What's new

The Beatles on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

The mixdown does work on my Pio 45a, which I have set to 2CH mode in my 2CH rig.

Seems to me that I have seen that message on other discs when I play them on my Denon 3910. But that is set for 5.1 mode. I will check the display of the 3910 when playing "Love", since it has taken up almost permanent residency in the 3910, and is sitting in the disc tray as I type.

Brian

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Just purchased this disc and I have to say its just killer. I too am not the biggest Beatles fan but always enjoyed their music and this is like a breath of fresh air. Steller!! Some of the mixes are spine tingling and listening to the Fab Four with their harmonies sounding so good makes me wish I could have friends and family over right now at this minute to experience this.

For people that I know that have decent surround sound systems this will be a very popular christmas gift :)

GregK

Screenwriter

I can't speak for the RP91 model, but on the Panasonic S55, after the disc has been inserted, you then go to the SETUP mode. Look under the mysterious OTHERS section, where one finds a setting called DVD-VIDEO mode, turn this to ON, hit SETUP to exit, and you're good to go for standard DVD playback of a DVD-Audio disc. Again, this is for the Panasonic S55 setup menu.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'd like to add more comments to this thread....

I was a huge Beatles fan. Huge! I own all their albums and
have countless other material that perhaps shouldn't be discussed
in this forum. Probably stuff no different than most other Beatles
diehards already own.

.....but something happened a few years ago. I stopped listening
to The Beatles. I just got burned out on their music. I never thought
I would get tired of listening to them, but after years of hearing their
music on CD and in heavy radio rotation, my ears just became tired.

This DVD-A of LOVE has been a remarkable experience
for me. First, it does an incredible and very "tasteful" job of
presenting this music in a way it has never been done before.
Secondly, listening to this disc on a high resoultion format with
amazing surround is something that needs to be experienced.
I am very fortunate to have a high end DVD-A 5.1 system in
my Acura vehicle. Being enclosed in such a small environment,
listening to this DVD-A at high volume levels, has been an
absolute delight.

I am so very happy that DVD-A was considered for this project.
I have only a few DVD-A discs and basically have abandoned the
format for its poor selection of titles. I hope that somehow the
release of LOVE on this format will spark new interest in
high resolution audio and that we start to see a flow of new titles.

LOVE has brought a freshness to The Beatles work that
these tired ears greatly appreciated. For the past two weeks I
have listened to this music nonstop during my daily commute. I
don't expect that to change anytime soon.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I hear ya Ron, I listened to mine 3 times in a row on Saturday. Never done THAT with ANY disc before.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Bought this at Wallymart Saturday but my Wife will not let me have it til Christmas! :frowning: Cant wait to hear Revolution in DVD-A 5.1 should sound great!

Wes

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yup...one of the highlights. Not for an aggressive surround mix (such a straight-ahead rocker wouldn't really lend itself to that, I think), but for the visceral, alive quality of the guitars...fantastic! Try not to play air guitar and scream along with John...I dare you. ;)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

"Love" would have been worth the $15 I paid even if the only track on it was the 5.1 mix of Revolution.

No sh*t. I kid you not. It is stunning.

Of course, so is "Come Together", "Here Comes the Sun", "Mr. Kite/I want You, She's So Heavy".......and pretty much every other track on the disc.

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

The main thread has about 1,000 posts in it, IIRC, and from a purely unscientific read, I would say that the vast majority love it.

A very few members just can not seem to bring themselves to enjoy it for what it is, but as I said, it seems to me that those in favor out number those opposed by a wide margain.

Brian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brian,

I can relate....

I have a friend at work who is a HUGE Beatles fan. He brings
his iPod to work and most of what is on it is Beatles music.

He listened to Love on The Beatles website, but can't
bring himself to buying it. He says that he just doesn't agree
with what has been done to the music.

I disagree with his opinion. With the exception of strings added
to While My Guitar Gently Weeps, every ounce of that
CD is all original Beatles material with no added outside musicians
or effects.

The CD has been "tastefully" done, and from what I have read,
most die-hard fans are accepting of it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No disagreement here. In fact, if I could grab such incredible versions in i-tunes fashion of the whole catalog, $255 for "Abbey Road" wouldn't seem all that excessive given the order-of-magnitude higher amount I've got tied up in really crap discs and music. Well, maybe they'd cut a deal on the medleys. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
add me to the list of casual fans (never loved them, didn't hate them, really does anyone not like at least a few beatles songs?) who just got a lot more excited with the Beatles after this. And as impressive as "Kite" and the more ambitiously sonic numbers are, the clarity and beauty of the softer tracks like "Blackbird" are equally impressive.

This is my only Beatles CD outside of "Live At The BBC". If they do the entire catalog like this (hi-rez mono/stero for the original albums, with 5.1 remixes), I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Really great stuff.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
What makes me wonder after listening to this a few times is why can't all DVD-A's be produced this well.

I have complaints about my system at times being muddy when playing NIN, Beck's Guero, etc.

Then when I play stuff that is more clean it lacks a solid audio impact.

Love is perfect. Its driving and makes me not think anything is wrong with my system anymore :)

Of course it has made me start to get the stuff for my new sonotube subs. They bass track is so well done that I think this DVD-A will grow with the system and it really has driven me to get in gear on doing the new setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks