What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But you'd get that from the manufacturers anyway - they need to show the public that their product(s) is safe. No, what they want is control.

You can type that with a straight face, when the history of the automobile industry demonstrates the exact opposite? Even NASA (the last ones you would expect to do so) cut corners which resulted in the "Challenger" explosion.

The fact is these 50,000+ pound rigs are going to be driving around autonomously with electronic systems full of chips supplied by the lowest bidder. I don't doubt more than a few of them will have more than their share of counterfeit Chinese chips as manufacturers cut corners to raise profits.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for the AI that will finally replace all of the engineers who come up with these ideas and the CEOs who foam at the mouth to adopt them, because it means one less dollar that they have share with another person.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The one thing that "Fate of The Furious" had going for it is it presented a scenario that should make society think twice before slobberingly accepting autonomous driving vehicles.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller

They are not as close as they are leading you to believe. My wife works in competitive analysis for a major truck manufacturing company. They have hybrid and autonomous trucks in testing. Challenge battery packs are too heavy to give trucks enough range which is why they are doing hybrid right now. Autonomous is very real and being tested quite a bit. This could be one of the biggest advancements in trucking. We will see.

I think Autonomous cars are cool but as a IT guy I do worry about zero day bugs and hacking of my car. Vendors can't even protect computers right now and you expect them to do a better job for your car? F8 was a little over the top though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
No. What I posted is meant to show that opposition to new technology is nothing new, and often rather silly.

That link goes to an article entitled "Virtual Reality Project Imagines What Manhattan Sounded Like in 1609," which has nothing to do with traffic laws or opposition to new tech.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That link goes to an article entitled "Virtual Reality Project Imagines What Manhattan Sounded Like in 1609," which has nothing to do with traffic laws or opposition to new tech.
That's strange, because I just clicked on it, and it went to "Ridiculous UK traffic laws of yore".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. What I posted is meant to show that opposition to new technology is nothing new, and often rather silly.

And I think just accepting technology like this with out questioning its safety and societal repercussions is silly.

They are not as close as they are leading you to believe. My wife works in competitive analysis for a major truck manufacturing company. They have hybrid and autonomous trucks in testing. Challenge battery packs are too heavy to give trucks enough range which is why they are doing hybrid right now. Autonomous is very real and being tested quite a bit. This could be one of the biggest advancements in trucking. We will see.

I think Autonomous cars are cool but as a IT guy I do worry about zero day bugs and hacking of my car. Vendors can't even protect computers right now and you expect them to do a better job for your car? F8 was a little over the top though.

Thank you. I'm not saying that F8 is the objective truth. All I said was that it presented a scenario that should make people stop and think before blindly adopting this type of tech. And, frankly, if you look at how Mercedes-Benz envisions integration of autonomous vehicle communication then F8 suddenly doesn't look so far fetched in depicting a vehicular DDOS attack.

They can't even secure systems from being hacked now. What makes people think that they will be able to secure autonomous vehicle systems from compromise? The more intgrated and complex these systems become, the more vulnerable they become to unintended loopholes or intentional back doors.

Maybe a lot of guys are looking forward to watching 50,000 pound trucks drive around without people in them. I certainly am not. And not just from the safety aspect of it, but from the concern that we are going to destabilize society if we keep eliminating massive amounts of gainful human employment. Not everyone can be or wants to be a CEO, CFO, politician or
engineer.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
And I think just accepting technology like this with out questioning its safety and societal repercussions is silly.
I've never read anything that says a great deal of thought isn't going into the safety aspects of this technology.

the concern that we are going to destabilize society if we keep eliminating massive amounts of gainful human employment. Not everyone can be or wants to be a CEO, CFO, politician or
engineer.
Such concerns were voiced going back to the invention of the printing press, which made the laborious copying of books by hand obsolete. No one questions now that the printing press was a great innovation. It takes a small fraction as many people to produce food as it used to. I doubt that anyone wants to go back to 16 backbreaking hours of labor everyday just to eat, even though it meant plenty of work for everyone. Automation has made us immensely more prosperous, AND given us much more leisure time and lifestyle choices, choices that would not have been possible without automation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks