What's new

THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993) (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Just saw a very nice 35mm print of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE last week, with Scorsese in attendance, and was reminded again of what an utter masterpiece this film is and, of course, how much I'd like to own a Blu-ray edition of it. Has an HD version shown up on any of the cable channels? I'd imagine Sony, even with their not very encouraging track record vis-a-vis catalog Blu-ray discs, would do this one one their own at some point, rather than outsourcing it to Twilight Time or Image. Have there been any rumblings as of yet?
Would be a day 1 purchase for me regardless of who puts it out, but I am somewhat surprised we haven't seen it yet given its pedigree and the fact that its reputation should only grow as the years go on...the fact that it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture, Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress is more than a little flabbergasting to say the least.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
They outsourced the re-issue of the DVD to Image a couple years ago, so who knows if Image, Mill Creek, Twilight or (can we hope?) Criterion may get it.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Brandon Conway said:
They outsourced the re-issue of the DVD to Image a couple years ago, so who knows if Image, Mill Creek, Twilight or (can we hope?) Criterion may get it.
Can you imagine Mill Creek getting THE AGE OF INNOCENCE for Blu-ray?! :D Can't say that would be my first choice, but it would no doubt be quite a feather in their cap. That said, if it isn't Sony themselves, I'd imagine they'd go with Image...just don't think they'd limit this to 3000 units, but who knows...
Did not realize that Image had handled the re-issue of the DVD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/321885/the-age-of-innocence-1993#post_3943551
... That said, if it isn't Sony themselves, I'd imagine they'd go with Image...just don't think they'd limit this to 3000 units, but who knows...

If Sony doesn't think it can sell more than 3000 copies of a Julia Roberts chick-flick classic like Steel Magnolias, or a film (As Good As It Gets) which brought home Best Actor & Actress awards for its leads, I can't imagine they'd have higher hopes for a stately art-house costume drama, even if it was helmed by America's Greatest Living Director - especially since Age Of Innocence was significantly outgrossed at the box office by each of those titles.

Sad to say, but I actually think Twilight Time is our best hope to see this great film on Blu.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Sad, indeed. I don't really disagree with anything you're saying, Craig. I do, however, think the audience for STEEL MAGNOLIAS and AS GOOD AS IT GETS is different than the audience for an auteur-driven piece such as THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. It's an audience--largely composed of cinephiles--that I think is more likely to double-dip / go for a Blu-ray edition
Craig S said:
If Sony doesn't think it can sell more than 3000 copies of a Julia Roberts chick-flick classic like Steel Magnolias, or a film (As Good As It Gets) which brought home Best Actor & Actress awards for its leads, I can't imagine they'd have higher hopes for a stately art-house costume drama, even if it was helmed by America's Greatest Living Director - especially since Age Of Innocence was significantly outgrossed at the box office by each of those titles.
Sad to say, but I actually think Twilight Time is our best hope to see this great film on Blu.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Amazon now has a high definition master of The Age of Innocence that's available for free streaming for prime members. Just watched it and it looks very good to my eyes. What an exquisite film. Even though I saw it before a long, long time ago, and even read the novel, the emotional effect at the end was still a surprise. This should be on blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It certainly should be. It's one of those films people tend to forget about for some reason, but I enjoy it every time I watch it.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Yes, it's an under-appreciated Scorsese film. I would love to see Criterion acquire the rights, as my appetite was whetted recently by an HD airing on TV. It rankles me when I encounter people who think Scorsese made only gangster films (sigh).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Age of Innocence is visually sumptuous and impeccably staged and acted. It is also Scorsese's most erotic film (when Archer unbuttons the Countess' glove and kisses the back of her hand sparks fly) as well as one of his most violent films without spilling a single drop of blood. Society's conventions can be deadly cruel.

BillWatkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
If Image is going to be releasing The Age of Innocence on Blu, then I hope they continue the trend with more Sony films from the 90s such as The Prince of Tides, Philadelphia, and The Remains of the Day.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that "Age of Innocence" is available for download from iTunes UK store in HD. It would be great to know what this looks like? But no-one is reviewing iTunes movie downloads from what I can see. What really concerns me is what is the source for the iTunes version, in comparison to any future BRD release. If the iTunes HD download uses an old DVD master then I'd rather stick with my DVD, but when it comes to comparing iTunes HD downloads vs BRD where they have the same master, then for me decision is not so clear cut. In this instance there is no UK BRD version of "Age of Innocence" currently available and I feel like watching the best version available, but is that the iTunes HD release? My curiosity is sure to get the better of me, if that is the case I will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks