What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically...not a non-story.

In Indiana, you can now be pulled over for causing a fast lane traffic backup. So...if a self-driven car tries to pass a semi...and "gets stuck" there for miles on end...

Also...can the cars move themselves over for police/ambulances on the side of the road, another requirement in Indiana that comes with a very hefty ticket(and often why, in numerous locations...highway patrol works in teams).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What I meant was that they didn't have to be speeders to get stuck behind it!

And I KNOW your grandma doesn't drive in the passing lane. Right????? :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Faraday's leak was true, it's a concept vehicle that represents their -MODULAR- platform. Their chassis is nearly infinitely reconfigurable from mini to supercar, with batteries, engines and autonomy alacart.
http://www.faradayfuture.com/index.html

http://gizmodo.com/faraday-future-will-challenge-tesla-with-this-crazy-ele-1750892359?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10711164/faraday-future-ffzero1-concept-car-announced-photos-ces-2016

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

While I'm a little surprised, I guess I shouldn't be. Just give it a few years for the technology to mature and then you'll start seeing a reversal - laws where the cars can't have steering wheels, people can't drive, etc. etc.

This part, though, I found to be ludicrous - "Behind the controls, they would need a licensed driver with an “autonomous vehicle operator certificate” capable of taking control if something goes awry." Uh, that would be a DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!! But yet, they gotta have more bureaucracy and fees.......

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Yeah not for a hundred years

I doubt that. Just look over in the 'What annoys you thread" - there's a law in Washington state to stay in the left lane except to pass. I'm sure it's meant to help prevent traffic congestion. Now, extrapolate it to this situation - you started this thread at the beginning of 2014. Just a little over 2 years later we already have multiple companies getting together to form a lobbying group. Once we start seeing autonomous vehicles on the road we're going to start seeing people pushing for this; for safety reasons.

The point is, that the technology is developing fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks