What's new

Terk XM Commander (1 Viewer)

anthony p

Auditioning
Any experience with this unit? My brother wants one for Christmas and I have no experience with satellite radio at all. Local shop wants $179 + $65 to install. Can buy online for $129.99. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to have a local dealer install an XM Terk tuner connected to my Pioneer "XM Ready" head unit on Saturday. It was going to be $100 for the tuner plus adapter and antenna plus $50 installation.

When they started the installation they told me that since I had a cd changer connected to my head unit that they couldn't install the XM tuner since it only allows for one IP-Bus connection. They told me that I would have to spend $220 just to get the Pioneer XM tuner.

So instead of costing $150 it would cost close to $300 so I decided not to do it. They should offer something like Directv does. If you sign a 1 year agreement you get the equipment for free.

I don't know why they call these head units "XM Ready" if you have to spend a few hundred dollars to get them actually ready.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I just picked up an XM Commander the other day. Haven't had a chance to install it but it looks relatively easy especially if you already have an aftermarket deck in the car.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor

If you are looking for a permanent, sleek install than you have no ther choice. The other plug and play units that are designed to operate back and forth from house to car do not look as sleek when installed or have as good modulation when transmitting via FM. The commander is desinged to wire stright into your headunit via rca or through an intenna adapter that sit between your am/fm antenna feed and the head unit. Modulation performance is pretty good. I rarely have to cange the broadcast frequency due to static.

My gripes with the commander are that it is not as full featured as it should be. Small screen, not too many features. Also the interface is cumbersome, i.e. having to switch from different banks of presets instead of having the unit link to them automatically.

As for install, if you are not proficient dont do it. This is not like throwing in a pnp unit. If you can do head units and amps though, it will not be much trouble.

Overall I am happy. It is a competant performer, and really a one man show when it comes to permanent auto installs. The remote is great as well. It could be better, but what couldent?

-rob

Dustin:B

Auditioning
I haven't used the seperate 'commander', but the direct connect mode is pretty sweet. I have it on my pioneer, its pretty nice. I have had a small streak of problems with it though, such as the right channel going out, reception, etc. If your running an aftermarket deck, I'd suggest getting the manufacturer's setup (ie. Pioneer GEX, alpine ai-net module, etc), the pioneer and sony ones kick butt, the reception is great, they work flawlessly, they're just a little more expensive.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor

Shows how much you know. The terk is not an antenna, it is an entire control unit.

This is exactly the reason why I stopped frequenting this forum. I used to be 5-10 posts a day. Now I visit twice a year. People respond as if they are speaking the gospel, when they have no idea what is even being discussed.

See you in 6 months

-rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks