What's new

The Beatles on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I listened to the 5.1 DTS last night.

Wow! A fantastic experiance, the only problem is it reminded me of how shit the rest of the Betles catalog sounds on CD.

But this is deffinately a new fave.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Like, WOW, man, this is just so intense...

Totally fantastic, I haven't heard it all yet, but I already love it :)

Within You Without You/Tomorrow sounds like it's was made today, it just goes to show how timeless this music is.

This will spin a lot at my house, I can tell :)

dconne

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I'm having the same problem as Bradley had -- unable to access the DTS and Dolby Digital versions on the LOVE dvd - my Panasonic RP91 goes straight to the PCM track. I can't find any way to load it into a DVD-V function, as described above. Can anyone help me out? Is this problem a function of the RP91's age?

Thanks,

DC

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, cripes, even the CD sounds good!

While I am among the chorus touting the 5.1 mix (and NO, you do NOT need 5 full range speakers to enjoy it), I had a chance to listen to the CD in its entirety, and would have to say that it is a fine sounding hunk of music in its own right.

Before I played it, but after listening to the 5.1, I thought there was no way that I would be able to like it in 2CH, but let me say that that opinion was wrong.

This may well be compressed, limited, maximized, and others be the sonic equivalent of the devil's spawn, but it sounds very good to me.

In fact, for me, it is without a doubt the best sounding Beatles music I have ever heard. The same tracks on the '87 CD's are not going to hold up very well at all compared to their "Love" equivalents. This is well worth the $10 US, IMHO.

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Lets be clear....if the menu does not show an "audio" choice, then you are not getting the PCM track, you are getting the 5.1 DVD-A track. The 2CH PCM track is on the DVD-V layer.

Somewhere in the player set-up, there should be a choice to play DVD content via the DVD-A layer or the DVD-V layer. I don't have a 91, but all of my Denon and Pio Uni Players have such a choice.

It would seem to be an odd design choice for a player to automatically default to the DVD-A layer, and not give the user the choice.

Good Luck!

Brian

Paul Mazz

Grip
The dvd-audio 5.1 mix is unbelievable! I just wanted if anyone else had this problem: On the dvd-audio layer, my disc stops at the end of track 21 and does not continue to track 22 unless I hit the next track button on my remote.

One other question, playing through my Denon 3802 receiver, it sounds like the dolby digital and DTS tracks have more bass than the dvd-audio track. Is that possible? Its not that easy for me to listen to them back to back, as I have to eject the disc before my dvd player will let me switch from dvd-audio to dvd-video. Any input would be appreciated

Sure hope they release the last few Beatles albums in 5.1!

Paul Mazz

Grip
Just got part of my answer. At least one other person has a track change problem at the change between track 21 and 22. Just saw this on Amazon's site.

"It could jut be my DVD player (I have yet to check on another player), but playback of the DVD mysteriously stops at the end of "Back in the USSR"; I have to skip to the next track to get playback to resume."

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Crap, I have the same problem. I had hoped it was just an isolated case. I returned my first copy today, but haven't had a chance to check out the replacement.

FWIW, I have a Harman Kardon DVD 47.

I'll post again once I've had a chance to check out the new disc.

Mark

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

And to make matters more interesting, some software will make its own choice of what to play. I just found out that my HP laptop's Quickplay DVD player chooses the DVD-A layer (with no speaker audio, and I have to have an optical digital adapter and cable connected to my headphone out to hear it in 96/24 on my HT), yet on the laptop's Windows Media Player it defaults to the DVD-V/PCM/DD/DTS layer!

Truly bizzare!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Well, my replacement disc is defective as well. When playing the DVD-A tracks straight through, it locks up just after Track 22 starts ("While My Guitar...). If I go directly to Track 22, though, it plays fine.

There's no point in continuing to return these to the store, I suppose. I wonder if a replacement plan will be offered. Any idea who should we contact?

Mark

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I had the same problem with my Denon 2900, a stoppage between Revolution and Back in the USSR. When I switched to the Panasonic RP91, that gap did not occur, but I did have a slight pause between USSR and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Strange.

- Steve

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn! I was out today, yet forgot all about this release.

I really don't want to brave the Black Friday crowds either....

Guess I'll have to wait. Were retailers stocking more than just a few copies? Were they typically found in the CD section--or the DVD/Music section?

dconne

Auditioning
Real Name
David

Steve:

Are you able to access the DD & DTS tracks on the "Love" dvd on your RP91? I can't get to them on my RP91 - it will only access the PPCM track.

David

Paul D G

Screenwriter
One thing I forgot to add, there ARE 5.1 mixes of Beatles albums floating about out there. Some guys have taken it upon themselves to remix them. ABBEY ROAD does indeed sound great, but the mix must have been mis-encoded: all the vocals come from the rear speakers - it's like Front L/R got swapped with Rear L/R.

BTW - I went out and bought some 5.1 speakers for my office so I can listen to this and other surround CDs while I work. :) It's the only way I'll get to enjoy these things!

-paul

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
David, I have not tried to access the three DVD-Video layer tracks on the RP91. As I recall, the RP91 defaults to the DVD-Audio track layer, which makes it a tad difficult to hear the 5.1 mix if you do not have the discrete 5.1 outputs connected. There may be some setup menu setting I've not played around with, however.

- Steve

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent! I really enjoyed this. The DVD-A sound quality is exceptional.

I also had the pause/lockup with 3 seconds left on track 21. Track 22 started playing after about 5-6 seconds without my having to hit the skip button. I'm using a Kenwood DV-5700 Sovereign.

Jerry

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul,

Loved those mash-up links. A great example of how
good a mash-up can be. I sort of wish Love was
more like this, but I really have no complaints about the job
that Sir Martin and his son have done here.

I have a terrific DVD-A sound system in my car -- the perfect
setup to listen to this new 5.1 mix. I also happen to be a huge
Beatles fan.

This CD is absolutely stunning! Listening to these new mixes
makes these old Beatles classics sound as fresh as today's music.

I also cannot believe that no-one has put any effort into
putting The Beatles catalog onto a high resolution audio format.
This is something that absolutely needs to be done!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Well, Neil Aspinall was quoted during the Apple vs. Apple trial as saying that Apple was remastering the Beatles catalog.

I don't know that the quality of this set automatically gives us a hint as to what may be coming in terms of a proper remastering effort, but a lot of Beatles fanatics over at Steve Hoffman's forums are thinking along those lines.

Once you hear the tracks on "Love", the same tracks from the '87 Beatles CD's are going to sound very, very poor in comparison.

I would hope Apple uses the same team that did "Love" for the remasters (assuming they are doing remasters). Giles and George Martin, and whoever engineered "Love" have my vote.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks