that someone should come up with a new Satellite channel called Greyscale TV. A channel that would show only shows from the Black and White era of TV. Certainly the westerns and the detective shows would be covered as well as the comedies back then.

Charles, I'm with you on that one. If such a channel ever came into being I'd never need my remote again (except to mute out a commercial or two). Boy how I wish we had a channel that only showed B&W TV shows.

Gary "I'd gladly pay a premium for such a channel" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by kingtuna57

Has encore shown all of the Clint Walker-containing episodes of Cheyenne?

Encore has gone through the Cheyenne and Maverick episodes a couple of times now. I started recording both the beginning of last summer. There are around two episodes of each that I seem to be missing. But I'm not sure if it is because I somehow missed them or they were never aired.

It is one great channel and I'm glad I'm fortunate to have it as part of my package.

I also find the THIS channel to be pretty good. From there I've been getting Sea Hunt (uncut), Mister Ed (cut), and Patty Duke (uncut). I've since stopped worrying about Mister Ed and Patty Duke since they are now readily available for purchase (at least the early seasons so far). But you do still have to edit out commercial within the episodes themselves.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yes, a cable channel devoted to b/w shows or 1950's/60's programming would be great. Originally, Boomerang was showing cartoons from that era, so it doesn't seem far fetched to have a channel dedicated to b/w TV shows of that era as well. I mean there would be far more source material for a b/w channel than what Boomerang ran with.

Encore Action also ran The Green Hornet several years ago, but that was when I only had a VHS recorder. I believe they were uncut. I hope Encore continues to delve into more 50's/60's TV.

TV Land - I gave up on them years ago.

I have not heard of the THIS channel.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by ChrisALM /forum/thread/287904/the-cheyenne-show-on-encore-westerns-question#post_3656072

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

Encore Action also ran The Green Hornet several years ago, but that was when I only had a VHS recorder. I believe they were uncut. I hope Encore continues to delve into more 50's/60's TV.

Well, yes and no. The first episode of Green Hornet is missing the tag scene. And the early episodes all had scenes from upcoming episodes. Those were deleted. Also missing were the coming attractions and last week's recaps on the 2-part episodes. None of this was Encore's fault as that was how Fox remastered them year's ago. Hey, that's funny, using Fox and the word remaster in the same sentence when talking about a 60s show.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Neil, maybe you can help me remember this, but wasn't TV LAND basically ad free the first year or so it came on the air? I remember they had retro commercials and LOTS of (admittedly creative) promos and even some PSAs, but no current advertising. I think the shows, of which there was an incredible variety at the start, were shown uncut. The present incarnation of the channel isn't even a shadow of its former self, it's an entirely new creature and one that makes the Black Lagoon one look like Cary Grant by comparison.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Neil, maybe you can help me remember this, but wasn't TV LAND basically ad free the first year or so it came on the air? I remember they had retro commercials and LOTS of (admittedly creative) promos and even some PSAs, but no current advertising. I think the shows, of which there was an incredible variety at the start, were shown uncut. The present incarnation of the channel isn't even a shadow of its former self, it's an entirely new creature and one that makes the Black Lagoon one look like Cary Grant by comparison.

I believe it was actually for the first year and a half. The only ads they ran were "retro-mercials", old, vintage commercials. And promos of course. But not every show they ran was complete, even then. It all depended on what they were given from the syndicator. So they could have one hour show coming in at 51 minutes and then the next show airing coming in at 44. I think it really depended on what they got and from whom. The shows that they bought which were transferred specifically for them, they could request whatever running time they wanted, while if it was a show with existing tape masters, then they got what was already extant.
Another great network which lasted for a short time, not sure how long but I don't think it even lasted a year, was HA!, owned by the same people. While they didn't run shows complete, they weren't too butchered either. I'm going by memory here but among the series they ran were:

Mary Tyler Moore Show, Phyllis, Rhoda, Bob Newhart Show, Steve Allen Show (50s cut downs of the prime time show), Your Show of Shows, You Bet Your Life, The Jack Benny Program, Bilko, Dobie Gillis, That Girl, Car 54 Where Are You, McHale's Navy, Candid Camera, The Lucy Show, SCTV, CPO Sharkey, Occasional Wife, Tabitha, Quark, The Associates, Bridget Loves Bernie, The Red Skelton Show, full SNL shows, etc. And I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch more.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
You're right about TV Land, Neil, it did run commercial free for longer than a year because my service didn't offer it for probably the first year or so, but I know it was still running sans ads when I got it, at least for the first few months.

I never had HA!, but a friend of mine did and recorded The Steve Allen Show for me, which didn't make much of an impression. HA! came about at the same time as another allegedly laugh filled network which was called the Comedy Network or something akin to that. At the time there was heavy criticism in the trades about the mutual debut of two new cable channels essentially competing for the same audience. After about a year or so they merged and became what is now known as Comedy Central, for better or worse.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /forum/thread/287904/the-cheyenne-show-on-encore-westerns-question/30#post_3656181

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

You're right about TV Land, Neil, it did run commercial free for longer than a year because my service didn't offer it for probably the first year or so, but I know it was still running sans ads when I got it, at least for the first few months.

TV LAND started to go downhill about 4 years in - around 2000-2001 or so. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
jdee28 said:
Was it really cheaper in those days for Warners to do a series with two alternating stars, each doing 13 episodes each, rather that do a show with one star doing a full 26 episodes? Warners did this to both Cheyenne and Maverick. Why? Was it financial or just to put the stars in their place?

It was actually up to 39 shows per season. The purpose was so that multiple episodes could be shot at the same time. It was more a matter of time than cost. I believe James Garner mentioned in his autobiography the reason they added the brother after the first few episodes was because they were falling far behind in getting episodes ready for air.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks