What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think in most cases the human Ferrari driver will want to DIY that kind of experience.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A self-driving Ferrari kind of defeats the purpose of a Ferrari.

It's almost like, I don't know, a Porsche SUV or something. An affront to humanity.

Oh wait. . . :( :angry: :wacko: :blink:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Cameron Yee said:
I think in most cases the human Ferrari driver will want to DIY that kind of experience.

the ironic thing is that these are probably the types of drivers that society would benefit most from by getting them off the road.

it is not a good thing to promote deadly weapons as things of enjoyment

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
Door to door service Schan, parking lots can be fully vertical in the future =)

schan1269 said:
I wonder if a fully autonomous electric car(granted yes there are automated gas pumps...) could be programmed to take itself for new tires and brake jobs...on its own.

I'd be in for that...

gas powered...

"Dear owner, I need an oil change. While you have lunch, I'll be back in an hour..."

Electric...

"I'll do your errands today, the dry cleaners has a drive through...I talk, stay on the couch...I'll be back..."

Yes, please. Car drops me off at the mall during Christmas shopping season. I do my shopping while it sorts out parking on its own. Maybe it re-charges its batteries while I'm away. When I'm done shopping, I send a request with my smartphone app; it signals when it's moved through the smartcar queue and is ready to pick me up.

Can't wait :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
jimmyjet said:
the ironic thing is that these are probably the types of drivers that society would benefit most from by getting them off the road.

it is not a good thing to promote deadly weapons as things of enjoyment
So, you've never owned a vehicle you've enjoyed driving...

Current "just because they are fun" stable...

69 Sprite
95 Miata
86 Ninja 1000
78 CJ5 304 3-speed

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
schan1269 said:
So, you've never owned a vehicle you've enjoyed driving...

Current "just because they are fun" stable...

69 Sprite
95 Miata
86 Ninja 1000
78 CJ5 304 3-speed
Funnily enough folks like yourself possessing such impressive wealth as to own four vehicles for no reason other than "fun," are likely to be the first adopters of self driving cars.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Adam_S said:
Funnily enough folks like yourself possessing such impressive wealth as to own four vehicles for no reason other than "fun," are likely to be the first adopters of self driving cars.
Not "impressive wealth".

More a lifetime of never having to use bank loans. When I was 16, my father left 5 of us(mother and brothers) each a low 6 figure total.

Unlike my brothers who spent theirs(two paid their houses off), I've grown mine.

Never had a mortgage.
Never had a car loan.
Every month, my credit card is paid off.

Paid for 4 years of IU...without touching it.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
To me all that qualifies as impressive, congrats! And my definition of wealthy wouldn't be an income number, but rather having no debt (mortgage or car or student loans etc). You're living the dream!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Adam_S said:
To me all that qualifies as impressive, congrats! And my definition of wealthy wouldn't be an income number, but rather having no debt (mortgage or car or student loans etc). You're living the dream!
Living "the dream" will be if I "retire" at 50.

My GF is going on her last enlistment. When done...she's done. Off to the private sector she goes(helicopter mechanic).

Wants me to join her...and she doesn't plan on living in the US. Which means...I can't(officially) work...unless I emigrate.

(I've raised her daughter since she was 2, while she travelled the world on the military dime. So...)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Getting off topic here folks, and way too personal.

I believe driving for fun will be possible long after autonomous cars are commonplace. We'll see.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
True, but you can be sure that nanny-state types will start the call to ban manual-drive cars as soon as it's technologically feasible. Who knows what might happen after a few generations. . .

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Sam Posten said:
Getting off topic here folks, and way too personal.

I believe driving for fun will be possible long after autonomous cars are commonplace. We'll see.

me, too - especially since i dont think they will become commonplace !!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dave: that's quite a diatribe. My original reaction was to hide the whole post as against our P&R ban. I'll give you a chance to pull out the conspiracy theory portions before I do if you want but it's going to have to get edited somehow

And in this corner...
Reid Hoffman lays out the case for an orderly transition to mandatory autonomous vehicles:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/driving-networked-age-reid-hoffman

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sam I am not sure sure what part you feel is theory because what the NSA is doing is well known to many. I was trying to show that we can not assume that data transmitted could very well be used in ways we will not like.

I'll give you a chance to pull out the conspiracy theory portions before I do if you want but it's going to have to get edited somehow

To be honest I do not appreciate that. I am not sure how my post may have violated any site rules and I kinda fell censored but I decided to just delete the post because I do not want for there to be a problem.

Another thing I was trying to show that there are a number of technologies that are not secure and we can not assume that self driving cars will be any different. Hopefully there will not be any issues but the door is open for there to be privacy issues.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I think the largest reveal of self-driving cars is it shows how distracted drivers of today are. Google's vehicles have been involved in how many accidents since they were put on the road? And every single accident is caused by a distracted driver. Personally, I have started putting my phone in my pocket before I get in my car and only answer incoming calls on my bluetooth hands free device. I don't make calls or read and respond to texts while in motion. The more I pay attention to other drivers on my hour long commute to work each day (and return commute back home), the more I realize other drivers are incredibly horrible at what they are doing. I'm all for a car that could drive me to work or to the mall and let me relax and peruse HTF, but I also want the option to take control myself on a twisty back road and let my car stretch its legs. I bought a 180bhp sports car for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks