What's new

Test (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike, just Google "Richard Lynn University Ulster IQ survey" and see what you find.
Lynn's on the board of directors of the Pioneer Fund. Lynn also comments on gender IQ diferences. I guess he's not scared of stating "mildly controversial" positions. :eek: At this point I think I'll leave you in Google's capable hands...
Nice weather we're having.....

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I had picked up a nail in one of my tires at the dump in San Jose last Saturday, so I put on the spare to drive to Boise Sunday.
Tuesday I went into a local tire chain to get the nail hole patched (all the stores belong to different chains than those available in San Jose). They patched it and wouldn't take any money for it, stating they noticed I was new in town and they wanted me to think of them when it came time for me to purchase new tires.
I went down to the Sheriff's office and got my Idaho driver's license. It took me only a short time and $45 for a license good for 8 years.
I then went to the building next door, where they issue titles and registrations. I could only register the F-150 because they need to do a physical check of the VIN, and my Miata is still parked in San Jose. I requested the special "wildlife series" plates with the rampant elk pictured thereon - none of that damned "Famous Potatoes" for me. After the clerk filled out the paperwork...I didn't have to....she wandered over to a counter and picked up a set of plates and handed them to me right then and there. The bill for a set of commemorative plates, change of title, and vehicle registration good for TWO years was $112. (I think the bill in California for all that would have been closer to $700.)
id2001elk.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've never had very much luck with my Brother Fax 770 machine. It always took several HOURS to get it to work when I lived in San Jose. The last time I tried to use it in San Jose it simply wouldn't work at all.
This morning I unpacked it and tried to get it to work here in Boise. All it would do is go "beep beep beep....." continuously until I jerked the power cord from the wall socket. It would never display messages of any kind on its alphanumeric display. The helpful manual suggested that I try making a copy with it to see what worked. Nothing worked.
I'd had it with this particular fax machine for 5 years. So I took it onto the patio and smashed it onto a corner of the concrete pad. This had the two objectively useful functions of (1) being emotionally satisfying to me and (2) the shattered remains fit more compactly into my garbage can.
After an hour of reflection, I decided that perhaps I had acted hastily. So I went onto Google and searched for "brother fax 770 problems" to see if there were some well-documented fixes for this particular machine. What I found was interesting. NOBODY was able to get these damned things to work. One particular product review site said it was "simply the worst peice [sic] of technology I've ever used," and showed a photo of the reviewers SMASHING IN ONTO THE CONCRETE behind their office before dumpstering the beast. See http://stuff.silverorange.com/archiv.../april/brother .
And yes, you have guessed it: this was a "terrific bargain from Fry's Electronics."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Here in my new home in Boise,I was just in the backyard working the barbeque. I heard this nasty-sounding discordant horn being blown in my neighborhood, and wondered what the heck it was. Then it dawned on me....it's sunset...and it's passover. It's a shofur!
Many of my liberal friends have voiced concerns about my moving to Boise. They think that Idaho is a refuge for neo-Nazi skinhead gun-nut groups. I have to keep reminding them that Idaho had the first Jewish governor in US history - Moses Alexander - elected for two terms starting in 1915. http://www.idahohistory.net/moses_alexander.html
So yes, this is a conservative state, but it's a libertarian conservative state. And you may hear a shofur being blown at sunset in your suburban neighborhood. How cool is that?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Very cool.

Phil Farnsworth developed the early concepts which lead to television in Idaho. When he was only 15!

Walter Johnson played ball in Idaho...before signing with the Senators.

Ernest Hemingway died in Idaho.

I lived in the Catskills for six years. I've heard the ram's horn blown on many an occasion...but I don't think of it in connection with Passover. Yom Kippor and Rosh Hashanah, usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks