What's new

The Big Bang Theory Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
DaveF said:
I didn't get the setup. Sheldon's sister, I dont believe, would have invited him back to witness the birth. And there continues to be the hardening of Sheldon; his comments about his nephew-to-be were more hostile than naive.
The setup makes sense to me when I fill in the blanks with the likely situation. Sheldon's sister seems unmarried or she married a military man who is currently stationed far away as there is no mention of the father at all. Mom would see this as a family situation and require Sheldon to be in attendance, regardless of Sheldon's or his sister's objections. One thing we know from past interactions is that Sheldon's mom always gets her way.

I thought Sheldon's comments were closer to Sheldon of the past than his newer and meaner self. However, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to shift Sheldon towards possibly being a father and getting the first inkling of the idea that there are things and people in life more important than yourself. Like having him amazed at holding the baby but in Sheldon fashion, seeing it as an opportunity to create/raise the smartest child on the planet as if it was his pet. This could then be used to move Shamy's relationship forward. Alas, it appears the writers are not going to move Sheldon in that direction but continue to keeps Sheldon completely self-centered and mean. Too bad.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to see the episode again, but I thought I heard dialogue along the lines that Sheldon could indeed someday teach either his nephew or his own child how to be the smartest person. Maybe it was from Leonard or Amy.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Leonard suggested that but by the end Sheldon rejected such a noble purpose because the baby had literally spent his entire life crying.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just for the sake of fun speculation; perhaps Sheldon's recent failure with his discovery and Leonard disproving it and the further disaster on the Ira Flatow Science Friday appearance, Sheldon will slowly evolve the rest of the season.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
James Earl Jones looked like he was having a lot of fun doing last night's episode. Fun cameo from Carrie Fisher, too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Good episode tonight. Did an of you think they were using a canned laughter track? The laughter seemed artificial to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I only saw the second half of the James Earl Jones episode, I guess I saw the best parts!Finally got home in time to watch tonight. Didn't think they'd actually have Sheldon and Amy kiss. But in the end, I guess Sheldon wasn't that affected by it.The train nut guy Sheldon connected to on the train reminded me of the creepy kid in Mad Men, but I looked up the actor and it wasn't him. Almost a dead ringer for an older version of him! Nice to see Raj and Evette connect!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Nelson Au said:
I only saw the second half of the James Earl Jones episode, I guess I saw the best parts!Finally got home in time to watch tonight. Didn't think they'd actually have Sheldon and Amy kiss. But in the end, I guess Sheldon wasn't that affected by it.The train nut guy Sheldon connected to on the train reminded me of the creepy kid in Mad Men, but I looked up the actor and it wasn't him. Almost a dead ringer for an older version of him!Nice to see Raj and Evette connect!
I think the fact that Sheldon even mentioned it among the list of things he told Leonard about means that it was important to him. That's something. How important is what he needs to figure out. That's kind of how I took that scene.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think the fact that Sheldon even mentioned it among the list of things he told Leonard about means that it was important to him. That's something. How important is what he needs to figure out. That's kind of how I took that scene.
Joel - That is a good observation, something that I didn't really process when I viewed the episode.

I particularly enjoyed the Howard / Bernadette interaction on the train.

- Walter.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I dreaded about half this episode. It was turning into a typical Sheldon is a terrible boyfriend to Amy and we'd all be feeling sorry for her again. I think it turned for me when Sheldon and Eric were making train noises and Amy put her fingers to her head, pulled the trigger and made the blood splatter noise. And when she stood up for herself, even better.

Sheldon did have a point: this trip was something for both of them. But there's another point, too. Valentine's, romance, doing something together...I just don't believe he's getting it, even with that final scene with Leonard.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Last night's episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but I did enjoy Amy's manipulation of Sheldon. I thought the scene was particularly well played by Mayim Bialik. I also enjoyed the attempt to trick Sheldon into moving in with her and Amy's reaction to the failure. Pretty fun stuff.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Penny's reaction to Amy's failure to get Sheldon to move in was very well done too, subtle.I thought it was cool to see a different camera angle in the apartment with the new table.This episode also started to play out like the parking space incident, and I'm glad it didn't turn into an all out war to get Sheldon's way with the table. The manipulation ploy was well done. But I'm sorry to see the baby win in the end.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, a 3 year extension and an episode without a comment.Moderately humorous episode and an interestingly deep Mom/Sheldon conversationdespite some attempts to keep Sheldon being Sheldon.The little 30 seconds of this conversation had Newhart like timing.-- I'll condemn you internally while maintaining an outward appearance of acceptance-- That is very Christian of You.Now you're going to need a stronger friend - named Latex-- Oh! Dear Lord!--Don't look to Him. He's mad at you right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks