What's new

The Cheyenne Show on Encore Westerns Question (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have been following the Cheyenne Show on Encore Westerns. They keep skipping past the episode entitled "A Man Called Ragan" and I was wondering if anyone knows why. I sent them an email, and they state that they read emails, but don't respond to them. I would just like to find out if they will be showing this particular episode in the future.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
While "A Man Called Regan" (4/23/62) originally aired as part of "The Cheyenne Show," the episode didn't actually have Clint Walker in it. It was rather a pilot for a series that started the following season, "The Dakotas." As Encore Westerns hasn't yet aired the "Bronco" and "Sugarfoot" segments of "The Cheyenne Show," it's not surprising that they don't air this episode either.

"The Dakotas" replaced Cheyenne. "The Cheyenne Show" aired its last episode in December 1962. "The Dakotas" started in January 1963, the same night and slot Cheyenne used to have and ran for the rest of the 1962-63 season, after which it was cancelled. It was also produced by Warner Bros.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

Thanks for the explanation, John. So, if I want to see the episode, "A Man Called Ragan", I will have to wait until "The Dakotas" is broadcast?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Probably, or until they start showing the non-Clint Walker episodes of "The Cheyenne Show." But I'm not sure we'll see "The Dakotas" broadcast; it's a pretty obscure show, lasting for 19 episodes, in addition to the pilot episode. We're more likely to see "Sugarfoot" or "Bronco." Has anyone heard as to whether or not Encore Westerns will start airing one of those two?

S

silverking

Don't know about those two or 'Colt 45.' but I had heard they were going to run 'Lawman'.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

I believe it was the same announcement that said Cheyenne, Maverick and Lawman would be coming to Encore Westerns. I also believe that Sugarfoot, at one time, was running on American Life Network (which I don't get). I'm not sure about Bronco. I wish Bronco and Sugarfoot, (along with The Dakotas), would come to a network like Encore Westerns, but I haven't heard anything about that.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
When American Life made their big purchase of Warner shows a few years ago, all of the shows were remastered, including ones they didn't purchase like The Alaskans. They were rumored to be picking up Colt 45 but I don't believe it ever happened. Not sure why. But Lawman is the only thing that's coming to Encore for sure out of those shows. But I would love to see The Dakotas get aired again. Obviously it won't be a DVD candidate as Warner hasn't even put out Maverick, which is the most popular western they have.

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
It is debatable,if Maverick was Warner's most popular Western they ever had.
After all,CHEYENNE won The Golden Globe Award fot the best tv show/popular for 1958.
I don't believe Maverick won any such awards.
CHEYENNE ran for about 7-8 years,while Maverick ran for 5 Seasons.
CHEYENNE is the only show from the classic tv series from 1955-1963 which has the complete first Season onto dvd.
In my humble opinion,I believe CHEYENNE was the most popular show,during their heydays.
But,what do I know,I'm just a Babyboomer.

Tom.W

Second Unit
If memory serves, I believe The Virginian was included in that announcement from Encore. The other Warners shows, Sugarfoot and Bronco, were not part of the package as publicized. Lawman was mentioned. The Virginian was a Universal show when it aired, so it's kind of one that doesn't fit. But Encore is not necessarily tied to Warner Brothers shows. Actually, Encore did air The Virginian on its Western channel in the 90's, along with several others such as The Rebel, and Wanted Dead or Alive. So it would make sense to be included this time.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

To me, both Cheyenne and Maverick are outstanding shows. I very much want to see each of the episodes from both shows. I really can't say that I have a favorite.

When Encore Westerns skipped over the Cheyenne episode, "A Man Called Ragan" the first time through, I assumed they had just made an error in the programming of the show, as that had happened before. When they skipped over it next time around I knew I probably wouldn't get to see the episode. I just hope a way can be found to get these shows (as well as the other shows previously mentioned in this thread) out on DVD in a complete and unaltered state.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

What we realy need is a National Retro TV Typw channel where these shows get shown. TV Land was such a channel once. I don't understand how the studios can remaster these programs to let them rot in their vaults. Encore splitting off their western channel into a Western TV Channel would be a welcome thing.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Dave, you're right on target with this suggestion. I know it's been mentioned before here but it's worth repeating, imo. Gary and others have posted about this one and the national coverage is the key here, with all of the major satt, cable, & FIOS providers carrying the channel. I have to believe that there's enough of a demographic audience out there to make this fly with enough advertising revenue on a channel such as Dave suggested.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Have they aired the episode of Cheyenne that featured the character of Samantha Crawford, that later appeared on the series Maverick??

S

silverking

The episode was 'The Dark Rider' , 1st episode of S2, may actually have been made for S1 as it has the S1 opening & closing credits style & theme music. Also is of shorter length.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I checked with a "Cheyenne expert" and the episode in question has never run in any Cheyenne package. It even has a Dakotas opening. Even though it may have run on "The Cheyenne Show", it is not considered an episode of Cheyenne.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Perhaps we have imdb to thank for all this, as it lists "A Man Called Ragan" as the 14th episode of Cheyenne's 7th season. That probably should be changed.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

My source was epguides.com which listed the episode, "A Man Called Ragan", as the 14th episode of Season 6 of Cheyenne.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

Starting with Season 4, Warner Brothers made 13 episodes of Cheyenne per season. Clint Walker doesn't appear in "A Man Called Ragan" so as others have said it really isn't an episode of Cheyenne.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Was it really cheaper in those days for Warners to do a series with two alternating stars, each doing 13 episodes each, rather that do a show with one star doing a full 26 episodes? Warners did this to both Cheyenne and Maverick. Why? Was it financial or just to put the stars in their place?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks